Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2020, 10:06 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the poster who said that several of his family members got this? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
Absolutely correct. Only one of us had any symptoms and that would be my son who lost 15 pounds because he didn't want to eat. I just slept a lot. What I am sure of is I didn't get it surfing.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If masks save you how come it's going up?
They don't. If you view this thing so simplistically, no wonder your comments for months.

I'm just glad, for once, that Los Angeles probably kept itself from a huge flare-up around now by not having incubated the virus through indoor dining and gyms. I predict that it won't end near a Stay-at-Home order unless one is ordered statewide. Furthermore, the mild winters in Southern California near the shore will let people associate outdoors instead of inside with shared air and slow transmission that way. I'd order hotels and motels shut down to most out-of-state visitors to keep them from spreading the virus.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:24 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm assuming that Biden will follow the recommendations of scientists including Fauci and he has not advocated lockdowns:
Fauci has been flipping like a fish on lockdowns.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:40 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Fauci has been flipping like a fish on lockdowns.
Fauci came out today and said with the vaccine, the end of the pandemic is in sight. I’d link the Bloomberg article but it’s a paywall, so....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...vaccines%3famp

Old 11-12-2020, 09:02 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,697,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
They don't. If you view this thing so simplistically, no wonder your comments for months.

I'm just glad, for once, that Los Angeles probably kept itself from a huge flare-up around now by not having incubated the virus through indoor dining and gyms. I predict that it won't end near a Stay-at-Home order unless one is ordered statewide. Furthermore, the mild winters in Southern California near the shore will let people associate outdoors instead of inside with shared air and slow transmission that way. I'd order hotels and motels shut down to most out-of-state visitors to keep them from spreading the virus.
This is a correct assessment. Cold weather will keep LA purple, but there won't be the astronomical spike in cases, hospitalizations and deaths that the rest of the country, especially frozen hellhole red-state flyover country, is seeing.

Flip side is that a lot of struggling businesses are going to be culled. But maybe that's a form of economic Darwinism. Better weak businesses die than people? Depends on your priorities.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:36 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
In regard to how the virus can spread so rapidly and fatally, details about that Maine wedding that we all heard or read about late this summer, below. The bride and groom travelled there from California. Be careful during the upcoming holiday season.

"Only 55 people attended the Aug. 7 reception at the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket. But ONE of those guests arrived with a coronavirus infection. Over the next 38 days, the virus spread to 176 other people. Seven of them died.

None of the victims who lost their lives had attended the party."

Super-spreading wedding party demonstrates COVID-19 risk posed by holiday gatherings:
https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...-maine-wedding

Last edited by CA4Now; 11-13-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 11-13-2020, 01:38 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Flip side is that a lot of struggling businesses are going to be culled. But maybe that's a form of economic Darwinism. Better weak businesses die than people? Depends on your priorities.

Trouble is, not all the businesses going under were really weak or struggling until they were forced to ride the shut down rollercoaster. And I disagree that the dichotomy of the economy or death is as real as it was when first advertised back in March. The rules made sense back then because this was all new and nobody knew what else to try. The initial two week lockdown was assumed to be just that, and businesses acted in good faith for the public well being. That program now is losing a lot of factual steam. The lawsuit which was just filed over the color code scheme paints a very clear picture that the mechanics of the system are arbitrary and not based on any actual "science". For instance, what's the point of banning indoor dining only in the most severe tier, if it's indeed a major culprit for spreading the virus? Does that danger dissipate in red tier? Not likely. So why the distinction?

The bottom line is the state is using an approach that barely made sense nine months ago, and now seems like what leeches are to modern medicine. We (actually they) should know better by this point. Instead, California is just swinging wildly to make a difference. And it's not working.

Last edited by joosoon; 11-13-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Fauci came out today and said with the vaccine, the end of the pandemic is in sight. I’d link the Bloomberg article but it’s a paywall, so....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...vaccines%3famp

Vaccine will become the new mask debacle once distribution starts.

If putting a piece of material across our faces in very limited public situations assailed somebody's freedom, I'm positive that being advised to get a chemical injected into our veins will be an even bigger one.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:48 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Governor Gavin Newsom reportedly ignored own COVID guidelines at birthday party

"Newsom and his wife Jennifer Siebel Newsom attended longtime adviser Jason Kinney's 50th birthday party at French Laundry in Yountville (Napa County) on Nov. 6, and there were over 12 guests in attendance."

I wonder if he kept his mask on in between bites. And of course it's at the French Laundry....

Old 11-13-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Governor Gavin Newsom reportedly ignored own COVID guidelines at birthday party

"Newsom and his wife Jennifer Siebel Newsom attended longtime adviser Jason Kinney's 50th birthday party at French Laundry in Yountville (Napa County) on Nov. 6, and there were over 12 guests in attendance."

I wonder if he kept his mask on in between bites. And of course it's at the French Laundry....

But did he get chauffeured there in an electric vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California