Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,731,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeordeath View Post
Uhh... Good? Why would I want illegals to be getting good jobs? I don't want illegals to be getting any jobs.
Because we need population growth to keep GDP and stock market growth up or no one can retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,837,951 times
I welcome my gentrification overlords here in San Lorenzo.

I support the toast bars, fair trade coffee shops and Thai Mexican fusion food trucks. Anything to keep driving up my home value.

gentrification is the fastest way to turn working poor and low middle class into middle/upper middle class.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,700,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
History calls this carpetbagging
No, history does not call it carpetbagging. People have always migrated to other areas when resources around them were slim. In less developed areas, this could be due to an inability to feed oneself and one's family through farming due to a drought, or whatever. Others may move in search of a job to support themselves.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict.../carpetbaggers
Definition of carpetbagger
: a Northerner in the South after the American Civil War usually seeking private gain under the reconstruction governments.
: outsider; especially : a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,501,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I welcome my gentrification overlords here in San Lorenzo.

I support the toast bars, fair trade coffee shops and Thai Mexican fusion food trucks. Anything to keep driving up my home value.

gentrification is the fastest way to turn working poor and low middle class into middle/upper middle class.
I feel the same . I own a home in an ungentrified part of L.A and I know for a fact if those types of places were in the neighborhood property values would be a lot higher .

the city will spend countless millions on things that are supposed to improve areas but if they really wanted to lower crime and make a neighborhood nicer they could just fund these types of hipster businesses and you'd see things turn around .
A big problem in L.A is that the city doesn't really care about small business and they also allow a lot of shady types of businesses to open up and then claim they don't have enough inspectors to investigate blah blah .
Basically the shady ghetto type of businesses can get away with doing whatever they want .

Old 04-29-2017, 03:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,065,834 times
Even a mere six-figures is considered low income in California these days.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeordeath View Post
And the only way to get population growth is to import illegals?

Well that's not true.
In a sense it is true and just as in Europe, the Birth rate is not growing the population and the residents are getting older. Immigration not only supplies workers, but the higher birth rate for a generation or two helps. Illegal immigration is quicker and eventually adds political support for the party favoring it over the law.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:35 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,837,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In a sense it is true and just as in Europe, the Birth rate is not growing the population and the residents are getting older. Immigration not only supplies workers, but the higher birth rate for a generation or two helps. Illegal immigration is quicker and eventually adds political support for the party favoring it over the law.
Their is nothing wrong with a coherent immigration policy bringing in people that are needed in society.

Letting any tom duck and Jane that have the resources to go on an adventure hike or overstay a visa while have zero or no skills is not helping the country. I understand worrying about a shrinking population and what that means to propping up social security etc, but letting people who have no ability to earn and end up a net drain on society is not going to help fund ss, Medicare or prop of wall st so 401k's stay high. All they do is undercut wages, tap into social programs and become a semi reliable voting block either now (illegally) or in a generation.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:16 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,729,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
As a young person, and one that wants to start a family soon, I know I will never be able to afford to buy a home in CA, yet alone in San Diego...
The problem isn't that the poor and middle class will get wiped out. The real problem is your expectation that you need to buy a home as a young person to start a family. The majority of this thread like most rant threads here on CD go on and on with a whole lot of complaining, political rants, if only this or that then everything would be wonderful. Its all just a lot of hot air and bs, if you really think about it. Of course that a big reason people come here - to blow off hot air which is evidenced by the thread type and count.

Then there is reality. First and foremost no one is entitled to purchase a home as a birth right in CA, especially in one of the most expensive places in the nation and world. Somehow being deprived of this want will not destroy you. Unless of course you feel totally defeated because you are not not a home owner. There are plenty of other ways to invest in your future. If you cannot accept these facts of life especially while living in the expensive coastal regions of CA, then move somewhere else. Its really as simple as that. Everything else is just pissin' in the wind because you are right about one thing. It will not change. That's the reality of the situation in expensive locations. In Germany and many other nations millions upon millions do not own a home and they are not wiped out.

This Stones song really says it all though many do not like what the lyrics mean in their own lives. Why? Because they want what they can't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BykilS816E

Derek

Old 04-29-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Their is nothing wrong with a coherent immigration policy bringing in people that are needed in society.

Letting any tom duck and Jane that have the resources to go on an adventure hike or overstay a visa while have zero or no skills is not helping the country. I understand worrying about a shrinking population and what that means to propping up social security etc, but letting people who have no ability to earn and end up a net drain on society is not going to help fund ss, Medicare or prop of wall st so 401k's stay high. All they do is undercut wages, tap into social programs and become a semi reliable voting block either now (illegally) or in a generation.
I agree, the allowance for illegals is a political issue , long term planning, to get votes from their birther babies. It turns them in one direction politically, where legal immigration does not.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The problem isn't that the poor and middle class will get wiped out. The real problem is your expectation that you need to buy a home as a young person to start a family. The majority of this thread like most rant threads here on CD go on and on with a whole lot of complaining, political rants, if only this or that then everything would be wonderful. Its all just a lot of hot air and bs, if you really think about it. Of course that a big reason people come here - to blow off hot air which is evidenced by the thread type and count.

Then there is reality. First and foremost no one is entitled to purchase a home as a birth right in CA, especially in one of the most expensive places in the nation and world. Somehow being deprived of this want will not destroy you. Unless of course you feel totally defeated because you are not not a home owner. There are plenty of other ways to invest in your future. If you cannot accept these facts of life especially while living in the expensive coastal regions of CA, then move somewhere else. Its really as simple as that. Everything else is just pissin' in the wind because you are right about one thing. It will not change. That's the reality of the situation in expensive locations. In Germany and many other nations millions upon millions do not own a home and they are not wiped out.

This Stones song really says it all though many do not like what the lyrics mean in their own lives. Why? Because they want what they can't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BykilS816E

Derek
True, I married and had a daughter long before owning a home. It takes time, savings and fore thought. A new family is not automatically expected to have a purchased hone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California