Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 07:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fauci-a...855180?mod=mhp

Good meta analysis about the effects of lockdowns and masks.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:34 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fauci-a...855180?mod=mhp

Good meta analysis about the effects of lockdowns and masks.
What exactly did this moron Fauci think we could have done more. We already closed everything in the US, even the forests and oceans. We all hid from each other at home. Even outside we treated each other like lepers. They forced us into food lines at Costco and Walmart. This guy should be doing time. We did EVERYTHING they said and it was all a farce. Not saying it was a lie, just that they were clueless and have learned nothing from previous viruses. Here we go again with the monkey pox scare.

The media is whipping it up again just for ratings. And people wonder why they call Gavin "Newsolini" because he used this for "emergency powers" while fine dining and attending ball games with these same clowns. We paid for the whole train wreck and yet, he's still in power.

Anyway, as soon as he's done trying to be the center of attention we'll pay him three hundred grand a year for his govt pension.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:40 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
I cannot access the entire editorial. I emphasize editorial - it's opinion, obviously slanted. But I suspect the WHO rules it's talking about concern travel and include data-sharing, testing, and vaccine requirements, which obviously are necessary to keep outbreaks from spreading around the world. Fauci is right more could have been done. I don't think he's ever articulated what, but travel into the country could have been restricted more and large private parties could have consistently been targeted. I said a few months in that those behaviors were dooming Los Angeles.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:18 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
I can see the impact covid has had on Lake Tahoe! You can only find one place between 9:00pm and 7:00am, two weeks ago they just started valet parking! This 24 hour town, isn't quite back yet.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:11 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What exactly did this moron Fauci think we could have done more. We already closed everything in the US, even the forests and oceans. We all hid from each other at home. Even outside we treated each other like lepers. They forced us into food lines at Costco and Walmart. This guy should be doing time. We did EVERYTHING they said and it was all a farce. Not saying it was a lie, just that they were clueless and have learned nothing from previous viruses. Here we go again with the monkey pox scare.

The media is whipping it up again just for ratings. And people wonder why they call Gavin "Newsolini" because he used this for "emergency powers" while fine dining and attending ball games with these same clowns. We paid for the whole train wreck and yet, he's still in power.

Anyway, as soon as he's done trying to be the center of attention we'll pay him three hundred grand a year for his govt pension.
Shutdowns, masking, social distancing, and the quick rollout of vaccines saved about 2 million lives.

Based on the NYC numbers and IFR, the initial virus should have ripped through society, peaking in about three months and killing about ~3 million Americans before it tailed off.

All of our countermeasures had a very significant impact in stopping the initial variant and pressuring it to evolve into the low-grade disease it is today. Vaccines were a huge factor, but we had to buy time for them to be created and deployed.

Now, was it worth it to save 3 million (mostly elderly and infirm) and prevent another ?? million (mostly overweight/obese) from developing chronic health problems? Even as a healthy person who had little to fear from the virus (0.1% chance of death, maybe 2-3% chance of long covid, myself) I'd say yes, but YMMV.

Overall, I'd give the US response to the virus an "B". The Chinese cutoff was either lucky or smart, but we should have been WAY faster cutting off flights from Europe (and the rest of the world) when it was obvious Italy was the next incoming vector.

Closing outdoor spaces was looney-toons overreaction after the horse had already left the barn.

Telling people not to mask up--basically the CDC was lying to people to try to manipulate them into not hording all the PPE--was probably one of the biggest HC blunders since bloodletting.

Pretty much every restriction at this point is stupid and pointless. The virus is endemic and mostly harmless. People should be free to make their own (stupid) health care decisions.

I saw another chicken-little article about how there is only money for 1/2 of the needed Omicron-specific booster doses for the fall. My first thought was "that's plenty, since only 20% of Americans will bother getting boosted as four out of five people are idiots."

Old 08-19-2022, 10:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Shutdowns, masking, social distancing, and the quick rollout of vaccines saved about 2 million lives.

Based on the NYC numbers and IFR, the initial virus should have ripped through society, peaking in about three months and killing about ~3 million Americans before it tailed off.

