Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,999,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I don't think it's just chasing people out. There is cashing in. In speaking to neighbors in their late 50s -- yes this is anecdotal, but still on point -- they begin to realize that their lowly tract house (manicured though it may be) can now garner 1.2m+ and they begin to seriously contemplate a move to a less expensive state.
I would agree that some percentage is people cashing out, especially retirement age couples. But in a normal economy you would expect the home ownership percentage to stay stable, or rise or dip by a few percentage points as younger families buy new homes and become home owners.

That hasn't been the case in California for over a decade now, and we're back to 1980s home ownership numbers. That's not "just cashing out", that's outright fleeing of a productive class of Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 10:53 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I would agree that some percentage is people cashing out, especially retirement age couples. But in a normal economy you would expect the home ownership percentage to stay stable, or rise or dip by a few percentage points as younger families buy new homes and become home owners.

That hasn't been the case in California for over a decade now, and we're back to 1980s home ownership numbers. That's not "just cashing out", that's outright fleeing of a productive class of Californians.
It is just another case of CA sending money to other States.

It is just the people go with it and no longer pay taxes IN CA so a double loss for the State, except in property taxes which go up for the new buyers.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 PM

928 posts, read 1,069,509 times
Quote:
How does Manhattan deal with it? They still have teachers, restaurant workers, and public employees.

The truth is people make sacrifices. They travel into the city to work, and then travel out. Heck one of my neighbors makes nearly $300,000 a year and commutes to Burbank from OC.

Why does a dish washer HAVE to live in the coastal community where he works? That doesn't make any sense.
They live in Queens, Staten Island and NJ.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 AM

600 posts, read 568,354 times
Quote:

Yes the truth is hard to accept but California now has 114 takers (welfare recipients, government workers, pension receivers) for every 100 makers (tax contributors). That is unsustainable in the long term. Jerry Brown knows it, that's why he's constantly finding ways (gas tax) to plug the holes. It won't be enough.

That ratio is also going to get worse as the years go by, and may actually be under counting the taker number due to the illegal alien factor.

LOL, where do you get your info from? CA Welfare rate is only 11% of the population. That's the bottom of the barrel.

Whereas the red states can have as much as 20% of their population of weflare. How is that sustainable?
They simply BEG the Federal Govt for money. Since the Red States ranked the highest in receiving federal aid dollar.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:10 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,310,943 times
Quote:
How does Manhattan deal with it? They still have teachers, restaurant workers, and public employees.

The truth is people make sacrifices. They travel into the city to work, and then travel out. Heck one of my neighbors makes nearly $300,000 a year and commutes to Burbank from OC.

Why does a dish washer HAVE to live in the coastal community where he works? That doesn't make any sense.
You must not be familiar with NYC. New York is a very condensed city. The Bronx is attached to the northern tip of Manhattan and your average worker can be anywhere in 30 minutes on the subway. Same goes for express trains from Brooklyn and Queens.

Southern Californian cities are spread out in suburban sprawl with lackluster public transportation. The traffic is horrendous and impedes workers from getting to central urban locations in a humane manner, I feel sorry for those people when I see the freeway traffic not moving.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
You must not be familiar with NYC. New York is a very condensed city. The Bronx is attached to the northern tip of Manhattan and your average worker can be anywhere in 30 minutes on the subway. Same goes for express trains from Brooklyn and Queens.

Southern Californian cities are spread out in suburban sprawl with lackluster public transportation. The traffic is horrendous and impedes workers from getting to central urban locations in a humane manner, I feel sorry for those people when I see the freeway traffic not moving.
Oh, so you're worry is people commuting an hour each way to work.

They're not forced to do that. Why don't they move somewhere else outside of SoCal?

Must not be that big of a problem because SoCal is the largest metro in the United States, with people continually WILLINGLY moving in.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,310,943 times
One hour? a lot more than that. Perhaps you can have more compassion? Also in Manhattan there are many areas with lower income housing projects where workers live with a less than 15 minute walk to work!

Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,891,300 times
Quote:
The funny thing is some hardcore leftist are finally seeing the consequences of over regulation, statism, and Democrat policies.
I doubt it.

Quote:
Jerry Moon Beam Brown is finally on record saying he thinks "there are too many regulations" for housing developers in California.
Translated into plain English, what Brown really meant is "Finally, we received a big donation from Housing Developers in California."

Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,501,407 times
Quote:
One hour? a lot more than that. Perhaps you can have more compassion? Also in Manhattan there are many areas with lower income housing projects where workers live with a less than 15 minute walk to work!
There is affordable housing in NYC for those "1% ers" that win the housing lotto .

Old 05-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Compassion?

I spent 3 years in Afghanistan getting shot at by people who wanted to chop my head off. That wasn't even the worst of it. Due to the multiple sand storms, and heck, even if there weren't sand storms, every breath or bite of food had a bit of sand in it. I even had sand in my foreskin.

I also saw how people live OUT THERE. Yup. I saw how Pashtuns and Abdali lived out there. They had to WALK one hour one way, and ONE hour back in the blistering desert heat to trade for grain that they would BY HAND turn into something edible. They hand pumped water, and they bathe themselves out in the open, and that's in between the Taliban trying to convert their young boys into soldiers, or Afghan soldiers trying to sexually molest those same boys. It was estimated that these people survived, as a FAMILY UNIT, on less than $7 a MONTH.

So you're going to ask me if I have "compassion" because some guy making $15-$20 an hour has to drive 1 hour to work in his air conditioned Toyota Camry while listening to Ryan Seacrest on KIIS FM, nah. He's got it pretty ****ing good.

People in general in the U.S are too soft, too spoiled, and too unmotivated, and would rather "complain" about how "bad" they have it instead of actually changing their circumstances or they are quick to ask the government for help. Too soft, fat, entitled, and lazy. Compassion would be giving them a good kick in the butt, and telling them to stop crying, and grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California