Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times

Advertisements

over the summer, we bought a this tent. Worked out great for us, but somehow, the bag with the poles never made it back home. So now we have a perfectly usable tent w/ no poles. I'd hate to get trash the tent just b/c of this, but I've been unable to find replacement poles. I can't even find the maker of these tents, otherwise, I'd go strait to them. I've found some replacement poles on Amazon, but have no clue if these would fit our tent. does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 05:06 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
What brand of tent is it?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
Coleman makes tent pole repair kits, to replace or repair tent poles. It's a universal kit, I think. Check online for it.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I had to look and see what tent it was. I had both poles and tent come loose from my luggage rack years ago. I saw the poles fly off, turned around on the interstate and picked them up, then continued to backtrack thinking I'd get the rest of the tent. Almost. I spotted someone else picking it up. They sped up and I wasn't able to catch them. Scoundrels! I still have the poles in my garage. No, they wouldn't help you, unfortunately.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
That's a bummer to lose the poles. The replacement poles are cheap enough that it might be worth trying a couple. Maybe you can trim them down if they're too long.

Otherwise, I'd probably just buy the same tent again and then keep the first one in case it ever rips. There's a couple on eBay now.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
They list these as 25.5 inches which is just a little more than 8 feet:

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-8-Inc...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

Your tent is listed as 10*8 so you would probably need at least four sets, five sets when you include the pole for the rain fly. The shock cord probably won't be long enough etc. Even if they were to work you're looking at $60, how much does the tent cost? Can't be much more.

My advice is buy a good a tent, you'll never regret it. For harsher conditions like rain and wind there is simply no comparison against a good tent. With proper care it will last a lifetime and most of the better tent manufacturers offer very good warranties and service. North Face used to have what had to be the best warranty in the business, true lifetime warranty. You could send it back at anytime and even get your money back no questions asked but that was two decades ago.

They have since changed that policy unfortunately as their business expanded and they started catering to a more common crowd for lack of a better term. They still offer a very good warranty. I recently ripped the rain fly on one I purchased ten years ago through no fault of the manufacturer and they offered me any tent I wanted half price. If they had still been making the tent they probably would have sent me new rain fly.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-10-2011 at 01:41 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
thanks for the links/info. honestly, it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle on my end since we just used it for an outdoor music festival and there's guarantee we're returning net year. I may just put the tent up on freecycle and give it away to someone who wants give it a shot w/ the poles and, if need be, buy another tent if the time comes (the tent itself was only about $60 on Amazon, no major loss of money). it seems weird that the poles aren't easily replaceable, unless I just bought a weird brand. maybe buying from REI or similar store would be better

Old 12-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
... maybe buying from REI or similar store would be better
REI would have been my first stop (Since I buy 'Co-op centric'). BUT a 'surplus' store would be another choice. I think you need to find something close and modify (getting used tent poles from someone who's tent ripped / trashed).

I lost my 40 yr old tent (multiple rips) due to some kids running through a campground after dark. It had pretty old fashioned poles...(long b4 fiberglass and elastic assemblies). It had served on several continents and thousands of nights. (It was $39.95 back in 1970's).

Wish I was closer... I had bought a new tent, but it got shipped to Haiti for the Earthquake victims. I'm back under a tarp.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It had pretty old fashioned poles...(long b4 fiberglass and elastic assemblies).
Aluminum? The better tents come with aluminum poles. About the same thing used for shafts on arrows.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
I have a bunch of aluminum poles from a 3 room cabin tent we used to have. Always thought of them as lightning rods. I'm kind of glad to have fiberglass poles now, even though they're not as sturdy.

I kept the aluminum ones, thinking I could make a little greenhouse or something out of them. It was a pretty tall tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing