Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 01:33 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Who doesn’t seem too concerned? Big Business? Or Politicians? Politicians in office abhor economic collapse (of course politicians not in office and hoping for a return to office thrive on collapse).

Big Business doesn’t sweat much because, well, they’re ruling the roost whatever happens.
Politicians. I think many know what might happen and don't try and stop it, possibly because they are reaping the benefits at the moment.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:41 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Pretty much, yeah. But that hardly supports the musing theory offered by the poster (that he wouldn’t be surprised if government and Big Business were colluding to create this mess ... ostensibly to increase control over people and reap ginormous profits).

There’s a distinct difference between collusion and good old fashioned opportunism.

They said something to the effect of being in bed with big corporations. I didn't read that as literally colluding with them or some sort of direct conspiracy to shaft small business. There's no doubt in my mind that the bigger the entity, the better their chances to survive and actually thrive on the other end. And the bigger entities are in some circumstances being served by government's actions which have eliminated competition.

It's hard to dispute that 'government' is picking winners and losers right now more than usual.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:02 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
They said something to the effect of being in bed with big corporations. I didn't read that as literally colluding with them or some sort of direct conspiracy to shaft small business. There's no doubt in my mind that the bigger the entity, the better their chances to survive and actually thrive on the other end. And the bigger entities are in some circumstances being served by government's actions which have eliminated competition.

It's hard to dispute that 'government' is picking winners and losers right now more than usual.
See who contributes to who. That will help see the issue.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:31 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Like I've already told you, the fact that you don't have proof that they are is proof they are not. You claim to be all about the science, data, facts, or whatever yet have yet to present a single shred of any here.
Plenty of info posted on the two restaurant threads here (one closed), to which you've been directed, but chose to ignore.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:39 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Judging by the increased amount of defiance this time around I'd say you're wrong. A lot of people don't blindly trust govt as much as you and for good reason.
Just because tons of people have pandemic fatigue and wish the good old days were back doesn't prove that I'm wrong.

And actually, most of those who are defying the orders ARE blindly trusting the government, just the other side. They're listening to what Trump and others are saying because its what they want to hear. They hear its not a big deal, we shouldn't live our lives in fear, blah, blah, blah. They latch onto deep state conspiracies and associate anything around mask wearing, stay at home orders, etc. as government control.

Sorry, but I actually follow the science and trust medical experts over some *******'s who make up their own BS. Pretty funny that Trump does much better with non college educated people vs those that have a formal education. Not saying that college is the be all end all, but it does say a lot about those who trust science and real data vs those who latch onto conspiracy theories and fake news to make their case. There's a reason why every one of Trump's lawsuits have been thrown out. There's a strong correlation between these instances and those that don't believe in the actions we need to do to control COVID.

And if you think you're so much smarter than me and the medical experts, why don't you go run for office instead of spewing your nonsense on CD? Do you also believe that Trump was robbed of the election, the vaccine is a Bill Gates conspiracy, the Earth is flat and global warming doesn't exist? Seems that you are holier than thou because you question authority. You're such a big shot, aren't you?

And to answer your question for the millionth time, yes I've provided you with data. You just choose to ignore it because it doesn't hit the bar for where YOU feel a shutdown is warranted. I think that says more about you and your lack of empathy for the health of others in the community than it does about me.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Plenty of info posted on the two restaurant threads here (one closed), to which you've been directed, but chose to ignore.
I'm referring to outdoor dining, nothing in that recent thread showed evidence how they contribute to spread. I didn't ignore it, I read but wasn't really sure why you even linked it.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I'm referring to outdoor dining, nothing in that recent thread showed evidence how they contribute to spread. I didn't ignore it, I read but wasn't really sure why you even linked it.
Don't have time to look up the links to that data. You can scroll through those threads about outdoor dining; there are two in the L.A. subforum, one in the Current Events forum, and one in Health and Wellness.)

Old 12-12-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Just because tons of people have pandemic fatigue and wish the good old days were back doesn't prove that I'm wrong.

And actually, most of those who are defying the orders ARE blindly trusting the government, just the other side. They're listening to what Trump and others are saying because its what they want to hear. They hear its not a big deal, we shouldn't live our lives in fear, blah, blah, blah. They latch onto deep state conspiracies and associate anything around mask wearing, stay at home orders, etc. as government control.

Sorry, but I actually follow the science and trust medical experts over some *******'s who make up their own BS. Pretty funny that Trump does much better with non college educated people vs those that have a formal education. Not saying that college is the be all end all, but it does say a lot about those who trust science and real data vs those who latch onto conspiracy theories and fake news to make their case. There's a reason why every one of Trump's lawsuits have been thrown out. There's a strong correlation between these instances and those that don't believe in the actions we need to do to control COVID.

And if you think you're so much smarter than me and the medical experts, why don't you go run for office instead of spewing your nonsense on CD? Do you also believe that Trump was robbed of the election, the vaccine is a Bill Gates conspiracy, the Earth is flat and global warming doesn't exist? Seems that you are holier than thou because you question authority. You're such a big shot, aren't you?

And to answer your question for the millionth time, yes I've provided you with data. You just choose to ignore it because it doesn't hit the bar for where YOU feel a shutdown is warranted. I think that says more about you and your lack of empathy for the health of others in the community than it does about me.
No they have specifically asked for empirical evidence numerous times and that is what they are asking for in recent lawsuits. And there you go again with your Trump strawman argument. A lot of these people are hardly Trump supporters.

AGAIN you follow the experts you agree with and even then not even you don't follow everything they say or recommend. The nation's top expert believes kids should be in school here based on his stated metrics but you don't agree with that. Not all experts agree this is the right move. Not all experts have the same opinion how to handle this. So stop pretending and trying to hide behind this "I follow the science and experts" BS because you clearly don't. But here you go again trying to denigrate people who think differently that you. I guess that's your go to when you can't actually come up with evidence or a consistent argument. FYI we went to the same college.

Calm down, different view points shouldn't upset you so much. I've never said anything to suggest I believe any of that so not sure why you're trying to lump me in with those views. But here we go again with apparently anyone who presents a different viewpoint online should run for office. Why didn't you run against Trump? I'm sure the irony of the "holier than thou" comment after two paragraphs of denigrating and stereotyping people with different views is completely lost on you. You might want to reread what you just said and think about that "holier than thou" comment again.

No you haven't, all you've said is some generality about "close contact increases transmission". No empirical evidence outdoor dining, salons, etc.. contribute to spread. Perhaps I missed them, I'm pretty sure I didn't, but please present them again. And again I could say the same thing about your lack of empathy towards people's livelihoods and survival is pretty abhorrent. That Danville privilege is showing.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Don't have time to look up the links to that data. You can scroll through those threads about outdoor dining; there are two in the L.A. subforum, one in the Current Events forum, and one in Health and Wellness.)
I already did, what was your point with that? That some restaurants aren't following guidelines for outdoor dining?

Old 12-12-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I already did, what was your point with that? That some restaurants aren't following guidelines for outdoor dining?
You said that you wanted evidence of how outdoor dining contributed to virus spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California