Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2021, 08:54 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Also, you're right about wondering what would happen if the Democrats lost the governor's seat by not running an alternate candidate. But I'll make you a friendly wager here that if it were to happen, the first thing the legislature would do would be voting to strip the new Republican governor's emergency powers. And that will be very telling, and only help advance the ongoing litigation over Newsom's abuse of the ESA.
The ongoing litigation? You must mean all the lawsuits funded by Republicans and Judicial Watch? I'm sorry but I find it difficult to take that drivel seriously

Quote:
Many of the lawsuits filed against California’s shelter-in-place order are funded in part by conservative-leaning non-profits. One of the challenges to Gov. Newsom’s allocation of state funds to undocumented immigrants is supported by Judicial Watch, Inc, a longtime legal antagonist of Bill and Hillary Clinton, which recently sued the U.S. Department of Justice for information regarding ties between former Vice President Joe Biden and Ukraine.

Other nonprofit backers of the cases filed against California include the National Center for Law & Policy, which made headlines in 2015 when it sued the Encinitas public school district for treating its students as “religious ‘guinea pigs’” by subjecting them to yoga classes, and Freedom X, a Los Angeles-based organization that lists combating “intellectual McCarthyism” and “creeping Sharia” as its main campaigns.
https://calmatters.org/health/corona...cutive-orders/
(scroll to the bottom of that page and you can see how many these litigants have won)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 10:06 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,462,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
(scroll to the bottom of that page and you can see how many these litigants have won)

Well, that link is a tad out of date, isn't it --May 2020? It just says 'filed' for the one I'm talking about which is Gallagher/Kiley vs. Newsom which resulted in a temporary injunction against the Governor's abuse of the ESA which occurred a month later. That's a win. The appeal is set to be heard the end of April. We'll see what happens then. These things don't resolve with one pass. Ever.

The pace of litigation rivals that of glaciers, so it's a bit premature to dismiss everything as settled. Far from it, the process is in its infancy. But, yeah. It's a shame it takes so long to get the courts to act.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Looking at that link more closely, they haven't updated what they call A.A. vs Newsom which also resulted in a win in the form of a temporary injunction. Just last week the ruling was clarified to apply statewide.

Unless I missed it, there isn't a single case on that list in your link that says "dismissed with prejudice". Just sayin'... don't read too much into the volume of cases being in limbo right now. That's normal. Also, it's beside my point. My point was, I predict the legislature will move quickly to end any Newsom replacement's emergency powers if the recall succeeds. That action will be very telling with respect to the ongoing litigation over that issue.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Well, that link is a tad out of date, isn't it --May 2020? It just says 'filed' for the one I'm talking about which is Gallagher/Kiley vs. Newsom which resulted in a temporary injunction against the Governor's abuse of the ESA which occurred a month later. That's a win. The appeal is set to be heard the end of April. We'll see what happens then. These things don't resolve with one pass. Ever.
The pace of litigation rivals that of glaciers, so it's a bit premature to dismiss everything as settled. Far from it, the process is in its infancy. But, yeah. It's a shame it takes so long to get the courts to act.
Look at top of page and you will notice that it was updated on Feb 7 2021. By the way, a temporary injunction is hardly a win when "that stay was quickly reversed by an appellate court"

Old 03-28-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Look at top of page and you will notice that it was updated on Feb 7 2021. By the way, a temporary injunction is hardly a win when "that stay was quickly reversed by an appellate court"

I did see that but decided not to edit, hence the followup post. The case is still active though.
As for a temporary injunction being hardly a win, that's your opinion. In the eyes of the legal system, it is one. And as I said, none of those cases have been outright dismissed with no chance of appeal. The stay which was ordered in the Gallagher/Kiley case is headed to appeal April 20th. These things don't happen in one pass. Ever. They certainly don't die after being enjoined once either. This will work its way up the judicial ladder.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:10 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,665,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Faulconer is a nobody who achieved nothing, before this nobody outside SD even knew who he was. Everyone knew who Newsome was when he was done being Mayor of SF, ditto for Villaregosa. When you are mayor of the second largest city in CA and no one knows who the f*** you are, you suck arse. Period.

