Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bakersfield or Fresno?
Bakersfield 11 36.67%
Fresno 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 20,314 times

Advertisements

It depends if you are looking for a small area, then Bakersfield, if you are looking for a larger area, then Fresno. Just note that a larger area means more crime, murder, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 01:32 AM

5 posts, read 16,043 times
Default everything is local

There are goods and bads to all cities. I hate to overgeneralize. You have to figure out what YOU want. If you like sports, go to Fresno. You can follow Fresno State football there. If you have money to move to a posh residential area, take your money to the Oaks in Bakersfield. You wouldn't think there are million dollar homes in Bakersfield - but they exist, and they're gorgeous. Keep in mind, Fresno is about twice the size of Bakersfield. Both cities have gangs, but like I said, just find a good neighborhood to live in. Also, think regionally. Bakersfield is within 2 hours from Los Angeles. However, Fresno is near the Sierras and Yosemite. ...and there are many more factors to consider...

Old 04-19-2008, 02:11 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times
I grew up in Bakersfield and though I'm moving as soon as I possibly can, I believe it is a better city than Fresno. The only reason I don't enjoy it here, or in the rest of the central valley of California for that matter, is my political and religious views don't really match up with many people here. If you're looking for a conservative place, the central valley is for you. I've been to Fresno very few times but the few times I've been it seemed pretty gross. At least in Bakersfield you can live in a nice part of town and avoid the nasty parts of town if you want to. I live in the Northwest, that's where all the newest areas are and you could probably stay in that area and never leave if you didn't want to. But you should leave just so you can try all the cool restaurants around town. That's something else I like about good ol' Bako, despite the fact that we have a plethora of chain restaurants, we have some really cool original restaurants as well. Also, if you have kids, they can go to Centennial, Liberty, Frontier, or Stockdale high school which are really good schools. Plus there are two private high schools: Garces (catholic, and a great school) and Bakersfield Christian (only a few years old and kind of small). There are a lot of things about Bakersfield that I took for granted while living here and now that I'm leaving I actually think I'll miss this place. Granted, that won't be enough to make me come back, but obviously it's not all bad if I'm going to miss it. We have multiple theaters and a symphony as well as several sports teams. There's the Condors (hockey), Jam (basketball), and I think we have an arena football team. I'm probably forgetting some stuff because I'm tired. But if I tried, I could sit down for an hour and write down all the fun things to do including restaurants, activities, parks, day-trips out of the city if that's your thing, etc.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,966 times
Bakersfield makes meth for L.A/Fresno/Sac Town/And few other small towns. Fresno is bigger but is safer bet plus its abit nicer as in the bad parts of bakersfield vs bad parts of fresno fresno wins. but seriously tho if u plan on having kids and ur a minority dont go bakersfield they'll either die/gang up/ or get lucky and finish school then do drugs. lol unless of course the big factor of..living in a nice part of town. thats all it comes down to after looking at everything else. Also remember L.A is two hours away meaning they run to bakersfield after killing/raping in L.A Why doesn't anyone here keep up with street knowledge?

Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioxvirus View Post
Bakersfield makes meth for L.A/Fresno/Sac Town/And few other small towns. Fresno is bigger but is safer bet plus its abit nicer as in the bad parts of bakersfield vs bad parts of fresno fresno wins. but seriously tho if u plan on having kids and ur a minority dont go bakersfield they'll either die/gang up/ or get lucky and finish school then do drugs. lol unless of course the big factor of..living in a nice part of town. thats all it comes down to after looking at everything else. Also remember L.A is two hours away meaning they run to bakersfield after killing/raping in L.A Why doesn't anyone here keep up with street knowledge?
Thats just ignorant.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuenng View Post
There are goods and bads to all cities. I hate to overgeneralize. You have to figure out what YOU want. If you like sports, go to Fresno. You can follow Fresno State football there. If you have money to move to a posh residential area, take your money to the Oaks in Bakersfield. You wouldn't think there are million dollar homes in Bakersfield - but they exist, and they're gorgeous. Keep in mind, Fresno is about twice the size of Bakersfield. Both cities have gangs, but like I said, just find a good neighborhood to live in. Also, think regionally. Bakersfield is within 2 hours from Los Angeles. However, Fresno is near the Sierras and Yosemite. ...and there are many more factors to consider...
There are plenty of million-dollar homes in Fresno, too.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 79,248 times
well between Bakers and fresno..i would choose Fresno..none of these cities are immune to gangs, smog, drugs, and many other negative problems. Nearly every California has those same things. Fresno has more entertainment venues, more culture, strong sport teams, beach and moutains just 1 hr from there. Fresno is 2x bigger than Bakers so that means a lil bit of more traffic.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 AM

322 posts, read 1,103,474 times
Fresno i think is better then bakersfield just because it's a lot bigger maybe not in area wise...but more opportunity then bakersfield... but other then that i someday plan to commit to move away from the Central Valley once and for all.....the East Coast is just too beautiful.. i plan to move out there.... California is a very unique state with it's many many features.... though... including not technically Las Vegas, but it's soo close to california border that it might as well be part of the Variety That California , Has to Offer... Other then That.... i'd Say the Best city to move to in the State is ...On the Coast or Up in Northern California.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 49,341 times
I really feel sorry for you if you have to choose between Bakersfield or Fresno. Can you pick Visalia, which is sort of in between?? I like Visalia. I live in the mountains east of Fresno and go down there a couple times a month. I don't know much about Bakersfield except we pass it when we go to LA to visit family. It looks hot and ugly to me but then so does Fresno. No offence.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Bakersfield doesn't look that great when passing through on Highway 99,because so much of it's charm is not viewable from the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iodine1949 View Post
I really feel sorry for you if you have to choose between Bakersfield or Fresno. Can you pick Visalia, which is sort of in between?? I like Visalia. I live in the mountains east of Fresno and go down there a couple times a month. I don't know much about Bakersfield except we pass it when we go to LA to visit family. It looks hot and ugly to me but then so does Fresno. No offence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California