Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bakersfield or Fresno?
Bakersfield 11 36.67%
Fresno 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:20 PM

30 posts, read 97,116 times

Advertisements

I think they're both fairly similar- they're both Central Valley cities. Difference is Bakersfield is closer to So. Cal and Fresno is closer to No. Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_nathan View Post
i hear flint, michigan is nice
Now thats FUNNY! I dont care what anybody says!!!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I am choosing the Phoenix area over both. Fresno was up until last year anyway called the Car theft capital of the nation. Read a story where a man went out to find his car was stolen. He called his son to come and get him. The son went to get in his car and it had been stolen as well.

My wife loves Fresno. She has family there. I am more familiar with Bakersfield as I lived in Taft a long time ago and we used to go to Bakersfield to have fun. I think both have there good and bad points. Bakersfield does have some bad smog and low air quality. You can get a lot of house for the money though. Sure the same as far as home prices in Fresno.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,113 times
the one who said that they've never seen gangs in Bakersifled - Of course you haven't, you live in the NW part of town! I live in NW Fresno and I never see gangs either, but they are here.

I have family in Bakersfield and they HATE it because there is nothing to do whereas if you are a nature lover, in Fresno an hour and a half drive will get you to Yosemite, not to mention many lakes near here. There's more and more to do here each year although to many residents it might not seem like it because they don't look hard enough. There's a lot of good restaurants and some cool local places that have good live music. If you are involved in the medical field Fresno is a good place because that industry is growing. The construction industry is huge too despite the real estate crisis. But when that ends, construction will go back to being one of the top industries here. There is crime here, like everywhere else, but FPD Chief Jerry Dyer is busting his a$$ on that! Our PD has cracked down on gangs big time! They are also trying to improve downtown to make it a more desireable place to go.

On the contrary, the drivers here suck and so does the road system. There are many roads here that are really congested and are in need of widening. The people aren't exactly the nicest folks I've ever met, but whatever. Oh yeah, the air quality SUCKS!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:50 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmels View Post
the one who said that they've never seen gangs in Bakersifled - Of course you haven't, you live in the NW part of town! I live in NW Fresno and I never see gangs either, but they are here.

I have family in Bakersfield and they HATE it because there is nothing to do
And thats what I said about gangs, I don't see them but there are gangs, thats the way it is in any city. As far as nothing to do, there are things to do, you just have to go out and do them. I didn't run Fresno down at all, I recomended it.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:47 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Fresno doesnt have gangs? It must have changed since i left California. Gangs, junkies,murders etc etc etc
where did i say fresno doesn't have gangs?

Fresno has gangs from L.A. area since it's closer to L.A. fresno has more central california gangs which aren't that bad as the L.A. gangs

fresno has one water park, and clovis has another water park. the nearest water park to get out of the heat in bakersfield is paso robles.

I agree, Fresno doesn't have a good downtown right now and a lack of a couple things. But Bakersfield isn't any better, IT'S WORSE!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 PM

101 posts, read 582,015 times
I have family in Fresno who are having a great life there--been there over twenty years, involved in all sorts of things--and never had a car stolen.

I drove up through the central valley and back today--usually a boring, ugly drive after you get over the grapevine. Today it was magnificent. The fruit and nut trees are in bloom--I've never seen such beautiful orchards, stretching for miles and miles. Too bad it only lasts for a week or two.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,196 times
They are both California's greatest embarrassments. I think Fresno takes the prize as "Worst Place in California." I would choose Bakersfield. I would give Bakersfield 6 months of my time and if I hated it, I would be on my way to San Jose...

Fresno's gang activity is more a case of idiot poseurs who commit poorly thought-out petty crimes in between trips to the tattoo parlor, the cheap liquor store, and the community park on Sunday....

Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmels View Post

I have family in Bakersfield and they HATE it because there is nothing to do whereas if you are a nature lover, in Fresno an hour and a half drive will get you to Yosemite, not to mention many lakes near here. There's more and more to do here each year although to many residents it might not seem like it because they don't look hard enough. There's a lot of good restaurants and some cool local places that have good live music. If you are involved in the medical field Fresno is a good place because that industry is growing. The construction industry is huge too despite the real estate crisis. But when that ends, construction will go back to being one of the top industries here. There is crime here, like everywhere else, but FPD Chief Jerry Dyer is busting his a$$ on that! Our PD has cracked down on gangs big time! They are also trying to improve downtown to make it a more desireable place to go.

On the contrary, the drivers here suck and so does the road system. There are many roads here that are really congested and are in need of widening. The people aren't exactly the nicest folks I've ever met, but whatever. Oh yeah, the air quality SUCKS!
I would have to say this is as close to accurate as I have seen on this post though I would also say that if you could live in either of these places you could probably make it anywhere. The air quality is probably worse than anywhere in the country though Riverslime is a close second and the temps vary from 108 in the summer down to freezing in the winter... Both areas have "pockets" of nice areas (North East Fresno/Clovis) has nice neighborhoods/schools and I know of places in West Bakersfield that do as well. Take note sometime when your coming into the Central Valley from Tejon pass on I-5; It looks like your driving down into a giant toilet bowl of brown about 320 of the 365 days a year...

Old 03-02-2008, 05:43 PM

20 posts, read 471,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_nathan View Post
i hear flint, michigan is nice
Flint, MI is not a good place to live. It is #3 on most dangerous cities in the nation as of 2007.

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California