All of our countermeasures had a very significant impact in stopping the initial variant and pressuring it to evolve into the low-grade disease it is today. Vaccines were a huge factor, but we had to buy time for them to be created and deployed.
The IFR was vastly overstated from the beginning and was nowhere near 1% like Imperial College of London predicted. Actual ranges deduced were ~0.3% from the Stanford Study, 0.4% from the European antibody study, and 0.6% from the WHO. Also, few legitimate sources would argue lockdowns saved millions of lives. A study last year actually said the opposite. The CDC was later busted when it was found that they were hiding that about 40% of excess deaths during the lockdowns were likely tied to the lockdowns themselves but not from Covid.

Counterpoint why is Sweden in the bottom 1/4 th of per capita mortality in Europe and why does Florida gave significantly fewer lockdown deaths than CA? Schools were open in Florida by August 2020 and mask wearing was scant in many/most places. Using your math their excess deaths should be 500%+ higher than other states that locked down yet their covid numbers are near the median.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:15 AM

382 posts, read 179,302 times
Quote:
The IFR was vastly overstated from the beginning and was nowhere near 1% like Imperial College of London predicted. Actual ranges deduced were ~0.3% from the Stanford Study, 0.4% from the European antibody study, and 0.6% from the WHO. Also, few legitimate sources would argue lockdowns saved millions of lives. A study last year actually said the opposite. The CDC was later busted when it was found that they were hiding that about 40% of excess deaths during the lockdowns were likely tied to the lockdowns themselves but not from Covid.

Counterpoint why is Sweden in the bottom 1/4 th of per capita mortality in Europe and why does Florida gave significantly fewer lockdown deaths than CA? Schools were open in Florida by August 2020 and mask wearing was scant in many/most places. Using your math their excess deaths should be 500%+ higher than other states that locked down yet their covid numbers are near the median.
I'll be waiting for the typical ones to say, but, but, but Sweden is not densely populated, FL isn't either. Some will just never go with actual numbers. That's why I still see morons in Berkeley walking alone outside with a mask. Complete clown show.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:23 AM

382 posts, read 179,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's like a cult and they want to cling to these outdated beliefs yet they convince themselves they still "follow the science".

Had to go around a Prius driver going 60 in the fast lane driving alone and wearing a mask yesterday. Asian of course. I feel like that's the Bay Area in a nutshell right there.

I'm trying to convince my wife to at least consider moving to Florida. She's fine with moving back down to San Diego but some of the stuff coming out of there reminds me of the Bay Area a bit too much; SD Unified requiring masks and some of the other woke BS. I guess I could live in North County but I like central more so. Hopefully a lot of the new Bay Area transplants don't bring their Bay Area mentality with them and ruin the place.
It's a complete cult, yet the fake MSM, like to say Republicans are a danger to democracy. That Prius driver sums up the BA well. See it all around me, people walking outside alone and driving cars all alone with a mask on. Laughing my a-- off. I never thought I'd live in the South or FL, but the it's shocking how easier it has been to live there compared to Ca, especially the Bay Area and LA. It's really like Covid only existed for 2 months at the most there.

SD is way better, but you're right there's still some BS going on down there. My friends in Encinitas say all the BA people moving there are ruining the place. They got a woke superintendent from Santa Rosa, the school board is woke, and just ruining the schools. All of our and our friends' kids are out of school, but at this point in my life I don't want to live around these types, so I only hope it stays somewhat sane.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:01 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
It was 0.63% in NYC by July, so a million excess deaths is more accurate than 3 million.

Statements like "the CDC was busted" sounds like you're getting your talking points from stormfront or some other sector of the lunatic fringe.

Wanna share an estimate of excess deaths due to lockdowns? I see 3K excess suicide deaths in 2020, which is more than 2 orders of magnitude less than the potential excess covid deaths.

Quote:
Counterpoint why is Sweden in the bottom 1/4 th of per capita mortality in Europe
That's nonsense. They're 30th out of 47, pretty much in the lower-middle--more deaths than Germany, fewer than France. Early on, it seemed like Sweden was beating the pandemic odds with their open approach, but it turns out they were just more isolated and less densely populated. They were the North Dakota of Europe. Except healthier and with better social systems and health care.

I was a big advocate of Sweden early on because they never closed schools--which was another misstep that most of the world took in knee-jerk reaction. The initial school closures might have been okay when we didn't know much, but continuing to keep schools closed flew in the face of clear evidence (from Sweden and other countries) that children were far less likely to transmit the virus than adults, and that they were at almost no risk of serious illness. I remember that being one of the miracles of COVID-19, that there was practically nothing to worry about for young children for Alpha-through-Delta variants.

