Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 09:11 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Yes I heard on the radio that case is being heard tomorrow. It’ll be real interesting to see what real evidence they submit and what the judge will rule.

Court said the ban is arbitrary.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:01 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
This map shows where hospitals are filling up. Hover your mouse over the affected county and it will show the percentage numbers. There are a few counties with no data reported but the majority of them do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...s-yours#lookup

Old 12-09-2020, 11:21 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
"Even though relatively few teens and middle-schoolers have been reported as contracting COVID-19, and even fewer youngsters have needed hospitalization, their age group is linked to high rates of transmission to others, experts have said."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-...100037919.html

Have most of the schools in California announced early shut-down dates for this semester?

Old 12-09-2020, 11:27 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00lucky00 View Post
had to throw in trumper. tell him to take the trump vaccine
Look, it all starts from the top. Too many people take their cues from him and that's why we have so many folks that refuse to wear a mask, socially distance or do anything for the common good of society. I'm not saying this is the only thing that has caused COVID spread, but he could've put national health/safety above his personal politics for one second here. History will not look fondly back at his term in office.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:37 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This map shows where hospitals are filling up. Hover your mouse over the affected county and it will show the percentage numbers. There are a few counties with no data reported but the majority of them do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...s-yours#lookup
So hospitals are filling up but doesn't really seem to be because of COVID patients in my area at least (Contra Costa County).

Old 12-09-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So hospitals are filling up but doesn't really seem to be because of COVID patients in my area at least (Contra Costa County).
I don't know, sav. The map relates to those with Covid so I would assume the numbers are related to that and not other illnesses. But who knows ... all we have is information provided to us.

Side note: Yesterday I received one of those alerts on my phone. Dang thing started beeping and whistling like it does with Amber Alerts. Turned out to be an urgent message that Covid was sweeping across my county at an alarming rate. I half expected to look out my window and see people dropping in the street. If there was a way to create an illuminating vapor we could spray to see exactly where the virus is hiding. Now THAT would be something.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:45 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
A filled ICU bed is a filled ICU bed. It doesn't really matter what a patient is being treated for in it. What I'd be interested in seeing is what that capacity looks like during a normal, non-covid year. Are we approaching levels that are double what they normally are for this time of year? or is it on par with the norm? Guessing here, I assume a lot of people are normally admitted to critical care units for pneumonia and flu during the winter months up to the height of the season. It would make sense to want to avoid overloading that with covid cases too but the methodology (especially lumping hospitals into these regions) looks a bit dubious.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I checked the map where a lot of my family live and the rates except, in isolated areas of a State, are not high. This includes CA FL, TX, TN, and NC. I haven't checked the other States I have relatives living in.

The big problem seems to be healthcare workers, as many have been hit with the virus while helping others with it. A good friend is a nurse and worked with the Covid area of the hospital, but fortunately did not get it.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
A filled ICU bed is a filled ICU bed. It doesn't really matter what a patient is being treated for in it. What I'd be interested in seeing is what that capacity looks like during a normal, non-covid year. Are we approaching levels that are double what they normally are for this time of year? or is it on par with the norm? Guessing here, I assume a lot of people are normally admitted to critical care units for pneumonia and flu during the winter months up to the height of the season. It would make sense to want to avoid overloading that with covid cases too but the methodology (especially lumping hospitals into these regions) looks a bit dubious.
Good question, joosoon. Can't speak for others but, for me, I never pay attention to how full our local hospital is ... ever. But, since we have a highly contagious and serious virus crossing the nation, that data become a focus for a lot of people. Frankly, I still don't pay much attention to it for two reasons. #1 - I'm not in the hospital and #2 - I don't know anyone who's in the hospital. If that makes me seem like I'm lacking compassion, oh well. I'm like most people here, trying to stay healthy and make it through this mess.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I tried briefly searching for this info a few days ago, couldn't find info on CA or local areas. But in Minneapolis for example hospitals/ICU is normally at 90% capacity this year.

My county's (Contra Costa) COVID dashboard has basically shown ICU capacity continuously fluctuating between 70-80% since July 1st. It didn't really seem to make a difference how many were hospitalized for COVID.

I get not wanting to overwhelm hospitals but they make it seem like 85% ICU capacity is abnormal when it appears to be about normal this time of year.

Last edited by sav858; 12-09-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California