Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 11:39 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
So I'm curious (or nosey) Tulemutt. Do you wear a mask in public and what do you think of the economy shut-downs? I mask up when I go out and about, but I have to tell you, after a few minutes with a mask on, I feel like George Floyd............"I can't breathe." I've tried the cloth masks and the paper masks. I've had trouble with both. I wind up gasping for breath and pulling it down so I can breathe properly. So much for not touching your face.
Ah. Well, I won’t disclose my personal opinions and habits on the mask wearing and economy shut downs ... because they:
1. Would be meaningless in the grand scheme of things
2. Would pollute any worth of my overall assessment of the whole event reality

That said, I will share my overview assessment ... which is, and has been since the start:

There are four categories of players in this mess:
1. Scientists (including: medical researchers, epidemiologists, bio-statisticians, et al) with related expertise
2. Economists
3. Politicians
4. The public - which includes inexpert anonymous, armchair speculators and quarterbacks by the 10s of thousands posting millions of personal opinions and anecdotes on internet forums about the nature of the disease and why some people / places get it worse or less than others, etc., backed by exactly nothing especially qualified that should command any intelligent alignment.

With the above categories in mind, the first thing I see is: none of the 4 categories knows enough - yet - about this coronavirus to be absolutely correctively predictive ... thus all advisories are educated guessing at best - with one obvious exception: the less contact between people: the less opportunity for transmission.

How concerned we should all be about transmission is not yet known. But when considering anything confirmed to have deadly potential - which IS confirmed with CV19 - erring on the side of caution is obviously prudent while experts determine the dynamics of who is at risk and how that plays into populations and economics in a macro picture.

Next, I consider that while category 1 can be wrong in any number of attempts at its educated guesses - it IS, um, the ONLY category with ANY medical / scientific expertise from which to be making guesses. I also trust that category 1 will make adjustments based on developing scientific data as they learn ... AND they ARE learning, scientifically, at a rapid rate in these modern times.

So, when category 1 issue corrections and reversals and contradictory information and advisories - I call it par for the course and give them a pass at having made some misses ... give ‘em some mulligans, as it were ... as opposed to throwing hissy fits and calling them stupid, ignorant, incompetent arsholes.

Now, category 2, the economists? Well, whatever they have to contribute relies on best information from category 1 and willingness of category 3. I find economics as exciting as watching paint dry, so once again I have no problem just deferring to their attempts to stabilize the chaos.

Ah category 3! So much sport bashing this category. What fun too! But, fact is, even when politicians are narcissists, mostly they DO want what is best for the public ... because what works for the voters is what gets them re elected. Beyond that, I think there are quite a few truly well-intentioned office holders and their competence / incompetence shakes itself out every few years by and large.

Finally, a look at the yahoo army of category 4. If there is any hesitation for me to pay attention to categories 1, 2, and 3 - it is laughable compared to how I feel about paying attention to ANY bloviations from category 4. Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds the nut, the old saying goes. And so, true as it is that some of the guessing made by anonymous armchair quarterbacks, speculating wildly on internet forums will turn out to be correct guesses ... I’m sticking with the best expertise, category 1, however flawed it may be along the way.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:30 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ah. Well, I won’t disclose my personal opinions and habits on the mask wearing and economy shut downs ... because they:

That said, I will share my overview assessment ... which is, and has been since the start:

1. Scientists (including: medical researchers, epidemiologists, bio-statisticians, et al) with related expertise
2. Economists
3. Politicians
4. The public - which includes inexpert anonymous, armchair speculators and quarterbacks by the 10s of thousands posting millions of personal opinions and anecdotes on internet forums about the nature of the disease and why some people / places get it worse or less than others, etc., backed by exactly nothing especially qualified that should command any intelligent alignment.

With the above categories in mind, the first thing I see is: none of the 4 categories knows enough - yet - about this coronavirus to be absolutely correctively predictive ... thus all advisories are educated guessing at best - with one obvious exception: the less contact between people: the less opportunity for transmission.

