Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 05:47 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Australia and New Zealand delayed it because they were able to quarantine ships and never had a big outbreak before March 2020. Conversely, Covid had spread to the US into every state and there were estimated to be over 100k active infections by the first stay at home orders in March which were timed similarly to Australia. The US quite simply is the center of international business on the planet. Atlanta Airport gets more passengers in a month than both those countries combined annually.

In addition, those countries are isolated island nations. The US due to NAFTA receives massive amount of ground shipping from South of the the border. And then there's the fact you can walk across without issue on half of it. In some cases you're even given free bus rides to wherever after.

New Zealand and Australia have also had a higher per capita death rate for most of the last 6 months so it looks like they mostly just delayed their wave.
Plus, every thought their tree trimmer and lawn mowing service was "essential" so those people never skipped a beat. In the last two years we have no idea who came across illegally either. We had something like a couple millions attempts thwarted but how many did we not catch. Oh, and people simply going down to Mexico to party because we were locked down here.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:06 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
This stupid covid fear-mongering needs to end. It screwed my one son is sophomore year in college, where he just couldn't take the isolation and quit going to online zoom, so his 3.8 GPA is for nothing because he never went back after that. Sure, sure, everyone says adapt, but really people, think back to college years and how many of us would have been, what, I have to sit in an apartment all day and not see people. Our government created this, and I hold them all responsible for what has occurred. Covid is nothing to most and almost all healthy people. Honestly, don't care about the unhealthy at this point. Get vaccines and be done with this.
Very eloquent! You said it all. Thanks

Old 06-02-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I felt so bad for anyone in their senior year of HS or any in college. There is no way I could have done any of this in my 20’s. And now many have gone overboard trying to return to normal and who can blame them. All these virus “experts” are anything but when it comes to human behavior.

That’s awful about your son. This crap has screwed up so many kid’s futures.
My son got wrecked. He was valedictorian too. Then spent his first year of college locked in the house. Some experience. My mom lost two years of her life locked alone in her condo and she doesn't have many left.

These lockdowns did nothing.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Oh please, teachers saying they have or have experienced long Covid is not a surprise based on my wife's school. They're the most dramatic, over-exaggerated, not wanting to even go back to in-person learning. About 80% of the teachers in her elementary only did the minimum 30 minutes or so of online learning for almost a whole year. Some teachers just stay out for weeks because they tested positive for Covid.

Here's a couple anecdotal examples. One teacher is undergoing chemo, caught covid and is now fine. Another has caught covid three times and hasn't experience Long Covid. A few other teachers like to take 2-3 days off each to get the 1st vaccine, the 2nd, and now some have got two boosters and used a couple days sick time for each. So, yeah teachers are going to game the system, no surprise at all there.

My father was a teacher, and I saw him do it throughout my older childhood. He would even say, got to use those sick days since they are given to you. Probably, why I have no respect for government workers, even though I've been one for almost 2 years.

My wife just caught it last week, and spent the 7 days out of school. Everyone in her school wears masks. If I caught it from her, I had no symptoms. I'm 56 and healthy, she's 53, so it's all over for both of us.

You're not going to change the attitude of teachers. 80% of them will take time off if they're able to do it regardless if they are experiencing long Covid or not.
"I'm 56 and healthy, she's 53, so it's all over for both of us."

What makes you so sure no Long-Covid, and what excuse for you not taking a test? Are you going to insist that there's now long-term natural immunity? From Omicron, it fades within months.

Anyway, I could give anecdotes about teachers not caring enough about their work, but just like yours, that has no real bearing on whether they get Long-Covid so bad it makes it hard to work. No sick leave is so generous that they can take months off and get paid, unless they then burn vacation time or maybe there's medical documentation and a school district that makes exceptions for valued employees, probably with union involvement. Any teachers who try to milk sick leave for COVID-related reasons risk getting ill so often that they don't have sick leave left except for the bare minimum I think California still mandates in some workplaces.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:14 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Alameda County issued a new mask mandate in most indoor public settings, effective Friday (6/3/22), as coronavirus cases climb.

