Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 05:16 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
States with the Fewest Coronavirus Restrictions

CA dead last at #51 yet has more deaths per capita than the least restrictive state, Oklahoma. How is that possible? I thought all these restrictions "saved" lives?
WalletHub is an expert on either virus transmission or how severe virus restrictions are? And your article was written the day that mandatory stay at home orders were lifted throughout the state.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
WalletHub is an expert on either virus transmission or how severe virus restrictions are? And your article was written the day that mandatory stay at home orders were lifted throughout the state.
What exactly about their methodology do you disagree or have an issue with? The article said nothing about virus transmission either.

CA ranked 50th on 10/6, so do you really think the date actually makes much of a difference overall? Really?

Old 02-08-2021, 05:35 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
The reason that teachers and administrators aren't able to return to schools is because a few lucky families who can afford it are using learning pods? Why would this have anything to do with what you're claiming?
What I am trying to say, maybe phrased inartfully, is that the most influential and literate people politically make sure they and their families are taken care of.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:10 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
States with the Fewest Coronavirus Restrictions

CA dead last at #51 yet has more deaths per capita than the least restrictive state, Oklahoma. How is that possible? I thought all these restrictions "saved" lives?

They probably do, in places like San Francisco. Things to do in Southern California, plus local leaders who are lax (some defiant, some just incompetent) and residents who too often are stupid or selfish, has deaths much higher there (especially what's here for me, in Los Angeles).

Old 02-09-2021, 06:38 AM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Of course it's in their best interests to pretend to teach from the comfort of their living room and collect full salary. In that sense you are right. The reason this is allowed to persist is that the upper-middle and upper classes get their children tutored or join "learning pods" come what may. See PODS, or Parent Organized Discovery Sites Upending Public Education in Age of COVID.
I work in a school. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:42 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
They probably do, in places like San Francisco. Things to do in Southern California, plus local leaders who are lax (some defiant, some just incompetent) and residents who too often are stupid or selfish, has deaths much higher there (especially what's here for me, in Los Angeles).
It's not eating at restaurants or going shopping or getting a haircut that leads to deaths. Restrictions on those things are just window dressing. The most significant factor to spread is crowded housing, and SoCal, especially Los Angeles, has more people who live in crowded housing than the Bay area.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Restrictions can only do so much; people's behavior is what contributed to the surge in both cases and deaths.

In the spring, while New York suffered untold devastation from the COVID-19 pandemic, California was so successful in keeping the virus at bay that at least one expert called it the “California miracle.”

So when the coronavirus began to proliferate with unprecedented fury in November, transforming California into the epicenter of the pandemic, health experts and residents struggled to understand what had gone wrong.

There are many possible theories as to why California was hit so hard starting in the late fall, including the introduction of more contagious strains of the virus, dry weather that made transmission easier and a higher percentage of the population being vulnerable to the disease because relatively few Californians had been infected up to that point.

But most experts point to changes in behavior: people beginning to abandon staying home, social distancing while out and other precautions that experts say curb transmission of the coronavirus.

In the fall, masking dipped in California while social distancing fell to the lowest levels since the pandemic began, according to one analysis. Meanwhile, the numbers of Californians attending gatherings with 10 or more people reached the highest level since before March, according to a USC survey...

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...rge-got-so-bad

Old 02-09-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Give him a break, Stone. He apologized. (A rarity around here.)

Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Of course it's in their best interests to pretend to teach from the comfort of their living room and collect full salary. In that sense you are right. The reason this is allowed to persist is that the upper-middle and upper classes get their children tutored or join "learning pods" come what may. See PODS, or Parent Organized Discovery Sites Upending Public Education in Age of COVID.
Give him a break, Stone. He apologized. (A rarity around here.)
Stone26, I would appreciate being told what the reality is rather than being called an ignoramus. As CA4Now points out I readily acknowledge when I am wrong or when I mis-word things. My perception is that people in general, not just teachers, have grown to enjoy working in the comfort of their home, far from the prying eyes of supervisors. In my defense I have been working from our firm's White Plains office since June and have periodically ventured into the New York City office. NYC remains poorly utilized but in White Plains it is close to pre-pandemic conditions.

I do not think teachers are unique in their desire for an easier life.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Restrictions can only do so much; people's behavior is what contributed to the surge in both cases and deaths.

There are many possible theories as to why California was hit so hard starting in the late fall, including the introduction of more contagious strains of the virus, dry weather that made transmission easier and a higher percentage of the population being vulnerable to the disease because relatively few Californians had been infected up to that point.
I could not rep you again, but I think you got it right in the paragraph just below the eliminated text. In New York life was proceeding at the normal, hectic NYC pace until somewhere between March 9 and March 13, 2020. On Monday, March 9 the parking lot at the White Plains station was only a little bit less than full. My March 13, 2020 I could almost park next to the train tracks. The Managing Partner of the firm bought pizza for "those brave enough to come in" and around, maybe, one-quarter of the attorneys and one-tenth of the non-attorney staff was in. On Saturday, March 14 while I attended my last movie the firm sent out an email informing attorneys that the office was closed and suggesting that we pull out our laptops and files we needed.

My point here is that quite a few New Yorkers were exposed to a blasting of exposure. Many sickened and died, but obviously most did not. What the other ones got was some form of immunity, whether "T-Cell" or antibodies. Others got barely perceptible cases. While this is not quite "herd immunity" it is quite close.

The "second time around" the area did not have quite the "look and feel" of a ghost town as it did from March 13 onward, or certainly in early April when official restrictions were at their tightest. A good indicator is gasoline prices. Costco was at $1.65 in late March, early April. It is now at $2.29. The Hutchinson Parkway Mobil was at $2.45 and is now at $2.87. That is a good indicator of activity, or lack thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California