Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
One of my favotite tricks is when your next door camper is a prick then you dispose of your leftovers in the bushes by their camp.
I'll be sure to be nice to you next time I'm up at Balch Park!
That really shouldn't be a problem, though, since that's the way I am most of the time anyway. Thanks for the tip about using Raid around the ice chest. I guess it masks the scent of the food. Sounds like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Hmmm, back to the OP topic....

Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Its like I said before, Its great if you dodn't mind being a snack in a ziplock bag for some big bear .
Experienced tent/backcountry campers know how to camp in bear territory - cook away from your campsite, hang your cooking and trash gear from a rope suspended from a tree (or, some campgrounds have bear proof containers available), etc.

Bear attacks on a camper in a tent sleeping are very very very rare. I think i've read of only one case out of the hundreds recorded.

It's no suprise that the "nuisance" bear problems are at developed (not backwoods) campsites with trailers, not at tent campsites. And bear attacks are most likely from those trailer residents on day hikes, not overnight backpackers.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:20 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Experienced tent/backcountry campers know how to camp in bear territory - cook away from your campsite, hang your cooking and trash gear from a rope suspended from a tree (or, some campgrounds have bear proof containers available), etc.

Bear attacks on a camper in a tent sleeping are very very very rare. I think i've read of only one case out of the hundreds recorded.

It's no suprise that the "nuisance" bear problems are at developed (not backwoods) campsites with trailers, not at tent campsites. And bear attacks are most likely from those trailer residents on day hikes, not overnight backpackers.
Coons like bears are naturally a camper worst nightmare, but with the proper training one can try to avoid it. I've never camped in an area that is prone to the big fellas, but I have seen what a raccoon can do to a camp site thats not been critter proofed properly.
I've done my share od tent camping in the jungle of Panama and thats more than enough for me to last a life time. Bugs and I mean BIG BUGS.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I used to camp quite a bit in the Land Between the Lakes in western Ky. (just getting back to it this summer) The racoons know when to come out over there. When you're sitting around the campfire late at night, you can see their eyes light up with the light of the campfire or flashlight. About 30 minutes after you go to bed you'll hear them getting in the trash cans and checking out your camp site. Won't find anything around mine. All food is either in the camp kitchen, cooler, or in the trash. Not desperate enough to throw leftovers out in the woods. lol

Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,481 times
Man I love camping. We stay in Los Angeles and head up to Kern County/Tulare. We tent it, 20y/o Coleman stove and latern my dad used...probably older.
I cook potatoes in the coals of the fire, cook meat over the open flame, corn on the cob. Heat up beans, noodles and other things in a pan on the stove, but mostly use a fire to cook. Fish and clean it for dinner. No bathrooms, no electricity, no camp fees, just a campfire permit, my gun, fishing pole, beer and some cards or UNO!

I'm having a hard time finding friends who want to camp without a bathroom and shower. And I am only 27. Most of my friends never camp or are too scared of being eaten alive.

I'm hoping to go in two weeks.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 AM

11 posts, read 58,359 times
Not a thing wrong with tent camping. Did it for 25 or 30 years. Now have a TT. (after a popup and RV) Still do all cooking out side. Stay out side most of time. Still call it camping. (Whether you do or not) Do enjoy bath and shower. Have TV, but never watch it. Just easier to go without all that packing.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
bek its hard to keep muggers out of a tent.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:16 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Man I love camping. We stay in Los Angeles and head up to Kern County/Tulare. We tent it, 20y/o Coleman stove and latern my dad used...probably older.
I cook potatoes in the coals of the fire, cook meat over the open flame, corn on the cob. Heat up beans, noodles and other things in a pan on the stove, but mostly use a fire to cook. Fish and clean it for dinner. No bathrooms, no electricity, no camp fees, just a campfire permit, my gun, fishing pole, beer and some cards or UNO!

I'm having a hard time finding friends who want to camp without a bathroom and shower. And I am only 27. Most of my friends never camp or are too scared of being eaten alive.

I'm hoping to go in two weeks.
Campfire permit? Whats that?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 PM

19 posts, read 51,550 times
I am jealous of Rv'ers. We rented one and fell in love with it. It's like a fever, can't stop thinking of one. However, we are too scared to buy one right now, we doubt our confidence in not getting a lemon, can't afford it either. Well imo, Rving is great when you have little kids. During a trip up to NY, we got stuck for 4 hours at the Geo Washington bridge. No place to go, no relief in sight. Thank god for the RV and the toilet in the back.
Now, we have to go back to look for a new place to live. I dread 3 kids in the back of our truck for 3 days. We are making it as RV like as possible. Cargo carrier on the roof and a camping potty in the trunk for the kids. lol. Probably going to be chaos but much better then flying.
I feel safer in an RV then a tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing