Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:45 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Cried the first time I had to leave because of career. Came back when I could.
Be careful, because rattling around in a big house in another state could lose its appeal if your heart is in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
Lol Sure dude.

Alabama Gulf Shores

Laguna Beach

The problem with the Alabama Gulf Coast is that it's flat as a pancake. There's no dramatic scenery like Big Sur or Torrey Pines.

Sure the white sand & different shades of color looks pretty nice, but to say the beaches are a lot better than CA is laughable. Also, those high-rises on AL Gulf Shores & Orange Beach look tacky as hell. Very Florida-esque.
Some people equate a nice beach with just the color of the sand and the water....

Old 07-20-2018, 04:52 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Some people equate a nice beach with just the color of the sand and the water....
And inexpensive/free parking and no crowds. My friend went to the beach last weekend. CDM full , Lag Bch full , crystal cove full. She finally found parking in Dana point.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:20 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
I've heard things like "Prescott Az", "Bend Or" and others...
Interesting. Why Bend? It's nothing like southern California.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:41 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
And inexpensive/free parking and no crowds. My friend went to the beach last weekend. CDM full , Lag Bch full , crystal cove full. She finally found parking in Dana point.
Well, yeah, of course summer is beach season and weekends are always more crowded than weekdays.

If it wasn't a nice beach, people wouldn't want to go there. Your "nice beach with free parking and no crowds" sounds like the mythical "small town with cheap housing and great jobs."

Old 07-20-2018, 06:00 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, yeah, of course summer is beach season and weekends are always more crowded than weekdays.

If it wasn't a nice beach, people wouldn't want to go there. Your "nice beach with free parking and no crowds" sounds like the mythical "small town with cheap housing and great jobs."
Not really. When she was on her beach quest she was talking to her friend that lives in Jacksonville Fl. He couldn't believe it he said he just drives to his local beach parks puts down his towel and bliss! I think people that live here don't comprehend what it's like outside So cal.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Not really. When she was on her beach quest she was talking to her friend that lives in Jacksonville Fl. He couldn't believe it he said he just drives to his local beach parks puts down his towel and bliss! I think people that live here don't comprehend what it's like outside So cal.
Grew up at Newport Beach and now live in FL. CA beaches are beautiful for sure, but the water is cold and they are generally crowded and parking is expensive. Where I am at, Volusia County FL, I can drive and park on the beach, so no worries about someone breaking into my car because I am about 20 ft away from it and can bring as much as I want to the beach easily, chairs, umbrellas, barbecue unit, a large canopy for several people, etc. and it costs $25.00 a year. I also get to park in the beach parking lots for free as a city resident. Try that in CA.

If you want to look back and enjoy the beauty of the shore CA is hard to beat, but if you want to go in the water virtually year round CA is not where you want to be. Depends on what you want.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Grew up at Newport Beach and now live in FL. CA beaches are beautiful for sure, but the water is cold and they are generally crowded and parking is expensive. Where I am at, Volusia County FL, I can drive and park on the beach, so no worries about someone breaking into my car because I am about 20 ft away from it and can bring as much as I want to the beach easily, chairs, umbrellas, barbecue unit, a large canopy for several people, etc. and it costs $25.00 a year. I also get to park in the beach parking lots for free as a city resident. Try that in CA.

If you want to look back and enjoy the beauty of the shore CA is hard to beat, but if you want to go in the water virtually year round CA is not where you want to be. Depends on what you want.
Agree with the cold water in CA...I am not much of a swimmer so I go to the beach either to walk or to sit and enjoy the view. But for people who want to swim year-round, FL is undoubtedly better.

I know quite a few places where I can park for free at the beach. For years I went to Corona del Mar every Friday in summer and never once paid for parking or had trouble finding a spot. No, we weren't actually parked ON the beach though.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Agree with the cold water in CA...I am not much of a swimmer so I go to the beach either to walk or to sit and enjoy the view. But for people who want to swim year-round, FL is undoubtedly better.

I know quite a few places where I can park for free at the beach. For years I went to Corona del Mar every Friday in summer and never once paid for parking or had trouble finding a spot. No, we weren't actually parked ON the beach though.
Yeah the State beach there is my favorite beach in either State and if a space is open you can park above it on the street and walk down. When I was younger we would go to the beach at the other end, Little Corona(?) of the street and walk down. Then walk around the edge of the cliffs at the end to another beach and do that again and again and basically have a beach to ourselves. Now the area is built up and not like it was.

Last edited by expatCA; 07-20-2018 at 07:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah the State beach there is my favorite beach in either State and if a space is open you can park above it on the street and walk down. When I was younger we would go to the beach at the other end of the street and walk down. Then walk around the edge of the cliffs at the end to another beach and do that again and again and basically have a beach to our selves. Now the area is built up and not like it was.
Nothing is like it was but you can still park on the street at Corona and walk down to the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California