Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 03:08 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The op never mentioned his work situation and financial position or if he has a family. Kind of hard to make suggestions without those.

He only said that anything over $400K would be too much. So, OP, would you be able to work anywhere? Is that not an issue? Are you single?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 03:40 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
I'm happy for you that you found your bliss in Georgia. Also that you became a multi-millionaire in 3 years just by leaving CA & saving money on housing. I've never been to Atlanta/Marietta, but it sounds like it's a truly special, beautiful place. A real life Shangri-La. I'll have to visit someday.

Though I do have to challenge one of your statements. You state that Georgia offers 90% of what California does. This is just factually wrong. Why?

1. Public Land: I noticed you never addressed my biggest beef with your state. GA has a pathetic 9.7% of land set aside for public use. For outdoor lover's like myself, this is just unacceptable. Compare this to CA's 52%. Maybe you don't care about public land & the outdoors, but trust me there's a lot of me people who do. In fact, this is why many decide to move out to CA & out West in general.

2. Weather: No explanation necessary since you already conceded this point. Though I find it funny this is the only thing you you believe that CA has over GA.

3. Coastline: The Golden State coastline is approximately 8 TIMES the size of the Peach State, 800 vs 100 Miles. Another point to consider is that GA's biggest city, Atlanta is 3.5 hours away to the nearest beach, Tybee Island. The majority of CA residents live in coastal cities and have closer access to the beach. Speaking of big cities...

4. Major Cities: Georgia only has 1 major city, Atlanta. California has 3 major cities, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. As stated previously, it's rare for a state to have more than 1 major city. Additionally, all the 3 cities have a different flavor, vibe, experience which gives greater variety and options for people who are looking to live in a city.

5. Theme Parks/Amusement Parks: Georgia has 3 amusement parks, a few water parks and 0 theme parks. California has the most theme/amusements/water parks in America. All the major players in the industry are here. Disney/Universal/Seaworld/Legoland/Six Flags/Cedar Fair and a tons of independent companies. Now obviously you can drive to Orlando to get your fix, but you still have to leave the state and I would argue there is less variety in the parks in FL. One thing to consider is that you have parks located all throughout the state of CA so you can still access it even if you're SO CAL or Northern CA.

6. National Parks: Georgia has 0 National Parks. Lol Well at least you guys have 1 National Forest. There are 4 National Forests in Southern California alone. There are a ton of NP's in CA that people from all over the world travel to because of its majestic beauty. A lot of variety in the parks as well. Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Sequoia, Channel Islands, Death Valley, Lassen, etc.

Honestly, I could go on and on. I'll stop here because I feel like I made my case.
It all relative.
California quality of life depends on what you do daily.
You point out all these great places and. I won't argue they are not, but how often do you go there?
California has beautifull coastlines, but living in the Bay Area I hardly ever went.
Your comparison of what is physically existing in both states is fair. But the point is does it really affect your quality of life? Are you going to these places every day and enjoying them? If so I will give you California is better.
But don't you work?
If so how much time is actually spent at these wonderful places? Many are a days drive away. Just because they fall with the state lines doesn't mean you have access and use of them everyday. If you want to go to lassen for a walk one night how do you do it? It's nine hours away from you. So what does that matter if it's in the state of California where you live.
Many things you point out are just as much of a distance for people in California as they are for me.
Live in San Francisco and want to go to Disneyland? Same travel time for me to go to Disney world in Orlando.
From some reason you are equating being in the state as easy access.
California is nearly 800 miles long. If you want to make a fair comparison. Try looking at places to visit and things to do with 800 miles of Atlanta . One can go to the Florida keys, Everglades, Louisiana bayous, Chicago, Appalachia mountains just to name a few.
The point is all these places you list in California as wonderful as they are have counterparts that are wonderful too. California does not have a monopoly on great places to visit.

In my day to day life I do certain things, need access to certain things, enjoy certain things. Everything I used and had access to in all my years of living in California I have access to here in Georgia.
The other 10 percent I am missing is weather. But as I explained in my long response to nomoresnowforme it really comes down to 3 months in the summer. But remember all the people that flaunt the great weather in California live in certain areas. Living in the desert areas or in Redding California the summer heat is just as brutal as Georgia. May not have the humidity, but it is hotter. In both cases it it uncomfortable to go outside and do things for most people.

