Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 AM

11 posts, read 24,147 times

Advertisements

Hey all, The wife and I decided to move to california but needed advice on good/safe places to live in central/northern Cali. Were looking for a place thats not to expensive and they have tech jobs. Also, a place where the pollen isn't to bad do to my 10 y/o's allergies. Any recomendations will be appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydy View Post
Hey all, The wife and I decided to move to california but needed advice on good/safe places to live in central/northern Cali. Were looking for a place thats not to expensive and they have tech jobs. Also, a place where the pollen isn't to bad do to my 10 y/o's allergies. Any recomendations will be appriciated.
Find a job first. Once you have a job, repost with it's location, then the forum can make recommendations.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,504,382 times
Try to refraiin from calling it Cali. That's a city in Colombia!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,732,119 times
When you say "central California" do you mean the central coast of California or the central valley? (where you most likely do not want to be for various reasons ... the central valley that is).

You're looking for a tech job so the northern most part of California is not going to suit you and most of the rest of the coast and the bay area / Silicon Valley is extremely expensive.

The Sacramento area is a possible option but if you have allergies it may not be the best place.
I don't know about pollen but the air isn't clean and if you're sensitive to that, it may be an issue.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-23-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,536,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Try to refraiin from calling it Cali. That's a city in Colombia!
LOL.......yep, that's a dead giveaway that you aren't from CA. or Calif. or California! Every time I see 'Cali' on here, I think it's written by a gum-smacking Valley Girl, etc. (And I am not even sure if the term Valley Girl is used anymore, but anybody in S. CALI knows who they are...they all grew up to be the Housewives of Whatever That Show Is)

California is the bread basket.....all kinds of things are grown, especially in N. and Central.....you are going to get pollen....and itchy peat dirt if you are near certain crops such as asparagus..

This is funny how things work...it's regional......in CA, we call freeways 'the 5', or 'the 101' or 'the 405', etc. I am hoping to move to Colorado.... In a post, I called it 'the 25'. I was corrected and was told that it is 'I-25'.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
This is funny how things work...it's regional......in CA, we call freeways 'the 5', or 'the 101' or 'the 405', etc. I am hoping to move to Colorado.... In a post, I called it 'the 25'. I was corrected and was told that it is 'I-25'.
Or driving "up to Denver" (latitudinally) from Colorado Springs (which is higher in elevation).

Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,732,119 times
Quote:
LOL.......yep, that's a dead giveaway that you aren't from CA. or Calif. or California! Every time I see 'Cali' on here, I think it's written by a gum-smacking Valley Girl, etc.
Well duh .... he's not from California.
That's why he's on city-data-forum asking for advice.
Let's end the stupid "Cali" comments and let people BE.
Or you can babble endlessly about it on this stupid thread about "Cali".
Cali

Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,558,701 times
Quote:
This is funny how things work...it's regional......in Southern CA, we call freeways 'the 5', or 'the 101' or 'the 405', etc. I am hoping to move to Colorado.... In a post, I called it 'the 25'. I was corrected and was told that it is 'I-25'.
Fixed it for ya.

Up here it's I-5 or HWY 108

Old 04-23-2010, 12:53 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,076,667 times
A generic "Tech" job is hard to direct you, that covers a lot of skills. A little more info about what type and level of tech job would be useful.

I would also warn you that there are still a lot of tech people out of work in California. For example, unemployment in Santa Clara County (heart of Silicon Valley) was over 12% in March.

In terms of your son's allergies, I'd suggest some close research by location about the specific pollens and allergans.

I know people who moved to the Central Coast thinking it would be better for their allergies and found themselves still no better off (or worse off) for the symptoms than elsewhere in California.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 24,147 times
I have a job i love already so thast not much of an issue. I monitor and manage networks from home via my PC but its always good to be close to a place i can find a job incase things go wrong in mine. My wife dose general office work like admin assitant. My wife is from Palmdale originally and wants to move back but north from there like Fresno, Sacramento, Bakersfield. I'm trying to just go only like no more than 3 hours north of palmdale so she can still visit her paretns in palmdale and vice versa. Were jut looking got a place that she can find a job and it be a safe place for my kid to ride his bike around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California