The county, home to Oakland, is the San Francisco Bay Area’s second-most populous. Alameda County’s move represents the first time a California county has issued a mask mandate since the winter Omicron surge faded.

“Rising COVID cases in Alameda County are now leading to more people being hospitalized, and today’s action reflects the seriousness of the moment,” Dr. Nicholas Moss, Alameda County’s health officer, said in a statement.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-mask-mandate

https://abc7news.com/alameda-county-...cron/11919783/

Old 06-02-2022, 08:18 PM

382 posts, read 179,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I felt so bad for anyone in their senior year of HS or any in college. There is no way I could have done any of this in my 20’s. And now many have gone overboard trying to return to normal and who can blame them. All these virus “experts” are anything but when it comes to human behavior.

That’s awful about your son. This crap has screwed up so many kid’s futures.
Thanks, SAV, appreciate that. They're all worthless. You're going to love this. Not sure if you're in Alameda County, but tomorrow will be fun for me when I walk into Trader Joe's with no mask. You may see me on the news. LOL.

COVID-19: Alameda County to require masks in indoor settings again, starting Friday

https://www.mercurynews.com/?returnU...erState%3Dtrue

Old 06-02-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"I'm 56 and healthy, she's 53, so it's all over for both of us."

What makes you so sure no Long-Covid, and what excuse for you not taking a test? Are you going to insist that there's now long-term natural immunity? From Omicron, it fades within months.

Anyway, I could give anecdotes about teachers not caring enough about their work, but just like yours, that has no real bearing on whether they get Long-Covid so bad it makes it hard to work. No sick leave is so generous that they can take months off and get paid, unless they then burn vacation time or maybe there's medical documentation and a school district that makes exceptions for valued employees, probably with union involvement. Any teachers who try to milk sick leave for COVID-related reasons risk getting ill so often that they don't have sick leave left except for the bare minimum I think California still mandates in some workplaces.
The point is that most teachers are some of the laziest workers according to my wife. Why would I take a test if I have no symptoms. Other than seeing her and talking to her, we stayed on different levels with minimal exposure to each other. Also, didn't go anywhere over the long weekend and only saw one person where we walked outside, and I informed him, so instead of a beer inside we walked. Simple to do. I know that doesn't fit your narrative about the few of us that push back, but it's the reality. Not caring about Covid is different than maybe having Covid and letting the people you may see understand the risk. Comprenez-vous?

Old 06-02-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My son got wrecked. He was valedictorian too. Then spent his first year of college locked in the house. Some experience. My mom lost two years of her life locked alone in her condo and she doesn't have many left.

These lockdowns did nothing.
Totally sucks ATP. We're not the only ones. Almost everyone I bring this up to has had the same experience with their kids. For people to deny it, is quite shocking.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:40 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Thanks, SAV, appreciate that. They're all worthless. You're going to love this. Not sure if you're in Alameda County, but tomorrow will be fun for me when I walk into Trader Joe's with no mask. You may see me on the news. LOL.

COVID-19: Alameda County to require masks in indoor settings again, starting Friday

https://www.mercurynews.com/?returnU...erState%3Dtrue
So far all the surrounding counties refused to join. This actually may be a retaliation against Tesla ordering all their employees back.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Alameda County issued a new mask mandate in most indoor public settings, effective Friday (6/3/22), as coronavirus cases climb.

The county, home to Oakland, is the San Francisco Bay Area’s second-most populous. Alameda County’s move represents the first time a California county has issued a mask mandate since the winter Omicron surge faded.

“Rising COVID cases in Alameda County are now leading to more people being hospitalized, and today’s action reflects the seriousness of the moment,” Dr. Nicholas Moss, Alameda County’s health officer, said in a statement.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-mask-mandate

https://abc7news.com/alameda-county-...cron/11919783/
Of course they did, they were first in last out for the lunacy. Somehow this is not surprising. What's in the water up there?

Yet, all the mask wearers are still getting covid at the same rate as those that don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California