Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 PM

28 posts, read 269,461 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to know what some of you thought which state/city has a better quality of life, environment, air quality?...particularly Broward County, Florida which includes Fort Lauderdale...if any of you are familiar with both places please let me know which you feel is better and why you like living there

many thanx...Sabrina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,549 times
I live in South Florida and the western parts of Broward County are probably some of the better places in South Florida.Miramar,Pembroke Pines,Weston,Cooper City,Coral Springs and Parkland are all good.Overall stay away from Miami-Dade county very limited amounts of good areas and those are going to be super expensive.Palm Beach County also has a few good areas such as Boca.I've been to California several times and as far as the weather I'll take it over South Florida any day.Florida has a couple of really good weather months during winter,but overall the heat,humidity,daily rain and threat of Hurricanes is awful.Although air quality would probably be better in FLA.California would get my approval for environment due to the weather and the amount of outdoor activities they have inland since they have mountains to hike and ski rather than wet everglades,although the beach is more usable in Florida with warmer water temperatures.I don't have the knowledge of California as others might here,I also don't know what area of CALI you're looking at?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
It all depends on your Income or Location whether you'll love California or Not.

California in my opinion offers a Greater Variety of Things to See and Do compared to Florida.

Their is one thing about Florida that I really like though,and that's the warmer water at the beach during the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsseasand View Post
I just wanted to know what some of you thought which state/city has a better quality of life, environment, air quality?...particularly Broward County, Florida which includes Fort Lauderdale...if any of you are familiar with both places please let me know which you feel is better and why you like living there

many thanx...Sabrina

Old 07-15-2007, 09:24 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Cool California

Okay, first let me say that California is a BIG STATE so to compare it to one county in Florida is next to impossible to do. I have never even visited Florida but was born and raised in southern CA, east of the Los Angeles area.

I realize that I don't qualify to make a fair or educated answer to your question but just thought I'd share why I would choose CA. First of all, there are several lovely places to live in CA...places without the crazy traffic and smog, places with many wonderful people and with a community feel. It is expensive to buy in CA but less expensive when you get out in the more rural areas. I've heard it is expensive in a lot of the larger cities in Florida, too, so they might be equal in that department.

My main reason for NOT picking Florida is the heat, humidity and the hurricanes. Hmmm...the three H's! I have cousins who live there and I keep an eye on their weather a lot. I just couldn't stand not having any cooler weather, which I almost never see there...even in winter! The hurricanes are the most unacceptable things, though.

So, there ya go. One woman's opinion. That's all it is. I know others will big to differ. The good news is that it's a big country with room for us all!

Let us know if you make a decision of your own!

MrsG

Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Default Climate trumps all else

For me it comes down to climate first and foremost. Can't stand the south Florida heat and humidity, so coastal CA gets my vote.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 24,772 times
I would go with the SF Bay area, lived in Fort Lauderdale, way to hot & muggy. Not to mention you pay alot for not very much. Yes CA is expensive, but a much better choice.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:05 PM

38,865 posts, read 22,854,503 times
I lived in Florida before, though in Orlando, so I have an idea of what the weather over there is like, i.e., hot, muggy, always the threat of hurricanes during hurricane season, etc. I've never been to South Florida, but it's my understanding that the more desirable areas in that part of the state can be just as expensive as California.

However, I prefer living in California to Florida, not only because of the nicer weather, but because of the variety of things to see and do here--something for everyone!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:39 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times
South Florida no questions asked.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:25 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
I like S. Florida but I can only take it in small doses. Summer is awful and in S. Florida it basically lasts from mid-April to mid-October. I lived in Florida for 2 years and like the friendliness of the people but didn't like the fact that it was so hot, humid and FLAT! There's more to do here where I live...way more. I'd have a vacation place/short term rental in SoBe and am still actually considering it...but my full-time home is L.A.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 PM

68 posts, read 247,033 times
I have lived in both South Florida (Broward County) and I currently live in So Cal. I hate both and I am leaving So Cal.

If I had to choose between the lesser of the two evils, I would choose So Cal. The weather is nicer here - that FL humidity is gross and I'd take an earthquake over a hurricane/tornado any day. There are plenty of reasons not to move here (traffic, hyperaggressive drivers, plastic people), but I can understand why people are attracted to it because it is pretty. I have absolutely nothing nice to say about South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California