So,let's look at what you do 90 percent of your life, not your vacations and weekends. All the places you want to go spend a week at I can easily spend a week there too. Because of my financial advantage I can actually spend more time enjoying those places than you can. But I've lived in California longer than you have, I don't need to see the same places over and over. I'll use the extra money to see the rest of the world.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:38 PM

156 posts, read 163,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It all relative.
California quality of life depends on what you do daily.
You point out all these great places and. I won't argue they are not, but how often do you go there?
California has beautifull coastlines, but living in the Bay Area I hardly ever went.
Your comparison of what is physically existing in both states is fair. But the point is does it really affect your quality of life? Are you going to these places every day and enjoying them? If so I will give you California is better.
But don't you work?
If so how much time is actually spent at these wonderful places? Many are a days drive away. Just because they fall with the state lines doesn't mean you have access and use of them everyday. If you want to go to lassen for a walk one night how do you do it? It's nine hours away from you. So what does that matter if it's in the state of California where you live.
Many things you point out are just as much of a distance for people in California as they are for me.
Live in San Francisco and want to go to Disneyland? Same travel time for me to go to Disney world in Orlando.
From some reason you are equating being in the state as easy access.
California is nearly 800 miles long. If you want to make a fair comparison. Try looking at places to visit and things to do with 800 miles of Atlanta . One can go to the Florida keys, Everglades, Louisiana bayous, Chicago, Appalachia mountains just to name a few.
The point is all these places you list in California as wonderful as they are have counterparts that are wonderful too. California does not have a monopoly on great places to visit.

In my day to day life I do certain things, need access to certain things, enjoy certain things. Everything I used and had access to in all my years of living in California I have access to here in Georgia.
The other 10 percent I am missing is weather. But as I explained in my long response to nomoresnowforme it really comes down to 3 months in the summer. But remember all the people that flaunt the great weather in California live in certain areas. Living in the desert areas or in Redding California the summer heat is just as brutal as Georgia. May not have the humidity, but it is hotter. In both cases it it uncomfortable to go outside and do things for most people.

So,let's look at what you do 90 percent of your life, not your vacations and weekends. All the places you want to go spend a week at I can easily spend a week there too. Because of my financial advantage I can actually spend more time enjoying those places than you can. But I've lived in California longer than you have, I don't need to see the same places over and over. I'll use the extra money to see the rest of the world.
It's not relative. TBH, we're just never going to see eye-to-eye. If you can't even admit that CA & the West in general is a better place for outdoor lovers due to the sheer amount of public land, National Parks, and spectacular scenery in comparison to the South, then you're just in denial. Just look at the numbers.

Your argument is weak. Yes, I work a 9-5. But, just because I don't go everyday to these places doesn't mean I don't enjoy them on a regular basis. For example, I might go visit my free local hot springs on BLM land during the week after work. The springs have literally cured me from acute pain on my left foot from an accident.

The water my family and I drink is Artesian Mountain Spring Water. According to my research, it's the healthiest water one can drink. Once a month, I go to the mountains to collect this water. Not too long ago, I went to the desert, to a pine-forested mountain, then to the beach all one day. It was glorious. Where can I do that in Georgia, or anywhere else for that matter?

You're missing the point about access. Yes, every Californian has access. My point about National Parks and Public Land is that even if you life in Southern or Northern CA, you still have access. No, I may not go to Lassen on a weekend trip, but there are plenty of NP's, State Parks, and National Forests I can enjoy in Southern CA. Even more so if you live in Northern CA. Public land is distributed throughout the state, not isolated to one region of CA.

Honestly, I think Northern California may be the most beautiful region in the country. Just my opinion though.

It's all well and good that you're happy with you're move to GA. Just don't be making up lies about how you can get 90% in GA that you can in CA. You're deceiving and misleading people, especially those who want to enjoy the great outdoors as much as possible.

CA & the West offer the greatest outdoor recreational opportunities in the country.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:49 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
It's not relative. TBH, we're just never going to see eye-to-eye. If you can't even admit that CA & the West in general is a better place for outdoor lovers due to the sheer amount of public land, National Parks, and spectacular scenery in comparison to the South, then you're just in denial. Just look at the numbers.

Your argument is weak. Yes, I work a 9-5. But, just because I don't go everyday to these places doesn't mean I don't enjoy them on a regular basis. For example, I might go visit my free local hot springs on BLM land during the week after work. The springs have literally cured me from acute pain on my left foot from an accident.

The water my family and I drink is Artesian Mountain Spring Water. According to my research, it's the healthiest water one can drink. Once a month, I go to the mountains to collect this water. Not too long ago, I went to the desert, to a pine-forested mountain, then to the beach all one day. It was glorious. Where can I do that in Georgia, or anywhere else for that matter?

You're missing the point about access. Yes, every Californian has access. My point about National Parks and Public Land is that even if you life in Southern or Northern CA, you still have access. No, I may not go to Lassen on a weekend trip, but there are plenty of NP's, State Parks, and National Forests I can enjoy in Southern CA. Even more so if you live in Northern CA. Public land is distributed throughout the state, not isolated to one region of CA.

Honestly, I think Northern California may be the most beautiful region in the country. Just my opinion though.

It's all well and good that you're happy with you're move to GA. Just don't be making up lies about how you can get 90% in GA that you can in CA. You're deceiving and misleading people, especially those who want to enjoy the great outdoors as much as possible.

CA & the West offer the greatest outdoor recreational opportunities in the country.
You've obviously never been to Utah

Old 07-22-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
You've obviously never been to Utah
What do you mean? Utah offers spectacular National Parks such as Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc. It's also in the Top 10 for Public Land.

