Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 04:11 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yeah, it's called many of them want to socialize regardless of the pandemic. Latin culture's love of that is incompatible with these times.

Anyway, I see some decent points by people of various belief systems, but ultimately Faulconer or probably anyone else who considered taking Newsom's place very likely would be equally mediocre, as are leaders of most other states and nations* and also California's economy probably was especially fragile re contagious disease and local leaders in two of the hardest-hit spots (LA and OC) are terrible. And Newsom won't be recalled.

*I think a new Arnold regime would have been a modest improvement, but I think he got that out of his system.
Or it has more to do with Newsom's policies putting them out of work and his terrible handling of the pandemic that has disproportionately affected their communities. I think that would change their opinion more so than him trying to prevent socializing, which he actually can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 04:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
I haven't heard of the pandemic disproportionately hurting Latino workers. Some front-line jobs, which let's face it they are overrepresented, are very pandemic-resistant. The public isn't much blaming Newsom or other officials for the deaths (much more common in those communities) because he hasn't done too badly at that. He really can't prevent the socializing, but local leaders can to an extent and hardly try. It's simplistic thinking that replacing Newsom changes much (but the pandemic is bringing out black-and-white thinking to new heights/lows). I don't waste much mental energy on this topic.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-26-2021 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 04:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,032,845 times
Quote:
I haven't heard of the pandemic disproportionately hurting Latino workers. Some front-line jobs, which let's face it they are overrepresented, are very pandemic-resistant. The public isn't much blaming Newsom or other officials for the deaths (much more common in those communities) because he hasn't done too badly at that. He really can't prevent the socializing, but local leaders can to an extent and hardly try. It's simplistic thinking that replacing Newsom changes much (but the pandemic is bringing out black-and-white thinking to new heights/lows). I don't waste much mental energy on this topic.

A larger percentage of Hispanics and African Americans than Whites that are doing the socializing in larger groups so it would be very racist for the law enforcement to crack down on private gatherings. Hispanic owned restaurants were hurt both by the pandemic shut downs and the BLM riots last summer. You Moderator cut: note keep eating yourself up with your arguments towards lockdowns. They only work in a very cohesive, homogeneous society that is easily cut off from the rest of the world.

Last edited by Count David; 03-26-2021 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: namecalling

Old 03-26-2021, 04:51 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
State unemployment by race and ethnicity

State’s Black, Latino workers less likely to be covered by unemployment insurance amid COVID-19

So if he can't prevent socializing why would they turn on him for that as you suggested?

Old 03-26-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

They were prevented from holding their traditional festivities openly. They had to go underground and have them in private homes which contributed to the spread. It would have been a lot safer to celebrate at a park in the open air. If they allowed the BLM protests, they could have allowed traditional Hispanic festivities (and other ethnic celebrations) to happen at a public parks.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:04 PM

Pro-social attitude in general, the festivities in particular, plus general ignorance and irrationality as is coming from all types during this pandemic (including in bits and pieces on this thread, but I probably am not safe to point out where). Follow the leader's mean cousin -> blame the leader for everything. "If you support lockdown, you're my enemy." Re that subject, perfect is the enemy of the good is my retort....

Some dislike of the economic consequences too, now that I've seen objective reports about disproportionate economic harm to the Latino community, but not devastating, out-on-the-street harm (seemingly more likely to small business owners, many more of whom probably are white). I can change my mind from a good argument, unlike many others. I cannot say that Newsom's policies have disproportionately economically affected the Latino community - maybe the virus would have done it one way or another - but there's almost no reasoning with upset people and probably very little data on how much anger from that community is about income.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-26-2021 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Pro-social attitude in general, the festivities in particular, plus general ignorance and irrationality as is coming from all types during this pandemic (including in bits and pieces on this thread, but I probably am not safe to point out where). Follow the leader's mean cousin -> blame the leader for everything. "If you support lockdown, you're my enemy." Re that subject, perfect is the enemy of the good is my retort....

Some dislike of the economic consequences too, now that I've seen objective reports about disproportionate economic harm to the Latino community, but not devastating, out-on-the-street harm (seemingly more likely to small business owners, many more of whom probably are white). I can change my mind from a good argument, unlike many others.

In California, there are more non-white small business owners than White owned ones. Almost every local small business owned here is run by non-White immigrants and their second generation descendants and many were forced to close down for months at a time.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
In California, there are more non-white small business owners than White owned ones. Almost every local small business owned here is run by non-White immigrants and their second generation descendants and many were forced to close down for months at a time.
Source? It's probably a higher percentage than I think (just as the 'brown' percentage of the population is higher than I think), but your definition of "small business" is unlikely the government's definition of it. If this were limited to just independently-owned or franchised restaurants, then yeah, probably most are non-white owned, maybe even most Latino-owned

And this is going off-topic.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Source? It's probably a higher percentage than I think (just as the 'brown' percentage of the population is higher than I think), but your definition of "small business" is unlikely the government's definition of it. If this were limited to just independently-owned or franchised restaurants, then yeah, probably most are non-white owned, maybe even most Latino-owned

And this is going off-topic.

Lots of small restaurants and specialty stores owned by Hispanics and Asians in downtown Mountain View were especially hard hit. Asian salon owners too. Your argument that Newsom's lockdowns protected minorities more than they hurt them is fading fast.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:51 PM

1) I suppose, but that's not a source. 2) How many times do I have to tell you not to make things up? I said nothing close to that re Newsom anywhere, on this site or beyond. There will be no next time....

Edit: it just dawned on me that because non-buffet quick-serve and fast-food restaurants are very pandemic-resilient and probably have the highest minority ownership rates, the white owners of restaurants probably have taken a bigger hit than raw numbers suggest.

By the way, I haven't heard of any push by the Asian community to recall Newsom (and an article backs that up), which is food for thought (and not because Asian voters lean particularly left).

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-26-2021 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California