Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 11:43 AM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Redding is so hot ! elevation 4741
Phoenix elevation 1100 ft

when it is 110 in Phoenix it is like being baked in an oven
when it is 110 in Redding it is like being Broiled in an oven

you must have AIR COND not swamp coolers
but it is a dry heat
like phoenix it can stay hot into OCT , I mean 100 or more degrees . crazy ...

Redding has a real winter usually mild but since " Climate change " who knows what will happen , 4 ys ago they had 10 inches of snow , sometimes there is fog in the winter which is cool...
check this out as cold as 20 in the winter to 120 in the summer !

BUT there is a river in Redding and Mt Shasta nearby , it is still relatively affordable , spring and Autumn are really nice but short .
its not a bad place , a medium size city , it has everything , just hide all summer inside and you will be fine .
or leave and go to the Mountains You can go north to Mount Shasta, which is a huge— over 14000’ , massive and beautiful.
I wasn't aware that Shasta was 14K+, but it sure is.

Oh, in the heat of the middle of Summer (JUL/AUG) the high temp on Shasta is a crazy hot....50 degrees F...lol.

It's prominence is what makes it so revered. It IS picturesque, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 05:34 PM

270 posts, read 210,791 times
I love Redding. I visited a friend there and oh my I don't want to come home to my chaotic city. No traffic in Redding, tranquility, perfect for the nature lovers, and importantly---cheap! After a few visits, I'm planning to move there and I can easily come back and forth to LA areas in 1.5 hours flight with Avelo Airline. Technically, I can still enjoy the big cities fun with just a cheap flight away $45 RT! It's the only place I can go now for a getaway with that cheap fare year round.

I visited during the hot summer 114 degree and during the Xmas season seeing the beautiful mountain covered with snow. I still enjoyed it. The only thing missing is the beach but then there is Shasta Lake.

About 20 minutes away are some small towns that are not too bad, can buy a home using USDA loan which mean that you can move into your new home with zero money from your pocket. Plenty of lands! When you're bored just book a flight to Burbank for $45 and sometime the promotion hit $25!

Old 11-25-2023, 06:36 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I love Redding.
I do, too. I've been threre only a few times and realize how hot it can get in the summer, even into October, but thought it was a beautiful area with friendly people.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:46 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
106? I was in the area in mid-October a few years ago, and it was 115! You couldn't pay me to live anywhere near there. But that may be heaven to the OP.

But IDK about the palm trees. Is that a hard-and-fast requirement, OP?
115 there...that's something!

I was there for a couple of days in the summer of 2014 and one of the two days there it was the hottest temp ever recorded on that day of that month (going back to the beginning of record keeping) at 108 degrees.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:49 AM

36 posts, read 32,320 times
I heard about Bethel church having a huge influence on the city, does having a large religious population keep the crime in check and make the town cleaner?

Old 11-25-2023, 10:36 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon1999 View Post
I chose Redding cause it has a mediterranean climate and is one of the sunniest cities in the world (according to google searches)
It is one of the sunniest places in the world, this is true. Although you will have a short and potentially damp winter compared to the desert locations, which get most of their rain during the summer monsoon. Redding never gets rain in the summer. So it's distributed differently. All three locations can get some Frost in the winter, although Phoenix would be the warmest of the three. Las Vegas gets surprisingly chilly, I would say at least as chilly as Redding, and each City seems to get a dusting of snow every 10 years or so. I almost feel like Vegas gets it more often. I think they had snow on the ground last year and the year before. But they still grow palm trees in all of these places because it's warm most of the time.
Redding benefits from being slightly higher in elevation than the valley floor to its south, which pushes most of the winter fog away from it. That means during inversions, Redding gets really warm even in the middle of winter, whereas Sacramento stays very chilly. During the drought years, I remember seeing reading spending weeks in January and February well into the 70s, even while it was in the 50s in much of the central valley. It's kind of got a sweet spot there. But yes, reading is a very very small City while the other two are huge metropolitan areas. You really have to love small town living

Old 11-25-2023, 10:43 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
I'm looking to move somewhere where it's sunny and hot/warm with bright blue skies, palm trees, very little snow, and somewhat affordable. I've researched Phoenix and Las Vegas but it seems like these cities are already becoming too expensive like LA and too many people are moving to them
Quote:
I'm planning to work, inland Southern California seems nice but not sure if I can afford it
Quote:
I chose Redding cause it has a mediterranean climate and is one of the sunniest cities in the world (according to google searches)
Quote:
I heard about Bethel church having a huge influence on the city, does having a large religious population keep the crime in check and make the town cleaner?
Curious as to whether you'll be working remotely or plopped in a desk chair all day and, not to be nosy but, you never gave an approximate level of income you'll have in order to achieve this move.

