Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 11:36 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
When Redding still had a Pepsi Plant I was just starting my career and being the low man on the totem pole they were assigned to me as my client so between working there and taking my boat there I’ve spent a decent amount of time there.

It is really really hot in Redding and takes a different kind of person to thrive there.
Have you ever noticed that people who work the graveyard shift are usually a half bubble off?
That is how a good portion of those that I’ve met there are like.

I don’t much care for Vegas either but it does have very affordable housing within an hour of the airport.
It’s also an easy airport with cheap flights to just about everywhere.
I know a guy that retired there just for that reason so he could see his grandkids that were scattered around the country easier.

Flying out of Redding would be miserable and then you would be stuck with the Sacramento airport which probably has the highest prices in America.
That's been my impression of Redding.

But wouldn't hurt to go there for a time. See if you've found your people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 02:16 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
It's not the best California has to offer, but it's not Phoenix or worse yet, Vegas. Comparatively speaking, Redding isn't on the same level of your other two choices. You're talking about two gigantic metro areas with massive sprawl as far as you can imagine, and an area of California with a faux small town vibe. Apples to oranges in my opinion.

If you want warm and sunny most days, move further south. Maybe look at outlying areas of Palm Springs. You didn't say if you want to move to retire or are planning to work.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:22 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It used to be a nice place.

At least Shasta is pretty. I don't think Redding is a terrible spot, but wouldn't be my first choice for what the OP is after. It doesn't even fully check the weather/environment boxes they list.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:25 PM

36 posts, read 32,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
At least Shasta is pretty. I don't think Redding is a terrible spot, but wouldn't be my first choice for what the OP is after. It doesn't even fully check the weather/environment boxes they list.
I chose Redding cause it has a mediterranean climate and is one of the sunniest cities in the world (according to google searches)

Old 11-21-2023, 02:27 PM

36 posts, read 32,340 times
Quote:
It's not the best California has to offer, but it's not Phoenix or worse yet, Vegas. Comparatively speaking, Redding isn't on the same level of your other two choices. You're talking about two gigantic metro areas with massive sprawl as far as you can imagine, and an area of California with a faux small town vibe. Apples to oranges in my opinion.

If you want warm and sunny most days, move further south. Maybe look at outlying areas of Palm Springs. You didn't say if you want to move to retire or are planning to work.
I'm planning to work, inland Southern California seems nice but not sure if I can afford it

Old 11-21-2023, 06:01 PM

251 posts, read 204,145 times
Have you looked into Mesquite, NV?

Old 11-21-2023, 06:55 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind Redding if I could dial the era back to the early part of the 20th Century. The weather was cooler by about 20 degrees or more, and it was a different town back then. In a good way.

Old 11-22-2023, 01:11 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Redding is so hot ! elevation 4741
Phoenix elevation 1100 ft

when it is 110 in Phoenix it is like being baked in an oven
when it is 110 in Redding it is like being Broiled in an oven

you must have AIR COND not swamp coolers
but it is a dry heat
like phoenix it can stay hot into OCT , I mean 100 or more degrees . crazy ...

Redding has a real winter usually mild but since " Climate change " who knows what will happen , 4 ys ago they had 10 inches of snow , sometimes there is fog in the winter which is cool...
check this out as cold as 20 in the winter to 120 in the summer !

BUT there is a river in Redding and Mt Shasta nearby , it is still relatively affordable , spring and Autumn are really nice but short .
its not a bad place , a medium size city , it has everything , just hide all summer inside and you will be fine .
or leave and go to the Mountains You can go north to Mount Shasta, which is a huge— over 14000’ , massive and beautiful.

Old 11-22-2023, 03:38 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Redding is so hot ! elevation 4741
Phoenix elevation 1100 ft
Is your estimate for Redding's elevation missing a decimal point? 474.1 ft?

I remember the elevation being about 500 ft above sea level.

Given Redding's extremely low summer humidity, why wouldn't a swamp cooler work there?

Old 11-22-2023, 03:54 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Is your estimate for Redding's elevation missing a decimal point? 474.1 ft?

I remember the elevation being about 500 ft above sea level.

Given Redding's extremely low summer humidity, why wouldn't a swamp cooler work there?
ooooops yes about 500 ft

swamp coolers work great when it is dry and not over 104, the higher you go in Temp they do not work well.
I lived in a house where I had both. The swamp coolers worked best when it was in the 90 's or lower once it got over 95-98 I would switch to air conditioning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California