Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 08:36 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,701,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't agree with this. The move to virtual instruction has been long and painstaking, and I doubt that anyone in Sacramento had any idea of what would be involved. Don't forget that in mid-March of 2020, ten and a half months ago, kids were sent home with parents believing that they'd be returning in two weeks. We weren't even clear about the major way in which the virus was transmitted back then.
As a school employee, when everything got shut down in March, we truly believed that we would be coming back after Spring Break. The second semester was mostly a joke in a lot of districts. While I think our district did fairly well during that time (we already had most of the infrastructure set up for distance learning... we basically just needed to "flip the switch"), it was STILL distance learning, which isn't really very conducive for most students. And the truth is, we (all districts) were all figuring it out as we went along.

The new school year had better planning, but we were still anticipating opening up at some point, which may or may not happen now. It would be GREAT if we had a state-wide plan on exactly what needs to happen for schools to open up. It would also be great if we had a state-wide plan to close schools back down if things got out of control. But for whatever reason, we really don't have either of those. I think it's going to be a slow walk to get to that point, with most schools eventually opening up during summer, at the earliest.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:57 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
It's not "necessary" at all, since many schools are at least partially open (including the schools that I work at). But it sure is a lot safer for the staff. We've had multiple staff members test positive for COVID throughout the school year, and multiple families with kids in our schools. We've had to shut down classes due to exposures, we even had to shut down the whole district at one point (and move back to Distance Learning) simply because we had so many staff out sick with COVID, or staff quarantined due to exposures, that we were not able to staff the schools for in-person instruction. Vaccines would stop a lot of that, and help keep things a lot more predictable. And personally, it would make me feel a lot safer. As it stands right now, I have to depend on my coworkers, and the families that we serve, to take the precautions to keep all of us safe. And frankly, that's kind of a scary place to be.

It's the same situation at the site I'm currently at. We have a significant in-person presence and nobody is vaccinated including me. It doesn't help that the governor says it's not necessary though. That's only helping drive this wedge between parents and staff. And since most I talk to fundamentally don't understand that reopening isn't tied to vaccines, regardless of of what ongoing/future bargaining might include, it's a big setback to have Newsom take that position.

Until vaccine coverage grows enough to drop case numbers, nobody is going to feel totally comfortable in spite of all the measures in place just to keep campuses open in their current limited capacity. Personally, I've always felt that it could be done at scale, and done right, if the staffing was there and the commitment to sticking to the protocols remained. It's frustrating to see Newom suddenly and inexplicably diminish the severity of 'purple' tier though just to carve out an exception for K-6 schools. This after beating the drum of how important it is to be vigilant for all the prior months.

I hope you're right that vaccination will take care a lot of this but the rollout has been too slow to see results so far.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't agree with this. The move to virtual instruction has been long and painstaking, and I doubt that anyone in Sacramento had any idea of what would be involved. Don't forget that in mid-March of 2020, ten and a half months ago, kids were sent home with parents believing that they'd be returning in two weeks. We weren't even clear about the major way in which the virus was transmitted back then.

In the beginning, I cut the state a lot of slack. I lost faith when the focus shifted from what's important to whether or not beach and bar closures were warranted and Newsom's press conferences strayed towards the trivial. It's been at least 6-8 months since that point and that's plenty of time to put together a coherent plan. Rather than dwell on that though, I'm hoping the state learns from this and has a system in place for the next time.

FWIW, nobody I worked with believed that the two week deep clean/virus containment would be the end of it. Before schools even shut down, there was a lot of scuttlebutt that when it happened, it would be for the rest of the year.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:58 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
It's the same situation at the site I'm currently at. We have a significant in-person presence and nobody is vaccinated including me. It doesn't help that the governor says it's not necessary though. That's only helping drive this wedge between parents and staff. And since most I talk to fundamentally don't understand that reopening isn't tied to vaccines, regardless of of what ongoing/future bargaining might include, it's a big setback to have Newsom take that position.

