Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 09:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
What's so difficult about wearing masks and limiting indoor dining and nearly forbidding large indoor gatherings until a very small percentage of cases caused by this highly contagious virus cause major problems or the positivity rate is very low?

That could take years. So singles can't date? People new in town can't go and make new friends in person? Kids can't go to school or have playdates? Families can't see each other in person? No weddings, birthday parties, or any normal in person events except for BLM riots? Just stare at the screen endlessly for next 3 years. People who can't wear a mask for medical reasons or have small kids who can't handle wearing one are literally locked up in their home with no chance of going outside. There will always be a certain percentage of the population who will refuse to get vaccinated. There will always be a certain percentage of the population that are exempt from the rules. Many people want to actually live and not just stay alive and you can't expect people to put up with these restrictions for years.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:01 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Why isn’t a COVID-19 vaccine available to kids at the same time as adults?
Children were not and still are not the ones who are most likely to get severely ill and or die from COVID-19.
It has been known from the very earliest days of the circulation of the Sars-Cov2 virus that the oldest are by far most likely to die. I am very glad that the vaccine was developed first for adults, that vaccines were distributed to the oldest among us and those in care homes who were dying at by far in the greatest numbers.

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, medical professionals test vaccines for illnesses like this first on adults before they test on children. What parents would have volunteered their children to be vaccinated before we saw how good and safe the vaccines are on adults first?

Children will be vaccinated in due time, but older adults, caregivers, healthcare workers, first responders, food workers, the severely obese and others with co-morbidities, etc. must be given the vaccinated first. There just isn't enough vaccine to go around for everyone yet, either, even though vaccine distribution has ramped up so much better since January. Just yesterday it was announced that the administration is two months ahead of schedule.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
That could take years. So singles can't date? People new in town can't go and make new friends in person? Kids can't go to school or have playdates? Families can't see each other in person? No weddings, birthday parties, or any normal in person events except for BLM riots? Just stare at the screen endlessly for next 3 years. People who can't wear a mask for medical reasons or have small kids who can't handle wearing one are literally locked up in their home with no chance of going outside. There will always be a certain percentage of the population who will refuse to get vaccinated. There will always be a certain percentage of the population that are exempt from the rules. Many people want to actually live and not just stay alive and you can't expect people to put up with these restrictions for years.
BLM reference makes me think you're not capable of making this the good conversation it could be. Therefore, I'm not trying very hard.

People can date. It usually has to start online to be safe, though, and the old standbys of dinner and a movie don't work well anymore for health reasons and were losing popularity before that anyway. Events like small weddings are happening. Small-scale for almost everything is doable (usually should also be faster-paced).

Some people need to stay home almost all the time, but life does have to go on for society. And I think, besides masks and some indoor activities, it will be normal enough for the vast majority soon. I half-expect a bad end to the year, due to more dangerous variants and immunity wearing off, but not as bad as late 2020. However, if people decide they're done with masks and other restrictions now, everything will take longer. A year without restrictions on a wide range of activities and no major outbreaks - that's 2022; it's up to us and medical advancements.

for reference
https://www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...l#post60501520

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-03-2021 at 11:16 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 11:21 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Quote:
BLM reference makes me think you're not capable of making this the good conversation it could be. Therefore, I'm not trying very hard.

People can date. It usually has to start online to be safe, though, and the old standbys of dinner and a movie don't work well anymore for health reasons and were losing popularity before that anyway. Events like small weddings are happening. Small-scale for almost everything is doable (usually should also be faster-paced).

Some people need to stay home almost all the time, but life does have to go on for society. And I think, besides masks and some indoor activities, it will be normal enough for the vast majority soon. I half-expect a bad end to the year, due to more dangerous variants and immunity wearing off, but not as bad as late 2020. However, if people decide they're done with masks and other restrictions now, everything will take longer. A year without restrictions on a wide range of activities and no major outbreaks - that's 2022; it's up to us and medical advancements.

for reference
//www.city-data.com/forum/arkansas/3249490-arkansas-lifting-covid-restrictions-let-freedom.html#post60501520

The BLM riots were the ONLY in person group activity that were endorsed by the leftists when we were all on stay at home orders. Don't you dare open your barbershop or gather with anyone who doesn't live with you unless you're causing mayhem on the street with thousands of strangers.Yes, a first or second date can be virtual but relationships are built through person to person contact. With any type of indoor gatherings outside of one's immediate household forbidden and requirements to stay 6 feet apart and remain masked when meeting outdoors, how can a two people who are dating build their relationship before making a decision to move in together just so they can actually touch each other legally? I also know a couple of people with young kids who won't leave their masks on and are pretty much housebound because of it: no underlying health issues. Just normal kids. Do you expect them to stay completely housebound until we reach near zero Covid? Your leftist goals are unsustainable.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
As far as I know, mingling indoors with a few others who don't share a household is now allowed (masks required where enforceable, I believe). Barbershops are open indoors even in Los Angeles.

