Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 10:21 AM

382 posts, read 179,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Look, another made-up statistic.

I can anecdotally mention someone who has been masked in indoor group settings 99% of the time without ever getting Omicron: me.
People who are careful in various ways can go out in the world among others and not get infected.
And I can anecdotally mention someone who has been unmasked in indoor settings 100% of the time without ever getting Omicron: me.

So even though 99% of the people are masked indoors in my area (Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, parts of Oakland, Richmond), Alameda county needs to reinstitute the mandate? It's obviously not working because everyone is still wearing masks, except for me and maybe 1 or 2 others in any store I go into. Need to get a haircut, my barber still requires masks. I'd go somewhere else just on principle alone, but everyplace like that requires a mask. Theatre, that's all it is.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Is "lunacy" really a factor? Or is it that the rising number of confirmed virus cases are leading to more people being hospitalized, as the Alameda County’s health officer stated?

No stats to support that belief, but this immunology professor explains why data shows more COVID-19 infections among boosted people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/im...ans/vi-AAXYf3h
It’s lunacy considering cases are starting to trend back down in the area and other adjacent counties with higher case rates, higher hospitalization rates and even higher increases are not implementing a mandate.

These mandates don’t affect case rates at all.

Last edited by sav858; 06-03-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah I saw that, I’m in central Costa County thankfully and don’t really have any reason to go to Alameda County. My buddy who works in Alameda was so pissed. Good, I hope more businesses and people don’t comply but it’s the Bay Area so I don’t have a whole lot of faith. Maybe the outer suburbs but definitely not that Oakland/Berkeley/Albany triangle.
No faith that people will buck the mandate. I guess I just realized something that Trader Joe's is actually in West Contra Costa County, so no mandate. It's hilarious, you go one block away and it's Albany which has the mask mandate. So stupid, but if I get denied in one store, I'll just long jump over the county line and get my stuff. Idiot public health officials and politicians.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yeah. Better than the guy who got on a plane with a recent exposure and no testing. I expect bad behavior from some people here. Like refusing to mask per a new order.... It's time to stop resenting things from long ago and help move this in the right direction.
Funny, you say that, but the people I only really choose to talk to as friends anymore are ones that think the mask mandates are ridiculous, and none of us would fly on a plane if we tested positive. However, a mask shaming white liberal do-gooder, a parent of a kid my wife has, got on a plane during Spring Break 2021 (when many weren't even vaccinated yet) and actually told my wife this because she had to get back for her kid to be in school.

So, you just shouldn't assume all of us on here would exhibit the behavior you mention. I will, however, not wear a mask in Alameda County into a store. If they ask me to leave, I'll leave my full cart and jump across the county line to get my things.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:13 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
And I can anecdotally mention someone who has been unmasked in indoor settings 100% of the time without ever getting Omicron: me.

So even though 99% of the people are masked indoors in my area (Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, parts of Oakland, Richmond), Alameda county needs to reinstitute the mandate? It's obviously not working because everyone is still wearing masks, except for me and maybe 1 or 2 others in any store I go into. Need to get a haircut, my barber still requires masks. I'd go somewhere else just on principle alone, but everyplace like that requires a mask. Theatre, that's all it is.
You'd be very hard pressed to find anywhere in San Diego still playing that dumb charade. It's like covid never happened here. Even the last bastion of stupidity (SDSU) finally caved because of the protests. The group let them breath was paramount in getting us back open. I guess all it took was a couple of good attorneys.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:25 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Another reason to be concerned. It's time to bury the idea that not needing hospitalization means all clear.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...could-00036845

Old 06-03-2022, 11:27 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Is "lunacy" really a factor? Or is it that the rising number of confirmed virus cases are leading to more people being hospitalized, as the Alameda County’s health officer stated?

No stats to support that belief, but this immunology professor explains why data shows more COVID-19 infections among boosted people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/im...ans/vi-AAXYf3h
I listened to the video. So what? Boosted people go about their lives, catch cold? Whoop-di-do.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You'd be very hard pressed to find anywhere in San Diego still playing that dumb charade. It's like covid never happened here. Even the last bastion of stupidity (SDSU) finally caved because of the protests. The group let them breath was paramount in getting us back open. I guess all it took was a couple of good attorneys.
So glad to hear that. We'll be down that way in June and maybe again in July. Our one son is transferring from Berkeley CC, to CSUF and I'm so glad he's in OC rather than LA county, and I hope CSUF stays in person, but he is fine with online and not very social so this doesn't impact him like it did with his older brother. He's on the waitlist for SDSU (accounting), so still hoping he may get in there, but kind of doubt it at this time. Not sure what it takes to get into SLO or SDSU anymore. He had all A's in CC and only a 3.2 in HS, so CC is a complete joke other than it only costs $700 a semester. It just used to be an automatic track from CC to most UC's and for sure every Cal States. Ca is starting to suck in my opinion.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:38 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
So glad to hear that. We'll be down that way in June and maybe again in July. Our one son is transferring from Berkeley CC, to CSUF and I'm so glad he's in OC rather than LA county, and I hope CSUF stays in person, but he is fine with online and not very social so this doesn't impact him like it did with his older brother. He's on the waitlist for SDSU (accounting), so still hoping he may get in there, but kind of doubt it at this time. Not sure what it takes to get into SLO or SDSU anymore. He had all A's in CC and only a 3.2 in HS, so CC is a complete joke other than it only costs $700 a semester. It just used to be an automatic track from CC to most UC's and for sure every Cal States. Ca is starting to suck in my opinion.
It's a numbers game because so many people are trying to get in. The local junior colleges are just as bad. Mesa has like 26,000 students and 2500 parking spots. SDSU has 36,000 students but at least decent parking structures.

We were told anyone with less than a 3.75 was going to have issues gaining admission. It used to be automatic transfer here too but they've change a lot of things.

At least the kids don't have to wear the virtue signaling face depends anymore.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's a numbers game because so many people are trying to get in. The local junior colleges are just as bad. Mesa has like 26,000 students and 2500 parking spots. SDSU has 36,000 students but at least decent parking structures.

We were told anyone with less than a 3.75 was going to have issues gaining admission. It used to be automatic transfer here too but they've change a lot of things.

At least the kids don't have to wear the virtue signaling face depends anymore.

Good luck.
Also, was told that many that graduated in 2021 took a gap year because of all the online crap going on so he's competing with his 2020 class coming out of CC as well as 2021 and 2022 graduates. Bad timing, and to think I was worried about them graduating college in a recession, which still could happen, but I'm hoping we just get this over with and have pain in the next 6 months to a year. Anyway, your stats line up with what I've heard. Keeping on topic, since colleges were affected so much in Ca by Covid, while other states had open in-person classes the entire time. So ridiculous about this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California