About the snow. Snowfall isn't guaranteed every year but it does see a bit of snow every year. Usually about an inch but it just depends. And sometimes it only snows once or twice in any given year but last year there were a lot of days where it snowed during the winter. 'Course the entire state saw an overabundance of rain/snow so it's hard to say what will happen this year. Here's a link to a story that ran in their newspaper earlier this year. You may find it interesting. https://www.redding.com/story/news/l...s/69991879007/

As to summertime weather, I refer to three levels for it. Hot, Damn Hot, and Hell. None of them are pleasant imo but, again, it's a personal choice.

As for crime. I can't see where the Bethel Church would have much control over that and, by all appearances, there are still areas in that region that have higher incidents of crime than other parts of the city. That's a given with anywhere. Every city/town in this country has good and bad areas so you have to do a lot of research and know where to buy/rent. This map shows neighborhoods where the instances of crime are higher and lower. When it's time to get serious, you could make a call to the local chamber of commerce, any real estate company or even try the public information's office of the local police department. There are plenty of sources, if you're flying blind (meaning not actually visiting the area and learning about it personally).

Then, your concern over the church's influence in the city. Well. I can't say yay or nay on that because I don't live there. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for and how much influence you want a community to play in your life. I doubt the church in Redding has as much influence in the community as does the LDS church in Utah, although, you never know. An article published by SF Gate earlier this year focused on the church and its influence in the area. You might find it an interesting read. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...g-18170873.php

Just throwing out a suggestion here. There are places in the state that are closer to Southern California and meet your needs and may focus less on the religious aspect of the city. Real estate prices are not as outrageous as they are in the far western part of the state. The weather isn't as severe (although still quite warm in summer months) but not nearly as scorching as Redding and you have access to snow activities, if you enjoy that without worrying about driving in it daily. Counties that might have places that would meet a lot of your "wants" are in Fresno, Madera, Mariposa, Tuolumne, as examples. https://suncatcherstudio.com/pattern...ia-county-map/

If you're able to get out and travel around to see the various places in CA, you'll learn that there's something for everyone's taste and budget (although that window is narrowing yearly). I think that's one of the best things about the state. You want snow, we have that. You want desert? We have that. You want rainy fog drenched places? Yup, got that too. Beaches, mountains, open prairie and grassland, we have just about anything you might want. The unfortunate part of it is that most people want that as well so our real estate in certain places is at a premium and most people are out-priced but that doesn't mean you can't find a place to live and still travel to enjoy those beautiful places. Good luck with your search. There's a lot to explore. You better get crackin' and do it while gas prices are down.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2023 at 02:58 AM..

Old 11-25-2023, 01:34 PM

36 posts, read 32,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Curious as to whether you'll be working remotely or plopped in a desk chair all day and, not to be nosy but, you never gave an approximate level of income you'll have in order to achieve this move.
I'll be working at Amazon

Old 11-25-2023, 08:25 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
I'll be working at Amazon
Vague. Are you planning on working in one of their distribution centers, delivery or will you have a corporate position? Escaping severe summer weather would definitely turn me off from working in the first two positions. It would be an office job for me, no doubt. I have to ask that because there are plenty of positions for Amazon all over this state and in some areas with less oppressive weather (in the summer) and yet meet your desires for a little snow and maybe even an affordable place to live. I mentioned some of them in my previous post. But .... if your heart is set on Redding then just be aware that you were forewarned.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:20 AM

6,730 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Quote:
It's also at a latitude north of Philadelphia so the sun angle is low during the winter which makes it look weaker and you've got a much greater chance of ground level snow there than Sacramento. I like warm to hot weather as well but would rather be further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California