It is a wonderful place to live for people who want to enjoy the great outdoors.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:19 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
What do you mean? Utah offers spectacular National Parks such as Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc. It's also in the Top 10 for Public Land.

It is a wonderful place to live for people who want to enjoy the great outdoors.
So your saying you need Ca Az and Utah clumped together to compare equally to Georgia? Then I would agree with you. 3 western states equal Georgia.
Georgia is beautiful has ocean, forests hills, low cost of living. Savannah is one of my fav southern cities. Love the cemetery's there. The op should seriously consider moving there.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
So your saying you need Ca Az and Utah clumped together to compare equally to Georgia? Then I would agree with you. 3 western states equal Georgia.
Georgia is beautiful has ocean, forests hills, low cost of living. Savannah is one of my fav southern cities. Love the cemetery's there. The op should seriously consider moving there.
Cool story.
Attached Thumbnails
Love SoCal, Can't Afford a House Here, where to folks go?-giphy.gif  

Old 07-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't think you live in the state of California but in the state of denial.
It's ok, we're both happy. I was once younger and boisterous about California like you are now. Then I grew older and looked at things from a larger perspective.
You might want to try going out of the state to get a real perspective. I had a narrow view like you until I started traveling around and saw that there are plenty of other great places to live and enjoy the outdoors. The I sat down and actually wrote down pros and cons and financial spreadsheets and made a decision. you are like the people that simply parrot what others say to feel good about their choices.

You are actually the one deceiving others about enjoying the great outdoors because you don't know what you don't know. I would respect your opinion a lot more if you lived elsewhere as well as california because at least you would have experienced it instead of formulating ideas over what you look up on the internet. At least I lived in California a lot longer than you plus I am living in Ga now full time, so I can talk from experience- a lot of it.
You act like if you don't live in California you don't get to enjoy the outdoors as much. The truth is you do.
You had absolutely no rebuttal to the distance scenario I wrote out. People here can do pretty much all the activities you can do in California. Hiking, camping, boating, rafting. Not in the exact same places, but that's not necessarily bad or good, just different. Within 25 minutes I can go boating in 2 large lakes, kayaking or inner tubing down the rivers, visit multiple waterfalls and swim there, hiking, camping, explore caves and underground waterfalls.
We have zoos and aquariums just like you. Amusement parks and waterslides also.We have race tracks just like you. There really isn't that much in California that is unique that can't be found in other places or an equalavent.

Your once a month trip for artesian spring water? So they had to dig a well to access it? Hmm, I can go daily and get natural spring water from Cave Springs and don't have to wait to drive once a month to do it
http://www.findaspring.com/locations...pring-georgia/

You probably think that if someone lives in Reno Nevada that they don't have access to Yosemite because it's in California. Have you even been there yourself? You do realize they have better access to it than you do living in So cal. I know that you don't agree with the 90 percent thing and that's fine. But you refuse to look at the reality of time in your life and how much of it you have to do all those things. If you can't get to it in 30 minutes or at least say 2 hours, how much of all these wonderful places do you get to take advantage of? You only have weekends and a vacation a year. Guess what, for every place you go to , I can find one to go to also in those time periods.

How much public land do you need. You won't possibly be using every square foot of it?
As far as sitting in the Desert, we don't have that.
But then again I can visit historic Savannah or the Florida Keys, California has nothing like that.
How about visiting water falls?
We have Amicoloia Falls about an hour away
https://www.google.com/search?q=amic...w=1513&bih=809

or toccoa falls nearby

https://www.google.com/search?q=tocc...w=1513&bih=809

The point is California has a few unique things we don't have, but my region has some things California doesn't have.
Tell me how much time you've spent here in Ga or the south. Probably none. That's like comparing two food items and tasting only one but commenting on the one you didn't taste.

So let's just leave it that you and I are happy with our choices and let others read what we have to say and make their own choice for their circumstance.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 07-22-2018 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Cool story.
This is how you know an internet newby doesn't have a response to hold water so he tries to slight the poster with a gif and thinks he's as cool as Draymond Green.

Wait for it . . . .
he'll next post a

yawn . . .

to respond to this.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,234 times
Quote:
In all honesty, I never realized how much the South had until I moved across this here land. California is just amazing - people that live there know that. But there is this belief that people in Southern States don't have much. Well bless your heart, By Georgia, they do. While you cannot ski - because the Mtns are not high enough, you can be at the beach, in a city and then in the mountains in a single day.

The mountains in California and the west are much more dramatic. I am a fan of Colorado's mountains over California's. However the beaches in the South are far more usable than the ones on the west coast. The beaches on the west coast of Florida consistently rank in the top results and not just for the US, but on a world wide basis. That's not a charity, feel good ranking. The south has another important feature, water. It's everywhere. Lakes, rivers and the like. In the west there are many people worried on what the future looks like with regard to water.

With that said, there is nothing more amazing than PCH too me. However the folks in the South should realize they have a lot of things folks in CA have and they both have things much of the country does not. When I lived in Texas, what a shock to be stuck in one terrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California