Quote:
and why does Florida gave significantly fewer lockdown deaths than CA? Schools were open in Florida by August 2020 and mask wearing was scant in many/most places. Using your math their excess deaths should be 500%+ higher than other states that locked down yet their covid numbers are near the median.
Haha, what a wacky statement. WTF is a "lockdown death" one of those 3000 extra suicides? Florida is 15th/50 for COVID deaths while CA is 40/50. We beat the pants off those gator-humping morons in terms of keeping people safe against the virus. Most of that was due to vaccination uptake and not due to lockdowns. Once vaccines were widely available, all lockdowns became moot. Masking was still a good idea, but mandates (for masks and vaxxes) were never long-term sustainable.

Quote:
You usually at least make a little sense. Not this time. Sure, you're smarter than all of us. Guess, according to you, I'm an idiot. Would rather be that than get a 3rd, 4th, 5th shot. Sorry pal, not ever getting a booster. My 82 year old non-boosted mother got covid, and was nauseous for a day and back to exercising the next day, so feel free to get many boosters, smart one.
If you (and everyone else who hews either left or right) hates every other statement I make, then I'm doing my job correctly.

Do you know anyone who doesn't think they're smarter than everybody else, in at least some way? 4/5 people are idiots. Jury is out on me. Nobody can judge their own intelligence, because you're not an impartial judge of you.

I really don't care what you do with your own health. Actually, I applaud your decision, because as long as 50% of Americans make the same one, there will be enough free omicron-specific vax for me.

I've made this prediction before, and now the news is picking it up, but just an FYI; this fall's shot is likely the last freebie. Someone other than the Nanny State is going to have to pay for any more. It'll probably be "insurance", but you know that stuff rolls downhill and means we will all pay 10X the cost of the shots in higher premiums.

I just hope that the next year's shots can be those supposed MRNA wonder-vaxxes that target all coronaviruses. I'd pay to skip my next cold, or at least shorten it.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:17 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
I'm going to skip past garbage about lockdowns killing more people than the virus, disbelief in the vaccine basic that boosters almost always are needed at some point, and general hateful circle-jerking.

What I'll address is this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Now, was it worth it to save 3 million (mostly elderly and infirm) and prevent another ?? million (mostly overweight/obese) from developing chronic health problems? Even as a healthy person who had little to fear from the virus (0.1% chance of death, maybe 2-3% chance of long covid, myself) I'd say yes, but YMMV.

Overall, I'd give the US response to the virus an "B". The Chinese cutoff was either lucky or smart, but we should have been WAY faster cutting off flights from Europe (and the rest of the world) when it was obvious Italy was the next incoming vector.

Closing outdoor spaces was looney-toons overreaction after the horse had already left the barn.

Telling people not to mask up--basically the CDC was lying to people to try to manipulate them into not hording all the PPE--was probably one of the biggest HC blunders since bloodletting.

Pretty much every restriction at this point is stupid and pointless. The virus is endemic and mostly harmless. People should be free to make their own (stupid) health care decisions.

I saw another chicken-little article about how there is only money for 1/2 of the needed Omicron-specific booster doses for the fall. My first thought was "that's plenty, since only 20% of Americans will bother getting boosted as four out of five people are idiots."
There are two bad statements (one minor, one important) in there that to me negate the various quality comments.
Bloodletting actually has some medically valid uses and is done, rarely, by doctors today.
"Endemic" is debatable (I'd call it very frequent waves) and without even getting into the significant risk of a worse variant, it is not close to "low-grade" or harmless, because of acute illness in many (days of major fatigue, for example) and how many people take a long time (or occasionally eternity) to recover. That's a poor, lazy, defeatist attitude I need to challenge. Smallpox and polio were endemic, and that wasn't considered okay. I'm not okay living like it's 1910. From infection, at any given time 2% or more of the population having trouble working or basic functioning and a higher percentage facing early-onset organ failure or dementia due to the virus - that must not be allowed to happen, for reasons of human decency, healthcare system burden, and socioeconomic functioning. Since medicine isn't about to come to the rescue (unless the upcoming vaccines are surprisingly effective and popular), that means measures like rigorous testing to keep infected people out of environments where they can easily spread the virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California