Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 10:52 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

A little good news is in order ...

Of the all the cases worldwide 76,000 have fully recovered & are now immune from it. Of the 81,000 worldwide that currently have it, 93% have just mild symptoms.

This comes from someone I know who follows this thing like a bloodhound. I am reaching a point where all the bad news is starting to affect my psyche and I'm not usually a negative person but this is starting to get to me. I have a call into the Federal District Court to find out if they still want me to appear for jury duty at the end of the month. I didn't mind serving but now I don't want to be anywhere near people. Yes, it's definitely starting to affect me.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow, nita. You'd think that these people would change their habits now. I read that since the air on cruise ship cabins is recirculated constantly, passengers are highly susceptible to all these viruses. (It also seems as if air travel would be even more dangerous now.)

This article is from the novirus in 2014: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...science-virus/
I know. That is exactly how I feel. If people have brains they certainly know about the norovirus. We were on one cruise where it had been a huge problem the sailing before and they still did have a few who came down with it on our cruise. I still saw women not washing their hands. I also saw 2 women go through the outside burger and hot dog buffet at lunch. One took her finger and got the rest of the salad off the spoon and put the spoon back. The next lady picked up a couple of tomatoes, decided they didn't look good and put them back. I am old and can have a big mouth and I used it. I said, to my hubby, so everyone could hear: did you see those two ladies put food back? of course the one turned around and said Oh I didn't do anything wrong, I just wanted to get the salad off the spoon. The other gal didn't comment. BTW, they were friends traveling together. I am, as I have said before not a germaphobic by any stretch of the imagination, but I do care about people's health including my own.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

Of the all the cases worldwide 76,000 have fully recovered & are now immune from it. Of the 81,000 worldwide that currently have it, 93% have just mild symptoms.

This comes from someone I know who follows this thing like a bloodhound. I am reaching a point where all the bad news is starting to affect my psyche and I'm not usually a negative person but this is starting to get to me. I have a call into the Federal District Court to find out if they still want me to appear for jury duty at the end of the month. I didn't mind serving but now I don't want to be anywhere near people. Yes, it's definitely starting to affect me.
It is more than a little good news, it is very good news. I have been hearing for a few weeks it is about over in China and it will run its course here as well. Let's hope this only lasts in America a few more weeks or so. No, I do not say it will end in a few weeks but will peak.

As for getting to you, it is affecting all of us in some way I think. I do not blame you for not wanting to serve right.

We are staying close to home as much as possible We are having our daughter and her husband and her best friend and her husband over for drinks and appetizers tonight and tomorrow I am having a bridge group over . Sunday we went to church, and will next Sunday but our monthly bridge day at church was cancelled
This is one of the worst nationwide emergencies of this nature to hit our county as far back as I can remember and that is many decades.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:05 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:

Some of us have felt that way the better part of our entire lives of course

Old 03-17-2020, 11:36 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:

What are you doing posting good news?? It’s all supposed to be doom and gloom with everyone dying off leaving the country an empty wasteland (no comment Mutt).

All sarcasm aside, thanks for posting this. Grocery stores around me are returning to normal (mostly) and hopefully this thing will be done soon.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:05 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:

You will likely be fine. As you stated, even the majority of people who do become infected only show mild symptoms.

*Most of the concern seems to be over the fact that our health care system is not equipped to handle any sudden and large influx of individuals needing intensive care.

Also, doctors are complaining about a lack of national guidance on patients presenting with possible symptoms. Some have joined social media groups to have their questions answered.

*…. and loss of income to people who can't work due to businesses sheltering.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-17-2020 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Of the all the cases worldwide 76,000 have fully recovered & are now immune from it.
Unfortunately, now there's concern that one may not develop an immunity to this virus.

You may think that the one “positive” of testing positive for the COVID-19 causing coronavirus (SARS-CoV2) and surviving would be that you won’t get infected by that virus again. At least not during this pandemic. Ah, but is this assumption really true? Will you indeed be immune to the SARS-CoV2 after you’ve recovered from a COVID-19 infection? Some reports out of Japan and China seem to suggest otherwise.

Does this case actually prove that re-infection with the virus is possible? Or was this just a mistake in the testing? Or did the person have a particularly weak immune system so that she couldn’t generate immunity? After all, one case can be an accident, an aberration, an anomaly, an aardvark in a sea of anemone.

Well, oops something like this happened again, according to a more recent NHK-World Japan report...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#6df470835c0f

Quote:
I have a call into the Federal District Court to find out if they still want me to appear for jury duty at the end of the month.
You're probably in luck there! Many superior courts here have suspended all non-emergency services until after April 3.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Update on Coronavirus cases in California

https://twitter.com/CAPublicHealth/s...60213110702080

Old 03-17-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
What are you doing posting good news?? It’s all supposed to be doom and gloom with everyone dying off leaving the country an empty wasteland (no comment Mutt).

All sarcasm aside, thanks for posting this. Grocery stores around me are returning to normal (mostly) and hopefully this thing will be done soon.
We haven't gone to the store since Sat but will do our Aldi's shopping on Friday when we go to our doctors for our check ups.

As for no good news, of course we are not supposed to spread it around. Some people may have to admit they were wrong about how long this tragedy will last.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:30 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're probably in luck there! Many superior courts here have suspended all non-emergency services until after April 3.
Sorry to all. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was the only one who this was impacting, mentally. I know all of you are concerned, too, and I'm hoping everyone will remain healthy. This form of communication often lacks empathy or compassion and understanding. And, I'm guilty of not choosing my words more carefully but please, don't think that I was thinking only of myself. That's not how I conduct myself irl. Thanks for commenting.

And CA4Now, in the recent hour, I did receive a call back from the federal court jury administrator's office. The clerk said that after she checked my juror number, she immediately removed me from the list, due to my age. She called to reassure me of that. I told her that I would be happy to serve at a later time, though. So, all is well there. As for now, I'm shutting off the computer and network news (no more news conferences for me for a while). I have two items in my sewing basket that I want to work on so that's what I'm going to do. I hope everyone has a great day ... and don't forget to wash your hands. j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California