Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times

Advertisements

ok, northern California, how about Sacramento? That will probably give you the closest thing to seasonal change, be close to the mountains, only a few hours from Tahoe (an awesome place) and the life style that seems to fit what you would like. Nowhere will you get a real 4 season experience in California or lets put it this way, nowhere that is a city of any size.

Another thought that comes to mind, Pasadena, which will give you options as the L.A. area has so many hospitals. I had mentioned that before. If I were you I would check on line to see what the job prospects are in various areas then do a google search and find out what those areas offer.

Another thought, San Louis Obispo. There are just too many areas to suggest. Of course none will meet all of what seems important.

Keep looking and posting, I am sure everyone will have a suggestion for you.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 04:52 PM

96 posts, read 196,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Well, c'mon out to Santa Cruz county.
With that budget, you'll have no problem finding a good rental.
This is the central coast of California ... the "top" of it (roughly) and we're on the beautiful Monterey bay.
San Francisco is less than 2 hours to the north, Monterey is less than an hour to the south and the Truckee / Tahoe (Sierra range) area is less than 41/2 hours away for when you want some snow (and it's a lot of snow!) and altitude.
San Jose is just over the hill and with no traffic, i can get there in about 1/2 hour. With traffic .... well, i don't do that.
The seasons will not be like the east coast.
Unless you're in the higher altitudes, winter = rain.
This is a Mediterranean climate which is really wonderful as long as you don't mind rain in the winter.
For someone who gardens, it's heaven.
The mountains that will provide you with the seasons that you're more familiar with are not on the coast of CA.
Santa Cruz has beautiful weather from (roughly) the end of April through October. Temps are generally speaking, in the upper 70's - 80's and i guarantee you, humidity will not be an issue.
I know what east coast humidity is.
Fog rolls in and out on the coast and sometimes comes inland depending on where you live in the county but unless you're right on the coast and it's a real foggy day, it won't be an issue.
Where i live (about 6 miles inland) it's never foggy during the day and sometimes there is morning fog, sometimes not and same for the evening.
Many places in the county have no fog.
It's nice though ... natural air conditioning.
Winters are rainy but there are stretches of beautiful days between the rains.
UCSC is here so there is a college influence but not in any problematic sort of way.
There are many kinds of ways to live here from really rural, to semi rural to sub-urban to "urban" but not like hardcore city urban.
This is a "young" area .... lots of single men and women in their 20's and 30's and upward.
It's liberal, tolerant, diverse and open.
Check it out ... you may like.
Wow! The way you make it sound it's Heaven on earth. I will definitely put it on my list of places to travel to in the next year when I head out for visits. Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:35 PM

20 posts, read 58,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmac View Post
Hello all I'm a 35y/o man looking to relocate out West and have been giving California the once over. I"m a Nurse and Massage Therapist so work shouldn't be an issue, I'm just wanting to make sure I find a place that has it all w/ regards to great weather, nice residents, outdoor activity, zero humidity, and plenty of single ladies.

Your take is greatly appreciated!
[b]Funky Oakland is highly affordable, hipster-ghettofab, across the bridge from the excitement and culture of SF, with plenty of single females. Much further south, Palm Springs offers the zero humidity you desire. PS's demographics are generally upper middle class, gay and/or retired -- rainbow flags+golfers galore! If you're interested in taking up surfing, and want healthy beach babes, San Diego is the place. /B]

Old 10-21-2015, 02:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,689,903 times
Northern California, four seasons and mountains.
Willits comes to mind. They just rebuilt the hospital there. It's a good sized mountain town.
The next hospital north is Garberville, a much more smaller town. I believe the hospital there has something like 40 beds. So it's a quiet hospital. Garberville is a bit of a old hippie town that has been slowly progressing into a more 'not from California' type town, so it's a mixed bag. South of Willits is Ukiah. It sits at the base of mountain ranges on three sides.
Rent is fairly inexpensive in these locations- compared to the rest of the state.
Northern Californians like their massages

Old 10-22-2015, 08:21 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,750,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki Jensen View Post

[b]Funky Oakland is highly affordable, hipster-ghettofab, across the bridge from the excitement and culture of SF, with plenty of single females. Much further south, Palm Springs offers the zero humidity you desire. PS's demographics are generally upper middle class, gay and/or retired -- rainbow flags+golfers galore! If you're interested in taking up surfing, and want healthy beach babes, San Diego is the place. /B]
This thread is 6 years old. The other one that you dredged up was over a year old. And i imagine these aren't the only 2 old threads you've unearthed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California