Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 11:07 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Really? "For being an American?"

Perhaps you've never heard of the California Stimulus currently being sent out. $600 to Americans. $1000 to illegals.

Do you really think this UBI will only go to Americans???

Just like when California started paying more in monthly welfare checks than other states, and we magically ended up with nearly 1/3 of the country's welfare recipients. If this goes through, those areas will be flooded with illegals for the free paycheck.

But I guess the rest of the state can afford it. Right?
Your post is full of right wing echo chamber nonsense. Please step away from the internet/tv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 11:26 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:

Perhaps you've never heard of the California Stimulus currently being sent out. $600 to Americans. $1000 to illegals.

Just like when California started paying more in monthly welfare checks than other states, and we magically ended up with nearly 1/3 of the country's welfare recipients. If this goes through, those areas will be flooded with illegals for the free paycheck.

My summary of the general, contemporary concept of UBI says: yes, a “Freedom Dividend”, as Andrew Yang labeled it, for being an American. A dividend of the world’s most powerful economy.

That said, the California Stimulus is an entirely different program … no relationship, so no equivalency exists. Don’t conflate unrelated things.

UBI is structured to go to US citizens over 18. Yes. It is not welfare. And illegals will have no path to receiving UBI.

I’d have to read this California proposal to know of it might vary from former proposals for national UBI.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:30 AM

4,316 posts, read 6,279,681 times
Quote:

For everyone complaining about this, they overlook the fact that these types of stimuli will go straight back into the economy. Those who are struggling to survive WILL use this money for buying food and other household necessities.

Compare this to the tax breaks for the rich, that Republicans like to tout. Trickle down economics doesn't work. They just take these benefits and put them in investments, which doesn't benefit the society as a whole. They claim that they're pro-business and economy, but in reality, they're all about lining their pocketbooks.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
100% This^

Apparently, the plan for UBI extends beyond the Bay Area. The proposal is to allocate a monthly payment og $500 to every man, woman and child in the state.

In a way tho, I am of a similar mindset as ysr_racer in the sense that people like me don't really need this so we shouldnt be included. Why dont we cut off these payments at people earning under $100,000 for a single person tax filer, and under $200,000 for a joint-couple tax filer. Them and their dependents?
I get the sentiment. But I subscribe to the reasoning of full inclusivity as a way to shut up the ignorant protestations and misrepresentations of persons like ysr_racer. It’s not welfare. It’s an equal dividend.

A nice angle might be to create an “opt-out” contribution mechanism for those who are well off to kick back what they don’t need.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:34 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times
Quote:
The poor aren't going to pay it; this is who it is designed to help. The Zucks and Musks of the world sure aren't going to pay it.

So who is?

YOU, the middle class worker probably earning somewhere between $60k-$150k a year, are the one that's going to pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
For everyone complaining about this, they overlook the fact that these types of stimuli will go straight back into the economy. Those who are struggling to survive WILL use this money for buying food and other household necessities.
The problem with this reasoning is that it's total BS. Unless some extra dollars are just going to magically appear out of thin air, it's a zero sum game. Meaning that these dollars will only be spent by taking someone elses dollars first. Meaning that's money that someone else WON'T be spending.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:44 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,929,313 times
There's no such thing as free, SOMEBODY always has to pay for it.

Typical democrat, you're great at spending MY money.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
There's no such thing as free, SOMEBODY always has to pay for it.

Typical democrat, you're great at spending MY money.
No one called it “free’ … except you, because you don’t have any understanding of it. Just a knee-jerk reaction.

And I’m not a Democrat. Never have been. Just a logician.

You're already paying for it … into wasteful welfare programs. UBI reallocates equally. Just think, ysr, you get more money to buy that expensive gas you complain about for your Bentley.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:52 AM

3,267 posts, read 3,929,313 times
That money has to come from some place. Maybe my taxes?

Old 10-27-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
The poor aren't going to pay it; this is who it is designed to help. The Zucks and Musks of the world sure aren't going to pay it.

So who is?

YOU, the middle class worker probably earning somewhere between $60k-$150k a year, are the one that's going to pay it.

The problem with this reasoning is that it's total BS. Unless some extra dollars are just going to magically appear out of thin air, it's a zero sum game. Meaning that these dollars will only be spent by taking someone elses dollars first. Meaning that's money that someone else WON'T be spending.
None of it is bs. If you’d bother to study the history and concept you might learn something.

As for who pays for it, you are already paying for it. And beyond the amount of budgeting realized from converting welfare funding to UBI the modern proposals call for various transactional taxation such as fractional amounts out of financial investment trading (such as stocks), and especially internet commerce transactions which now are making Jeff Bezos richer than anyone in history every minute. Pretty sure Amazon can afford to pay a share …. especially considering how it has decimated brick and mortar retail / employment.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
That money has to come from some place. Maybe my taxes?
This is the information age ysr. Why not study up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California