Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,720 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm hoping someone can clue me into the smog issues in the CA cities. We're relocating to the state, and have the choice to go to any Northern city we want. We're coming from Tampa, FL, which was rated one of the most environmentally safe cities, with clean air and water. I can buy bottled water, but I need to be able to breathe fresh air (several health concerns) and young children.

I've read San Jose actually rates top 10 nationwide for major metro areas with regard to fresh air, but with a family income of about 175K, we can't maintain the standard of living we're accustomed to housing-wise in San Jose.

So we've looked into Pleasanton...seems like the perfect place for us, affordable, modern, quiet, and kid friendly. But can anybody clue me in to the smog situation there? To what Cali city is it most comprable? San Jose, Frisco? LA?

Also, any other info about Pleasanton that anyone can give, such as toddler activities, cultural sites, housing, diversity would be appreciated...but my major concern is smog. Or if anyone can suggest another smog-free or smog-light area, please do! thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 03:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
visit airnow.gov and check air quality in specific locations. By all means, stay out of the San Joaquin Valley!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Pretty much coastal towns with fog and all would be your best bet...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
smog and air quality is not much of an issue in the bay area. It is an issue in the Central Valley, and in southern California.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:24 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Pretty much coastal towns with fog and all would be your best bet...
Yes, I would say anywhere along the North or Central Cal coast is better even than San Jose for clean fresh air. The proximity to coastal breezes is what does it.

We live in Monterey and it is great here. And there are tons of things to do for families in Monterey. With regards to housing prices they are dropping. For a little more affordability check out Del Rey Oaks, Oak Hills and the nicer sections of Seaside and Marina.

We considered Pleasanton but prefer to be a bit closer to the coast. Livermore is just east of there which is also more affordable. For more details on these specific areas it is better to ask in the sub forums.

Derek

Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
You might look into cities in Sonoma County: Santa Rosa, Petaluma, etc. Or if you want to be further north, Chico or Redding.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Anywhere relatively close to the Pacific where you can get the ocean breezes and salt water in the air should work. Like others already said, stay the heck out of the San Joaquin Valley and I'd even go so far as to advise against the Inland Empire in Southern California. When the winds are blowing east off the ocean, all the crap in the air gets blown into Riverside and San Bernardino counties. I moved out west years ago because of severe mold/pollen allergies in Ohio and have done great since (no asthma attacks in over thirteen years after living in both Arizona and California). If you can't do the coast, look for dry desert environments (Coachella Valley comes to mind). The only problem with the desert is that there aren't any big towns per se and you're kind of isolated from the bigger cities on the coast.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM

93 posts, read 318,008 times
I am likely destined for the San Joaquin Valley because of work or school. I'm a runner and have some serious concerns about how this will affect my opportunities and ability to run outdoors. I spent a couple months in Claremont about 5 years ago--I know that's a different region, but it's often mentioned in the same breath as the San Joaquin Valley, so I am assuming that they are comparable--and I distinctly remember one warm day of running when the air didn't seem so pleasant. Later that night, my chest hurt so badly I could barely breathe. This wasn't every day, of course, but it's still pretty disconcerting for a runner.

I have a high-end treadmill that I have considered keeping because the summer heat may keep me off the roads some days. I'm thinking now that the pollution might keep me indoors as well.

Any runners out there who can shed some light on this? (Hope it doesn't seem like a threadjack. If so, I'll start a new thread.)

Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Treadmills in air conditioned gyms (or your living room) might be your best bet if you're just looking for a workout on particularly awful days. Runners would probably have better advice though.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:17 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phloxy View Post
I am likely destined for the San Joaquin Valley because of work or school. I'm a runner and have some serious concerns about how this will affect my opportunities and ability to run outdoors. I spent a couple months in Claremont about 5 years ago..
The San Joaquin Valley can get a lot worse than Claremont. Where in that area might you be working? I have heard of a lot of children and adults as well having resperatory problems after living there.

Here is a recent quote form the Environment News Service "Surrounded by mountains and with few winds to disperse air pollution, the San Joaquin Valley has long registered some of the worst air pollution in the country... According to the California Air Resources Board, particulate matter is the most deadly air pollutant, estimated to kill more than 1,200 valley residents each year. " You can see the full article here: San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Back in Court
Quote:
I have a high-end treadmill that I have considered keeping because the summer heat may keep me off the roads some days. I'm thinking now that the pollution might keep me indoors as well.

Any runners out there who can shed some light on this? (Hope it doesn't seem like a threadjack. If so, I'll start a new thread.)
Maybe you can live in the Sierra Foothills and commute in to work. That might be an option depending on where you work.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California