Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 AM

341 posts, read 688,883 times

Advertisements

Can anyone look at the state budget? If so how? I suppose even if you could look at it, you would need a year off work just to study it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I believe the federal government should assist California & it was not a coincident that Schwarzenegger was in Washington DC on election day. California more than pays its share of federal taxes to "receiver" states in the South. And since the economy in California is the 8th largest in the world, it is vital that President Obama devote financial attention on California. Otherwise, if California goes into bankruptcy than the same fate could very likely occur across the nation. It could have inter-national repercussions
then where do we go? What state next? First it's the ins companies, then banks, car companies and now California. Whose fault is it California is in such a mess and why should I, as a tax payer in another state have to help you get out of your darn mess?

Nita

Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
That's silly & would only encourage desperate attempts by people who can not afford to gamble.

My concern is that President Obama has told California "NO" What's that about? Great articles\editorials in LA Times making it clear to the federal government that assistance is not debatable. California sends more to DC than it ever gets back. Also Obama was heavily financed\ strongly supported by California. Both senators\ speaker of the house\ governor & all democratic congress people have requested government guarantees on loans to California. Sadly our Republican congress folk from California will not ask for help but are actually lobbying to stop any assistance? Doesn't that sound like voting against their own people?
Don't you think those same people will find a way to gamble? Why should we be the watch dogs for those who can not control themselves? I get so tired of libs giving us this argument..

Nita

Old 05-23-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
That's a classic Republican response unless it directly applies to you personally. Less teachers for children\ release of over 40,000 convicts\ less cops-firemen\women\ no infra-structure\ serious consequences to the economy. How do Republican's sleep at night?
and again, who got you in this mess?

Nita

Old 05-23-2009, 11:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Can anyone look at the state budget? If so how? I suppose even if you could look at it, you would need a year off work just to study it
Sure they can. Right here: 2009-10 California State Budget

All that fun stuff can be accessed from the Department of Finance's web pages and anything about propositions and elections on the Secretary of State's.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Unless you can be specific there really is no dialog. A little reading on what the budget includes would help. No Republican has been able to identify what is government waste aside from a few obscure small budget items. Just voting against taxes doesn't solve the problem & many are now calling for the end of Prop 13 that I and other homeowners rely on to keep house taxes down. Also, a constitutional convention by doing away with the 2/3rd Assembly\senate vote to approve a budget.
I'm not a Republican and I voted for Tom McClintock...

He seems to be the only one that has even a grasp how to achieve a balanced budget...

happ... what do you think?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm not a Republican and I voted for Tom McClintock...

He seems to be the only one that has even a grasp how to achieve a balanced budget...

happ... what do you think?
From some recent statements that McClintock has made, he has given up on not only the future of California but the future of the USA. He feels not only that California is hopeless but so is the nation as a whole.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:07 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Is California Too Big To Fail? - CBS News

they will probably demand cuts in services.

what do you think will get axed?
We already know what WON'T get axed -- any union jobs or benefits and they are a big part of the problem.

Will Obama give California their bailout? You bet he will - those Union employees will force it, just like he refused the Stimulus money when they tried to cut some union jobs. After California gets their bailout - that state will belong to Obama, just as Chrysler, AIG & GM do - he will be calling all the shots.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:16 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
From some recent statements that McClintock has made, he has given up on not only the future of California but the future of the USA. He feels not only that California is hopeless but so is the nation as a whole.
It's pretty easy to see that what has been happening for years in California is now happening quickly in the entire country. The California fiscal position is the future of the entire country. Anyone knows that you can't spend-spend-spend when you are already in a lot of debt and expect that everything is going to be hunky dory. Every time we turn around we have a new "Czar" of something, a new bureaucracy in place for a new program - so many Billions and Trillions that nobody can even keep track. The largest Bill in our Nation's history, the largest Budget in our Nation's history, more money spent in less than 100 days than any President spent in his entire tenure ... with more to come.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
then where do we go? What state next? First it's the ins companies, then banks, car companies and now California. Whose fault is it California is in such a mess and why should I, as a tax payer in another state have to help you get out of your darn mess?

Nita

BOY DO I AGREE WITH YOU NITA. I am from California and my relatives feel the same way. Californians think they are owed. They get to live above their means. It bugs my brother dearly on the wasteful spending done in that State. I am sure President Obama will bail them out, after all that state got him elected. The rest of us live with pot hole roads and houses we can afford. When my daughters bought houses in Stillwater, OK, they had to qualify. Not in CA. My relatives all saw the mess coming. You buy a house for 200 thousand, and it is worth 600 thousand a couple years later. Of course, we saw the mess coming. Lived in that State for almost 30 years so I do know a few things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California