How concerned we should all be about transmission is not yet known. But when considering anything confirmed to have deadly potential - which IS confirmed with CV19 - erring on the side of caution is obviously prudent while experts determine the dynamics of who is at risk and how that plays into populations and economics in a macro picture.

Next, I consider that while category 1 can be wrong in any number of attempts at its educated guesses - it IS, um, the ONLY category with ANY medical / scientific expertise from which to be making guesses. I also trust that category 1 will make adjustments based on developing scientific data as they learn ... AND they ARE learning, scientifically, at a rapid rate in these modern times.

So, when category 1 issue corrections and reversals and contradictory information and advisories - I call it par for the course and give them a pass at having made some misses ... give ‘em some mulligans, as it were ... as opposed to throwing hissy fits and calling them stupid, ignorant, incompetent arsholes.

Now, category 2, the economists? Well, whatever they have to contribute relies on best information from category 1 and willingness of category 3. I find economics as exciting as watching paint dry, so once again I have no problem just deferring to their attempts to stabilize the chaos.

Ah category 3! So much sport bashing this category. What fun too! But, fact is, even when politicians are narcissists, mostly they DO want what is best for the public ... because what works for the voters is what gets them re elected. Beyond that, I think there are quite a few truly well-intentioned office holders and their competence / incompetence shakes itself out every few years by and large.

Finally, a look at the yahoo army of category 4. If there is any hesitation for me to pay attention to categories 1, 2, and 3 - it is laughable compared to how I feel about paying attention to ANY bloviations from category 4. Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds the nut, the old saying goes. And so, true as it is that some of the guessing made by anonymous armchair quarterbacks, speculating wildly on internet forums will turn out to be correct guesses ... I’m sticking with the best expertise, category 1, however flawed it may be along the way.

So, for yourself you are not replacing taking advice from category 1, with a radio talk show host...... :-)

Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
So, for yourself you are not replacing taking advice from category 1, with a radio talk show host...... :-)
Excellent summary. You may pass Go ... and continue on with the game. +1. (As soon as the Rep gods allow again.)

Old 06-16-2020, 08:55 AM

From SF Chronicle
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus-screenshot_2020-06-16-home.png  

Old 06-16-2020, 09:54 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Here are the stats from my county. It appears that young people get it in higher amounts than I thought.

2664 - Total positive cases
35 - Travelers
1292 - Person to Person/Contact
1337 - Unknown/Under Investigation
1840 - Recovered Cases
98 - Deaths

985 - Under self-quarantine and being monitored by Tulare County Public Health officials.

Age Groups

262 - Ages 0 - 17
367 - Ages 18 - 25
645 - Ages 26 - 40
880 - Ages 41 - 64
510 - Ages 65+

Old 06-17-2020, 02:19 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Deaths among nursing home residents in Orange County reached 51% of the total today (124 of 243 total deaths). New cases and hospitalizations have been creeping up at a slow pace, but I don't think we have that info available about where the new cases may be coming from.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:14 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

2. Economists
3. Politicians

Oh, good old Category 4! You forgot to include a disclaimer about the list being extremely non-exhaustive.
I'd like to suggest that also worth calling out are Internet trolls; many independent and many others belonging to organizations that want to sow confusion, discontent, and disorganization among us. Fear, uncertainty, doubt!

Old 06-18-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Oh, good old Category 4! You forgot to include a disclaimer about the list being extremely non-exhaustive.
I'd like to suggest that also worth calling out are Internet trolls; many independent and many others belonging to organizations that want to sow confusion, discontent, and disorganization among us. Fear, uncertainty, doubt!
We certainly have them right here in this forum as well. Yeps.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:40 AM

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...r-15347676.php

Old 06-22-2020, 07:37 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I reached my article limit, but I can see the headline:

‘It’s almost like there’s this monster inside of you’
Those who have battled the coronavirus say they aren’t certain they’ve defeated it, but know their lives will never be the same. Here are the stories of eight Bay Area survivors.

and: Being a survivor of the coronavirus doesn’t mean you’ve recovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California