I'm not a leftist. I advise you to watch what you say.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-04-2021 at 12:22 AM..

Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob9 View Post
Sorry I don't know where to post this: my family lives in Los Angeles county, San Gabriel valley. The school where my TK and 2nd grade boys are going gives us options: the kids either go to school this March 22 OR continue to stay home doing the distance learning. These two kids will go back to our home in San Gabriel valley from their aunt' house in Arizona. They are currently healthy. My family members, though (my parents, myself and my sister) all got sick of Covid last Feb 14 (tested positive on Feb 15). We all have recovered but the doctor said the virus is still in our bodies for 90 days since Feb 14. Should we send the kids to school or let them stay in our home?
If they stay at home, they will interact with us (we have masks on and try to avoid the kids as much as we can). If they go to school, they still interact with us after school time.
Continue to stay in Arizona is not an option as my wife would lose her job if she stays in Arizona with the kids. She got to be back. Thanks for your inputs.
You might want to start a thread in the Health forum to get more pertinent answers. Good luck to you.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:14 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
I could not have said it better. Add to that the erasure of at least a full year of education, going on two. People's physical development doesn't stop, so those years, at critical developmental points are gone forever.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:19 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
The BLM riots were the ONLY in person group activity that were endorsed by the leftists when we were all on stay at home orders. Don't you dare open your barbershop or gather with anyone who doesn't live with you unless you're causing mayhem on the street with thousands of strangers.Yes, a first or second date can be virtual but relationships are built through person to person contact. With any type of indoor gatherings outside of one's immediate household forbidden and requirements to stay 6 feet apart and remain masked when meeting outdoors, how can a two people who are dating build their relationship before making a decision to move in together just so they can actually touch each other legally? I also know a couple of people with young kids who won't leave their masks on and are pretty much housebound because of it: no underlying health issues. Just normal kids. Do you expect them to stay completely housebound until we reach near zero Covid? Your leftist goals are unsustainable.
With all due respect, this must be where people get the idea that we live in "fear and panic" (or from the anecdotal story that was posted about their friend walking her dog and being yelled at by someone for not wearing a mask). As has been pointed out, barbershops and hair salons are open. People are dating--although most of them meet in open spaces like parks and on hiking trails, many kids have returned to school part time, outdoor restaurants are open, etc.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:44 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Quote:

for reference
//www.city-data.com/forum/arkansas/3249490-arkansas-lifting-covid-restrictions-let-freedom.html#post60501520
It is unfortunate that the debate is risking getting sidetracked by the BLM reference. However, whatever one thinks of BLM, there is a major risk when the right to peaceable assembly guaranteed by the First Amendment becomes content-dependent. A major indicia of First Amendment violation is whether the regulation depends upon content. Time, place and manner restrictions are perfectly OK. One cannot allow for example a demonstration tying up a major urban freeway (though there were some of those in NYC the day before Thanksgiving 2014), no matter what the objective of the demonstration. The politicians seriously eroded support for restrictions in their response to the burst of rioting after George Floyd's killing.

As far as the restrictions you are minimizing for 2022, families being unable to host weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, funerals, bris ceremonies and other life cycle events for two and three quarters years is not trivial. A Bat Mitzvah scheduled for March 21, 2020 for one of my Rabbi's daughters at age 13 becomes really hard three years later. Does it double as a Sweet Sixteen party? That is, if people don't find a reason for further lockdown.

As as far as your example for dating, I got my now-wife's name and phone number on December 31, 1989 and I called her on January 2 or 3. Our first date was January 6, 1990. If Covid were going around then for a year, should I have asked her vaccination status on that first phone call, or asked her to get a Covid test? What a romantic way to start.

Or funerals. My father-in-law died January 27 of this year. The funeral was set for January 29, 2021. Do you have any idea how difficult the arrangements for an outdoor graveside funeral were, on a day with biting cold and a ripping wind? How long are people going to live this way?

Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
... Or funerals. My father-in-law died January 27 of this year. The funeral was set for January 29, 2021. Do you have any idea how difficult the arrangements for an outdoor graveside funeral were, on a day with biting cold and a ripping wind? How long are people going to live this way?
My wife died at New Years. I have pledged a celebration of her remarkable spirit and life to come late summer / early fall. Every person communicated with since her death has responded “Wonderful! We’ll be there!” ... and I have no doubt that all who loved her will show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California