Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 11:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times

Advertisements

I wanted to live in Redding but my GF convinced me to move to Clovis CA

not sure if I would regret that later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 09:31 AM

5,918 posts, read 2,751,492 times
Phoenix and Vegas are hot and have entertainment, world class dining, resorts, major league sports, huge airports.

Redding is hot and then it's cold and wet.

Redding population: 95,000
Phoenix population: 5 million
Vegas population: 2.3 million (with 40 million annual visitors, makes it feel much bigger, that brings along world class shopping/dining/entertainment).

PS it's 38F in Redding right now, at 8:30am. Probably not what you're looking for if you want it to be warm year 'round.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:48 AM

36 posts, read 32,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post

PS it's 38F in Redding right now, at 8:30am. Probably not what you're looking for if you want it to be warm year 'round.
Oof

Old 12-09-2023, 10:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon1999 View Post
Oof
Well Vegas is currently seeing highs in the 50s and lows in there 30s as well. Vegas is substantially cooler than Phoenix in the winter. I've been there in winter and seen ice on the pools...

Old 12-10-2023, 12:16 AM

5,918 posts, read 2,751,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Well Vegas is currently seeing highs in the 50s and lows in there 30s as well. Vegas is substantially cooler than Phoenix in the winter. I've been there in winter and seen ice on the pools...
It also snows in Vegas and the mountains close to Vegas reach 12,000 feet and have snow on them until June in many years.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:18 AM

36 posts, read 32,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Looks like I'll have to cross off both Redding and the Las Vegas area on my list then

Old 12-10-2023, 09:54 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
110 degrees is not uncommon in either location.
With that temperature you will be inside or at least in an air conditioned environment for a decent amount of time.
The same can be said when it’s cold.

Me I can still do fine with outdoor activities when it’s cold if I dress for it.
Anything between 85 and 95 degrees will require me doing some kind of water sport.
Anything over 95 degrees might as well freezing temps as far as I’m concerned because I’m not going outside in those temps.

It gets cold in most desert areas too so most hot areas that have affordable housing will also have a cold season.
That’s probably why they are affordable.

Unless you have ton of moola you might be like the rest of us and have to make some compromises.
Me I’m ok with a few days of snow so I can have excellent pristine summer weather.

Good luck on your quest.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
It gets cold in most desert areas too so most hot areas that have affordable housing will also have a cold season.
That’s probably why they are affordable.
It cannot simply be a function of climate. Ketchum, ID has hot summers and cold winters, yet the median home price was $3.7M in October.

Home values are a function of supply and demand, not climate (though climate can affect both supply and demand). Limit the supply, e.g. through no-growth policies, and as long as there's some reason for demand (jobs, climate, etc.) prices skyrocket. Similarly, increase demand faster than supply can be built, e.g. for whatever reason a place gets "discovered," and prices will also increase, which is what happened in recent years in many parts of the Mountain West.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:50 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Well yeah there are exceptions to the rule but they are only a tiny slice of the pie.
Way way way more cheap desert locations than places that charge 3.7M for a house.
Don’t cha think?

Old 12-10-2023, 12:32 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon1999 View Post
Average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Redding is surprisingly low, ranging from $900-$1,200. Price of houses are also pretty cheap, $400-500k. I did some research you won't find any other locale with the combination of a sunny/hot climate, affordable COL, and high minimum wage. Phoenix and Vegas metros? too expensive and overcrowding, St. George, Utah? colder in winter, pay is very low and the COL is increasing. South/Central Florida? increasingly expensive and getting overcrowded. Southern California? extremely expensive and overcrowded
I think you are overlooking a large section of the country that meets most of your criteria and does not get snow. We have family on the panhandle of Florida which is more affordable than South/Central FL. We just returned from a warm-up trip visiting them along the Emerald Coast. It is beautiful even in December with white sand beaches, palm trees, sun and mild temps. Best of all, the northern part of Florida is less susceptible to bearing the brunt of hurricanes like central/southern FL is. Our family members retired to Ft. Walton Beach and have lived there 30+ years. They've never sustained hurricane damage in that time while most of the rest of the state has.

I would also look to places around east and west of Florida such as Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Mississippi. There are warm areas in the south with a much higher QOL over places like Redding, Vegas or Phoenix.

Here are a few recent pics, the first from yesterday in Pensacola where it was 73 degrees just before we flew home.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-10-2023 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California