Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 07:35 PM

629 posts, read 619,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
Went out today and ate out. IF I get it, I get it. I have had the flu, bad colds, etc. If it is my time then it is my time.

As has been rehashed, it’s really not you getting it that is the issue. No one gives a **** if you get sick, I know I don’t. It’s you getting it, then spreading it on and on and on. People who get sick (and often asymptomatically) who would not have if the first exposure hadn’t put himself into that scenario to begin with. The first contraction isn’t the concern. It’s the exponential increase that is perpetuated from each incidence of exposure.

Use the jackass lawyer in New York as an example.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:38 PM

456 posts, read 240,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
As has been rehashed, it’s really not you getting it that is the issue. No one gives a **** if you get sick, I know I don’t. It’s you getting it, then spreading it on and on and on. People who get sick (and often asymptomatically) who would not have if the first exposure hadn’t put himself into that scenario to begin with. The first contraction isn’t the concern. It’s the exponential increase that is perpetuated from each incidence of exposure.

It is what it is.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
It is what it is.
But it doesn’t have to be. That’s the whole damn point.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
With all the new cases now in the US, the fatality rate likely will continue to decline and is 1.7% based on current cases.
The below stats from the 2009 H1N1 virus are nothing to "sneeze" at. There were no shutdowns, other than some school districts that had swine flu cases since younger kids were more susceptible to it.

Early estimates on the fatality rate for H1N1 were much higher than the roughly 0.01 to 0.03 percent it turned out to be. Still, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that H1N1 killed 12,469 people in the United States during that first-year period from 2009 to 2010, infected 60.8 million cases and caused 274,304 hospitalizations.

Right now, there's only 198,255 Covid19 cases and 7,976 deaths worldwide. Sure, hope these shutdowns are worth potentially causing a severe recession. That's all I got to say.

Good point and I would be willing to bet the fatality rate is much less as I guarantee there are people that have it or had it that don't (didn't) even know it. Saw the interview with Donovan Mitchell (NBA) who said he had no symptoms and could play professional games tomorrow I he had to.

Quote:
But it doesn’t have to be. That’s the whole damn point.
Sorry but this is no more than the glorified flu to me. If I found out I had the flu I would stay away from people and self quarantine but I don't live my life scared and I never will. I work in medicine currently and work on people (touching their blood , tissue, and fluids) with HIV, Hepatitis, etc. and I take precautions but I don't go through it scared.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Welp, I got the herp. Gotta get back out there. Who gives a **** about who I give it to, am I right? It is what it is.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Good point and I would be willing to bet the fatality rate is much less as I guarantee there are people that have it or had it that don't (didn't) even know it. Saw the interview with Donovan Mitchell (NBA) who said he had no symptoms and could play professional games tomorrow I he had to.

Sorry but this is no more than the glorified flu to me. If I found out I had the flu I would stay away from people and self quarantine but I don't live my life scared and I never will.
To you perhaps. Not to those who are more susceptible, who are knowingly and willingly put into harms way. But who cares about them, right? You’ll be fine, so **** em.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
To you perhaps. Not to those who are more susceptible, who are knowingly and willingly put into harms way. But who cares about them, right? You’ll be fine, so **** em.
If they decide they don't want to leave their house for the rest of their lives it certainly is their right, but sorry it is what it is. And no not to me. IMO to over 99% of people. Just as the Flu is to over 99% of the people. Mortality rate is around 2% (now) to people they have tested and known to have it for sure. I guarantee there is a large number that have it and don't know it so that means this thing is likely as deadly as the Flu or close to it.

80,000 people died of the Flu last winter. Likely those are 80,000 people who could have lived if everyone self quarantined and continued to do so for the rest of their lives.

Funny but I can't find a post of you telling everyone to self quarantine to save lives. Why didn't you post about that?

Old 03-17-2020, 07:45 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Welp, I got the herp. Gotta get back out there. Who gives a **** about who I give it to, am I right? It is what it is.
The herp? That doesn’t sound good.

I’m going to keep going out. I’m not shutting myself in. However, if I feel sick or have symptoms, I’ll stay home. That’s common courtesy. It’s out of hand when people freak out if I cough because I swallowed wrong.

People who are more susceptible should stay away from crowds, but don’t expect everyone to stay home so they don’t get anything. If someone is sick, that’s a different story.

I have a coworker that sneezes constantly. He always has. He did it today. No big deal.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:

Well now see it’s possible for us to agree on some things.

I haven’t been any kind of sick for something over at least 25 years. Not even a sniffles. Don’t know why my immune system is so functional ... but my dear mother was never sick a day in her 99 years, maybe some lucky genetic gift?

Regardless, I am not going to be cavalier about it all and will stay mostly isolated to insure as much as possible that I don’t transfer anything to others. Wish I could transfer my immunities instead.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You can't compare H1N1 to covid19. It's completely different virus. If you got sick with H1N1 you had much higher chances of dying even if you were young. That is not case with Covid19.
The effects of these viruses wasn't the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California