That being said, that might not be enough to prevent Newsome from losing. While Newsom's attempt to preserve life is admirable, he has come across as a total kook. Some of that can be blamed on Trump for throwing Governors into a role that should have been handled by the Feds.

But Newsom's French restaurant debacle might cost him. It showed that he is everything that people say is wrong with Bay Area political leadership. The elitism, arrogance, and hypocrisy turned even Democrats like me off. I'm not sure what putting Faulconer in would achieve. He would just spar with the legislature, which has a super majority of Democrats and would likely be a purely symbolic Republican victory...reeking of opportunism during a crisis.
The bolded is what sent the nutjobs over the edge. They could easily tolerate all of Trump's lies and the insurrection - no problem! I truly wish all of these backwards lunatics would move to Texas where the governor would much better suit them.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:26 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,750,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The bolded is what sent the nutjobs over the edge. They could easily tolerate all of Trump's lies and the insurrection - no problem! I truly wish all of these backwards lunatics would move to Texas where the governor would much better suit them.
This is what's getting Newsom. He lies and is defiant when clearly wrong, exactly like Trump was. You can't say it was ok for Trump to lie, but that it's ok for Newsom to conceal COVID data and to lie. It's easy to rush for the QAnon, right wing nutjob nonsense to change the topic, but the reality is that Independents favor the recall, and many recall supporters, including me, are Biden supporters.

The average voter who isn't blinded by narcissistic politicians or partisan talking points had enough of Trump and has had enough of Newsolini.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Looking at that link more closely, they haven't updated what they call A.A. vs Newsom which also resulted in a win in the form of a temporary injunction. Just last week the ruling was clarified to apply statewide.

Unless I missed it, there isn't a single case on that list in your link that says "dismissed with prejudice". Just sayin'... don't read too much into the volume of cases being in limbo right now. That's normal. Also, it's beside my point. My point was, I predict the legislature will move quickly to end any Newsom replacement's emergency powers if the recall succeeds. That action will be very telling with respect to the ongoing litigation over that issue.
You keep moving the goalpost, apparently now in order to count a case as being dead (dropped/lost/withdrawn) it has to be listed as "dismissed with prejudice".

The case you are referencing was clarified to mean "statewide" by a San Diego Superior Court is not binding statewide, it can be considered persuasive but not binding. I am confused by the lawsuit though, what do the litigants want, no state guidelines for reopening schools?

But I'm puzzled by this comment of yours "I predict the legislature will move quickly to end any Newsom replacement's emergency powers if the recall succeeds." Does that mean you are anxious for Newsom's replacement to have the ability to make emergency orders? If so, you need to think about who some of these people who have announced their intention to file to be on the ballot really are, you might try looking up what John Cox said about homosexuals, or what Rich Grenell said in his litany of derogatory comments on Twitter about women’s personal appearances...or how about Mike Cernovich, the Pizzagate conspiracist? Some of these people shouldn't be allowed to run for dog catcher, let alone Governor of California.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,665,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
This is what's getting Newsom. He lies and is defiant when clearly wrong, exactly like Trump was. You can't say it was ok for Trump to lie, but that it's ok for Newsom to conceal COVID data and to lie. It's easy to rush for the QAnon, right wing nutjob nonsense to change the topic, but the reality is that Independents favor the recall, and many recall supporters, including me, are Biden supporters.

The average voter who isn't blinded by narcissistic politicians or partisan talking points had enough of Trump and has had enough of Newsolini.
I think Newsom is an awesome governor, but it doesn't matter what I think. He was ELECTED by the people of the state of California to serve and I think he's doing fine - yes, the French Laundry incident was a mistake, as he has said (don't recall Trump ever admitting he was wrong doing anything).

ELECTIONS are when the people decide who will serve.

The people whose candidate don't win have to wait for their turn to vote next time - not throw tantrums and waste MILLIONS OF DOLLARS - not to mention time that could be much better spent.

Babies who don't like the cool young guy. So obviously envy. Don't they talk about it in those huge right wing commercial churches?

Do something more productive with your time.

I am furious all of that money is being wasted for what amounts to two-year-old tantrums.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

Supporters of recall: 86.2% of Republicans support it, alongside just 11.8% of Democrats and 39.4% of independents.

39.4% of independents is nothing to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California