Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,553 times

Advertisements

I am a 20 year old female student wishing to move out west next school year. I am currently living in Ohio and I'm looking for a change of scenery. I've always wanted to live along a beach, but have not particularly been drawn to cities on the East coast.
I plan to attend a college and rent an apartment. I ask those who are familiar with different coastal cities, which would have moderate rental prices (I'm thinking 500-800/month, crazy, I know, but I'm willing to share housing or get a studio), as well as a decent school. I have been looking at UC Santa Cruz, San Diego State University, and CSU Long Beach.
I'm looking for a more southern location because I absolutely hate the cold! When I feel like seeing snow I'll just go to California's mountains

Thank you for your input! It is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I would say Santa Barbara. Great scenery, great weather, and an excellent university.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
U.C Santa Barbara is definitely the nicest. What are you looking for, exactly?

CSU Long Beach is in a huge city. U.C.S.C is more northern, and the school itself is in the foothills with colder weather (it's also a bit isolated, at least with UCSB you're right next to Isla Vista and Goleta). U.C.S.B is right on the coast, warmer water, warmer weather - definitely more of a stereotypical California vibe compared with UCSC or CSULB.

UCSD is next to La Jolla, also a very nice area. I'd definitely choose UCSB or UCSD - and this is coming from someone born and raised in Santa Cruz. UCSD and UCSB are superior schools to UCSC and CSULB

Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handbanana99 View Post
I am a 20 year old female student wishing to move out west next school year. I am currently living in Ohio and I'm looking for a change of scenery. I've always wanted to live along a beach, but have not particularly been drawn to cities on the East coast.
I plan to attend a college and rent an apartment. I ask those who are familiar with different coastal cities, which would have moderate rental prices (I'm thinking 500-800/month, crazy, I know, but I'm willing to share housing or get a studio), as well as a decent school. I have been looking at UC Santa Cruz, San Diego State University, and CSU Long Beach.
I'm looking for a more southern location because I absolutely hate the cold! When I feel like seeing snow I'll just go to California's mountains

yup. crazy.
MOD CUT
Beach rentals usually cost $3500 a month in So CA.

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-06-2011 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
UC Santa Cruz isn't the best UC, the undergrad students and classes are kind of flaky (though you can find that anywhere), but it's a decent place to live. Should be overall better than CSU schools though it really probably depends on your major, some CSU's are very good for specific things. Should be able to live with roommates for about 500-800 in and around Santa Cruz, studios would be a bit more than that from what I've seen.

As any student should do, think long and hard about how much tuition is going to be, how you're going to pay for it, etc. Colleges in California are very expensive even if you get in-state tuition. If you're planning on going to grad school it might make more sense to go to a state school in your home state then come out here for grad school. The grad schools here are quite good and with social science stuff you can often get a grant that covers your tuition, though you'd have to work hard as a TA while you get your PhD.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:

If it makes you feel any better, I just got done swimming outdoors at UCSB (my alma mater) on my lunch break from work about a mile away. Sunny and comfortable. You could look into living in Isla Vista, the campus community adjacent to UCSB. The common arrangement is two kids per room in a two bedroom apartment. Not sure of prices. Del Playa Drive homes are right on the beach. Parties every night. All the amenities of Santa Barbara.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
I think you need to come out for a visit and see and feel and experience each university and the town it's in and get a good sense of the coast from north to south so that you have something to base your choice on.
You can either fly into San Francisco and have a wonderful coastal drive south or visa versa (fly into San Diego or L.A. and drive north)
You can't really know what school and what town is right for you until you put your feet on the ground and look around.
I prefer the central coast, ie; Santa Cruz county over SoCal but you may feel differently.
That $800 will enable you to find a nice room-mate situation in Santa Cruz county (and maybe a nice little studio if you get lucky but they're often a bit more than that).
I imagine it's somewhat similar in Long Beach and San Diego.
You're going to be going to school in some of the most pricey areas in the country but if you love the coast of California, it's worth it imo.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM

59 posts, read 149,976 times
I visited SB a couple years ago...very nice! wouldn't mind retiring there myself.

As far as school goes, you might want to based that decision on what kind of education is important to you and focus less on best city to live on CA coast. School vs. beach life.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:

Santa Barbara is a really beautiful, fun, and laid back town. I have cousins who grew up there and go up to visit often; it's usually tacos and beers by the beach, cruising with the top down, and a lot of saying "dude" and "whoa" It's close proximity (1-1.5 hours) to Los Angeles and all it has to offer.

One of my best friends went to UCSB as well as two of my cousins and an ex, and the impression I've gotten from them as well as around town is that it's a bit of a party school. Not insanely so, but enough that it should be noted. Lots of dudes and bros.

Santa Cruz is also gorgeous; as someone else noted, it's a bit isolated - everything North of Santa Cruz is coastal farms and parks; everything south of it is as well; and there's not much to the east, either. But, it's a beautiful coast... I took this pic about fifteen minutes north of the city:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318366_2663818397222_1308840717_33064020_135459064 3_n.jpg (broken link)

Overall, while it's a quiet town, it's still got plenty of stuff going on, as is the case for basically any college town. Performers come through (though admittedly, more on the college radio circuit than headliners), there are some really cool bars and clubs that I've been to with friends and exes who are almuni.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Uh, what do you plan on studying? Are you/your parents paying for your education - or do you hope to get some type of financial aid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California