Until vaccine coverage grows enough to drop case numbers, nobody is going to feel totally comfortable in spite of all the measures in place just to keep campuses open in their current limited capacity. Personally, I've always felt that it could be done at scale, and done right, if the staffing was there and the commitment to sticking to the protocols remained. It's frustrating to see Newom suddenly and inexplicably diminish the severity of 'purple' tier though just to carve out an exception for K-6 schools. This after beating the drum of how important it is to be vigilant for all the prior months.

I hope you're right that vaccination will take care a lot of this but the rollout has been too slow to see results so far.
I agree, 100%

Old 02-05-2021, 02:49 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I was just thinking whether were k-6 schools exempt from the "stay at home" order since last December until January 26? Just as its exempt from the purple tier nowadays? Its interesting they would call it a "stay at home" order if state funded schools are allowed to operate. And now that Biden comes to office schools are all of a sudden pressured to open rather than forbidden to open.
Of course they would not do the same about house of worships and other buildings even though they should get better ventilation systems as well.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I was just thinking whether were k-6 schools exempt from the "stay at home" order since last December until January 26? Just as its exempt from the purple tier nowadays?

No to the first question and K-6 isn't currently exempt from purple tier either. The governor's grand plan was to modify it to allow basically a quadruple-purple level allowance. The legislature appears to be passing on the idea as he/they have gotten considerable pushback over the proposal.

It's funny how some of the opponents of the recall cite a fear of some loose cannon Newsom replacement coming along and "throwing the doors open" in California. But here we have the current guy doing just that with these non-scientific adjustments to his own rules.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:22 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Let's hope that people are careful tomorrow.

In normal times, the Super Bowl is one of the country’s premier social occasions — bringing enthusiasts and nonfans alike together for hours of football-fueled festivities.

But in the era of COVID-19, officials and experts say Sunday’s game poses a tremendous risk, and that widespread large watch parties could imperil California’s precarious emergence from the worst wave of the pandemic.

“Don’t fumble this. We’re almost there,” said Dr. Mark Ghaly, California’s health and human services secretary. “Let’s keep our guard up a little bit longer.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...per-bowl-risks

Old 02-08-2021, 10:02 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
3. Teacher Unions are there to look out for the teachers' best interests. Whether we agree or not, they are doing exactly what they are paid to do.
Of course it's in their best interests to pretend to teach from the comfort of their living room and collect full salary. In that sense you are right. The reason this is allowed to persist is that the upper-middle and upper classes get their children tutored or join "learning pods" come what may. See PODS, or Parent Organized Discovery Sites Upending Public Education in Age of COVID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The development of Parent Organized Discovery Sites, or PODS to supplant online or partially-reopened schools threatens to upend the public school system, threatens to upend public education.

(link to article) Excerpt:

Let's make one thing clear; I love PODS. I think that public education has become quite politicized and "politically correct." The life of education was being sucked out even before COVID. And as someone who was somewhat "bullied" back in the 1960's and early 1970's you would think sensitivity training would be something I favor. It isn't.

Now, in the COVID era, this will allow parents who are educationally motivated and have some resources to supplant a public school system now reeling from the COVID pandemic. Since they are parent-organized they will be able to filter out those with special needs or behavioral problems. Thus, inequality will be enhanced, not lessened.

When everything is not focused on COVID this will reduce the constituency for taxpayer-supported school. Another case where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Those supporting slow reopenings are hurting those they want to help; another typical perverse result. In a worst-case scenario, this will gut the public-service unions, and the public schools.

Not a good thing, but inevitable the way things are going.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
States with the Fewest Coronavirus Restrictions

CA dead last at #51 yet has more deaths per capita than the least restrictive state, Oklahoma. How is that possible? I thought all these restrictions "saved" lives?

Old 02-08-2021, 05:10 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Of course it's in their best interests to pretend to teach from the comfort of their living room and collect full salary. In that sense you are right. The reason this is allowed to persist is that the upper-middle and upper classes get their children tutored or join "learning pods" come what may.
The reason that teachers and administrators aren't able to return to schools is because a few lucky families who can afford it are using learning pods? Why would this have anything to do with what you're claiming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California