Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 07:09 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
He's not running, so no. Did I think he could win in 2003? No. Never said that either. But he didn't rank near Gary Coleman in that recall either. He was one of the three top vote getters, which was my point. The Republican votes weren't a solidarity movement for Arnold.

The question still remains, who are the Democrats going to stand behind as a contingency for Newsom if he fails to hold his job. I'm way more interested in that than I am talking about Faulconer's lack of name recognition in a thread where oddly and ironically, everyone knows exactly who he is.
If you put a Democrat on the ballot they won't pick up Republican support but it might convince Democrats to vote yes for the recall so that they could vote for a Democrat on the ballot, that could put yes votes over 50%. But you are not dumb, that is obvious so to be completely honest I think you knew when you posted that 'idea' how absolutely inane that would be for anyone who did not want to see us with a Republican Governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You said people are resorting to desperate measures to try to paint him like a monster, which I am curious to what exactly you are referring to. Yet that is exactly what him and his supporters are doing about people who support the recall.
I can't find any evidence of Newsom attacking the people who signed the petitions and I have searched for it. Yes he attacked the recall organizers but is that some kind of cardinal sin?

Old 03-26-2021, 08:04 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you put a Democrat on the ballot they won't pick up Republican support but it might convince Democrats to vote yes for the recall so that they could vote for a Democrat on the ballot, that could put yes votes over 50%. But you are not dumb, that is obvious so to be completely honest I think you knew when you posted that 'idea' how absolutely inane that would be for anyone who did not want to see us with a Republican Governor.

The Democrats have to run an alternate candidate. That's a given here. Newsom's handlers wants to maintain this aura of unity but even the LAT is saying it's inevitable that someone from his own party will jump into the race. My bet is on Villaraigosa.

People can vote no on the recall, and still vote for the replacement candidate, the second part of the ballot.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_210 View Post
And dismissing and ignoring all the balls he's dropped. They seem to focus on the French Laundry incident as the nothingburger driving the recall.

It (the French Laundry thing) has become a convenient deflection for use by Newsom's spin doctors. It's not even subtle either. They're pretending the genesis of the recall is that incident because it's easier to defend him dining out at a snobby restaurant than it is to address the litany of real blunders he's committed.

Nobody is buying it though.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The Democrats have to run an alternate candidate. That's a given here. Newsom's handlers wants to maintain this aura of unity but even the LAT is saying it's inevitable that someone from his own party will jump into the race. My bet is on Villaraigosa.

People can vote no on the recall, and still vote for the replacement candidate, the second part of the ballot.
No, they don't have to run an alternative candidate, where did you get that from? The last thing most democrats want is to get 50% + vote for recall, with a majority of republicans and right leaning independents signing the petition all that would do was give the supporters the > 50% that they need, no Democrat would get elected and you know it.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...f-16053676.php

Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, they don't have to run an alternative candidate, where did you get that from?

History, for one. This is the editorial I was talking about though if that's what you're asking.

Quote:
The last thing most democrats want is to get 50% + vote for recall, with a majority of republicans and right leaning independents signing the petition all that would do was give the supporters the > 50% that they need, no Democrat would get elected and you know it.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...f-16053676.php

Regardless of Pelosi's opinion, that op-ed says exactly what I've been saying since day one of this; mainly that the recall "puts Democrats in a dilemma" (quoted verbatim from your link). Whether or not they run an alternate candidate as an insurance policy and just risk that the recall will fail on question one, is another story. I guess we'll eventually see though, right? My guess is someone moderately well-known in the party will be on the ticket. And there's no doubt that lesser knowns will like they did in 2003, positioning themselves as 'protest' candidates who don't support the recall.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
History, for one. This is the editorial I was talking about though if that's what you're asking.

Regardless of Pelosi's opinion, that op-ed says exactly what I've been saying since day one of this; mainly that the recall "puts Democrats in a dilemma" (quoted verbatim from your link). Whether or not they run an alternate candidate as an insurance policy and just risk that the recall will fail on question one, is another story. I guess we'll eventually see though, right? My guess is someone moderately well-known in the party will be on the ticket. And there's no doubt that lesser knowns will like they did in 2003, positioning themselves as 'protest' candidates who don't support the recall.
You may be right but I would consider any Democrat running to be a traitor and I would never support them if they ran for office in this state.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
It (the French Laundry thing) has become a convenient deflection for use by Newsom's spin doctors. It's not even subtle either. They're pretending the genesis of the recall is that incident because it's easier to defend him dining out at a snobby restaurant than it is to address the litany of real blunders he's committed.

Nobody is buying it though.
It is when the backlash began. It's also not a major, relevant blunder, and I'd say that he hasn't done much very wrong. It's just a lot of mediocrity in a tough, very important situation vs. his early praise and continuing horn-tooting. If he didn't look and act the part of an egoist, I don't think the recall would have come close to happening. Maybe Asian people give him a pass because they relate to the hair

Old 03-26-2021, 10:28 PM

795 posts, read 407,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It is when the backlash began. It's also not a major, relevant blunder, and I'd say that he hasn't done much very wrong. It's just a lot of mediocrity in a tough, very important situation vs. his early praise and continuing horn-tooting. If he didn't look and act the part of an egoist, I don't think the recall would have come close to happening. Maybe Asian people give him a pass because they relate to the hair
The recall effort started long before the French laundry incident. The idiot showing his true colors in that incident did help the cause quite a bit though I will give you that. I signed the recall petition months before he dined out with his campaign donors there.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
You say you know, I suppose you do. I don't think I heard about it until after. Remove that incident or 'fix' his persona and there's nothing happening, I almost guarantee. By the way, probably echoing things Newsom or his people have said, this feels too much like cancel culture mixed with opportunism. Most politicians are mediocre and more than a few make dumb but legal decisions. A climate of regular, serious recall efforts bogs down the system and probably is why (I think) most states don't allow recalls. Maybe the number of signatures required needs to be increased by tens of thousands to not have the process abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California