Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bakersfield or Fresno?
Bakersfield 11 36.67%
Fresno 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:17 PM

778 posts, read 824,975 times

Advertisements

Yeah, if those are your options, there's a 90% chance you're better off where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,489,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Fresno. Bakersfield has no entertainment, Super Wal-Marts, and LA gangs.
Isn't Bakersfield a hot spot for country music in California? If I am not mistaken, there is even a musical style named after the city.

So much for no entertainment.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:14 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,970,039 times
I added a poll.

I choose Fresno.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM

259 posts, read 510,809 times
Time to add a little more civility to the conversation. I am from NYC, have lived in ATL, D.C., Houston, Dallas, and yes Bakersfield AND Fresno so I feel I have the qualification to speak about the two places from the perspective of someone who has lived in huge metro areas as well as other regions of the nation.

The choice between Fresno and Bakersfield is largely dependent on what the particular person regards as most important.

Like others have posted if you are more interested in outdoorsy endeavors then perhaps Fresno might be a better choice because it's proximal to Yosemite and the lakes. Yes true Fresno has better infrastructure and Cal State Fresno is a good institution of higher learning. Fresno sits almost central of NorCal and SoCal so basically it's a little over 3 hours to San Fran and friends and a little closer to 4 hours to LA...not that bad actually. There is a really nice area in Fresno with nice restaurants, entertainment, and nice houses (Woodward Park area), as well.

The areas to avoid is the infamous West Side as well as some places around Sunnyside. I have lived in the Sunnyside area and then moved to the much nicer Woodward Park area and the change is so different it's hard to believe it's the same city. Crime in Fresno is pretty compartmentalized and doesn't bleed over to the nicer areas for the most part. Someone mentioned Clovis...yes that's a nice more affluent part of the Fresno metro area as well. Good school system. After a good rain (rare) which clears the smog temporarily the mountain view is simply breathtaking.

Bakersfield well it's not all that bad of a place, but it doesn't really compare to Fresno overall. I mean it's not quite the armpit people make it out to be, but I do see why sometimes it's described with derision. Bakersfield has grown exponentially the last 10 years with Stockdale Hwy becoming more prominent. They have a nice arena in which events come to on a regular basis, and Cal State Bakersfield while not a CSU Fresno is growing and offers continual ed options for some fields. Bakersfield has more characteristics of a semi-desert like environment, at least moreso than Fresno and it can get really hot there. As far as air quality goes the San Joaquin Valley in general has some of the worst air quality in the nation in terms of particulate matter and O3. Also Valley Fever is a concern for out of towners...please look up that condition and educate yourself on it. One of Bakersfield's best qualities is that it's 100+ miles from LA which can be as short as 1 hours and 45 minutes or 3 hours depending on the conditions on the El Tejon mountain pass affectionately known as the Grapevine. If there's an accident, or snow, or a wildfire on the Grapevine fugggetaboutit.

When I lived in Bakersfield I would go to LA on the weekend or make a day trip out of it and go to Venice Beach and various other attractions. Less spoken about is how San Diego can be reached in about 4 hours or so which is worth it for the trip alone traveling South on I-5. The Pacific Coast is darn beautiful.

I'm transitioning over to the oil and gas industry and have been soft offered an opportunity to go to Bakersfield to start my career (yes there's oil in Cali, especially Kern County) since I have family and friends in the Valley. Of course Houston and to a lesser extent Dallas seems like a no-brainier as options for me but I know living in Bakersfield isn't as bad as many make it seem. I expect the natives to be tired of the Valley if they have been there most of their lives so take their perspective with a filter.

If you need more in depth perspective from an out of towner that has lived in both places as an adult please let me know.

Edit: Crime exists in both cities of course, but it's not as bad as people make it seem. I rarely if ever felt unsafe and that's mostly because I was aware of what places to avoid. The crime is pretty much contained geographically. And yes I've even had my car stolen in Fresno, but to be honest at the time I was living in a "fringe" neighborhood at the time. When I moved to Woodward park area I had a nice BMW and never did I ever fear it being stolen or messed with. Though I must say my old Saturn and Honda Civics were the prime targets for grand theft auto not so much the luxury vehicles.

Last edited by still_waiting; 04-20-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 04:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
NO im dead serious....that's exactly how i feel about Fresno and the dead wasteland we live in......it's hell here .....Fresno Is HELL ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it safe to say you don't like it there too pretty much?

Edited to add I just noticed that most of this thread is six years old.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-20-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM

245 posts, read 545,920 times
Fresno feels more like a city but its very isolated. Major airports are far away, the coast and so on. Bakersfield is closer to L.A, the coast and other nice places but its more of a big town than a real city. It still has shopping, concerts and ect but the valley is the valley and its not or everyone.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM

25 posts, read 46,579 times
Bakersfield hands down. Fresno has a HUGE crystal meth issue, it is notorious for it being the Compton between Compton and Stockton. Bakersfield is much closer to LA, the housing is cheaper, easy access to Las Vegas and Arizona, closer to the coast, and IMO nicer people.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
OMG! Every time I see the name of this thread I instantly get that lame song "Torn Between Two Lovers" stuck in my head!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 PM

979 posts, read 2,096,650 times
Move to Sacramento !

Only place worth living in the Valley.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
If you have to choose between these two, I feel damn sorry for you my friend. They both suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California