Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM

9 posts, read 38,979 times

Advertisements

Hello!!

My husband and I are in our 20's and we will be moving to California from South Florida. We each own our own businesses. I own a wedding film company and my husband owns a film company that shoots music videos, documentaries, lifestyle, etc.

We are deciding between Newport Beach and Santa Monica....and any other recommendations! We really don't know where most of our work will be until we are out there. We want more of the relaxed surfing beach town feel. We love to ride our bikes around town. We want to be able to walk places. We are artistic and love community. We do not do the club or night scene! We are trying to stay around the $1,300 range for a 1 bedroom apartment and have found a few in both areas.

Any advice would be amazing!! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Seal Beach and neighboring communities(Sunset Beach, Surfside[probably too expensive], Belmont Shore, Bluff Park, etc) may be good. Seal/Sunset are traditional quiet relaxed beach/surf towns, Belmont Shore is a little more hip. Seal is my favorite of the beach towns in the LA basin. The least pretentious and one of the most affordable, while being fairly quiet and slow moving.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Skip Santa Monica, too touristy and close to LA. Check out Hermosa, Mahattan, Torrance beaches. Much better surfing, more laid back, less polluted and crouded (for LA County):

Newport is overrated and too pretentiuous IMO - home of breast implants and overpriced sportcars and *Plenty* of attitude to go with it (similar to SM in that regard). Seal Beach is a nice alternative. Huntington Beach (Surf City) is ok. But it gets pretty overrun with tourists and partiers from inland OC, Riverside, etc... which may get old after a while for residents.

Ventura and Santa Barbara are nice alternatives to the concrete jungle (LA, OC, SD) just to their south. It is more laid back up there. But you are still in driving distance to LA/Hollywood if you have business further south.

If you want even fewer crouds continue north to San Luis Obispo and Pismo Beach.

Finally the border of Central and Northern CA is my favorite area - Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach and Santa Cruz.

Derek

Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 PM

and just an FYI for beach suggestions... my favorite beach in Bolsa Chica State Beach. You have to pay to park which keeps most of the riffraff out and it's a great place to ride bikes(one of the few beaches that do bike rentals anymore)

Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM

thank you everyone for the help so far! we really do appreciate it!! I've heard a lot of great things about Seal Beach recently. Are there any ruff areas?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM

No rough areas of Seal Beach

Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM

does anyone else have opinions on Newport Beach lifestyle? We have some family there so that is pulling us a bit.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 AM

268 posts, read 899,849 times
Moving from Miami to SoCal.....?

Some things in life make no sense....

Well, good luck because your expenses/stress/time in traffic/rent/mortgage will go up tenfold.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,036 times
I really like Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan beach area. Best place in LA

Old 04-25-2009, 04:21 PM

we have 2 indoor cats and 1 5 lbs yorkie and I am finding it really tuff to find a place that excepts 3 animals...IN ANY AREA!! any suggestions please!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California