Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM

210 posts, read 588,330 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get out of my town for a year or so while pursuing my masters. And am strongly considering Cal Poly, good program...just what i am looking for.
I feel that SLO might be a good fit because i have ZERO interest in living in...or anywhere close to a big city. I was able to visit the area briefly last week but was unable to spend that amount of time there that i wanted to spend.

Am i correct in thinking that SLO have a small town vibe while having everything one would need (basics wise)?
I am a 30 something and I was not in town while school was in session so I got a skewed view of the demographic. I know during the school year its definitely a college town. Is there a population of 30's somethings in the area or am i going to be the freak dinosaur?
Safety is super important and from talking to some folks it seems that SLO doesn't really have a bad area. Is this true?

Really, i just want a chill town. A place where i can just be and focus on school....and maybe have a bit of fun and meet some interesting people in the process.
Thanks for any insight in advance!
Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,692,854 times
SLO does not have a bad area, Except when you are drunk at 2:00 AM and you think jaywalking the freeway is a good idea.

San Luis Obispo may be the best town in America, it certainly got rated as the Happiest town. 30 somethings abound, folks that finished Cal Poly and decided to stick around, lots of young gungho companies.

Can You get into Poly? some majors are wait listed for several years.

If you are an outdoors person you will really like it here.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM

168 posts, read 554,940 times
San Luis is super safe. So much so, that at my previous residence, I never locked my doors except at night. As somebody in their early 30's and living there, you will certainly not be alone. There are many 30 somethings around and trust me, you will find us not hanging out getting hammered at bulls/motav or other college bars.

I actually prefer summer versus the rest of year because the town seems a lot more "empty" without the drunken college folks. I went to poly as an undergrad and came back, albeit married and kids in tow. We love it here, and most of our friend circle ranges from people with kids, to some without all in our mid/late 20's to mid 30's.

Everything is here basics wise except a Macy's (if you ask "the City") hehe. No seriously, everything is in arm reach. My only chief compliant is I sometimes have "city" withdrawals, but i trip to either the Bay Area/Sacramento or LA changes that, to which i do every now and gain. Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,692,854 times
To follow up, as Shawn says, SLO and environs is safe. We do not live in SLO but nearby, we have no idea where our house keys are, we have not locked a door in the 4 years we have been here.

It has a Home Depot, although I prefer to keep my money local and shop at Miners Hardware, a Costco, and Trader Joes, if you are not familiar with them, they are a smaller supermarket with it's own labels. Stuff tends to be better and cheaper than at the supermarkets. There is a Food For Less which is a low cost supermarket, with great meat. Not sure what else a person could want

There is a great ski club with activities year round, and budget trips to Mammoth for skiing. If I were single, I'd likely belong to it. If you are a horse person, this area is equestrian paradise. From Team Penning to wilderness trail riding, it is all here.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:24 PM

157 posts, read 505,083 times
Good place to hide from the world and live a 'slow' life. If you have big city withdrawal symptoms just plan a trip up or down the coast to SF or LA.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM

210 posts, read 588,330 times
Thanks Hignlite and Shawn for the info...more conformation on what i already suspected.
I can live without Macy's...lol. I currently have one like 5 min from my house and i rarely shop there. I LOVE Trader Joes! We recently just got them here in TN but i can't justify the 30+ min to get to the only one in the state that i am aware of ...will be so happy to have one down the street.
I can't believe you people don't lock your doors! That is AMAZING to me and is such a breath of fresh air (even though i will more than likely continue to lock mine if i end up out there).
World class skiing a few hours away...check! Abundant outdoors activities and others who enjoy them as well...check!
Now...off to wiggle my way into cal poly

Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes2 View Post
Good place to hide from the world and live a 'slow' life. If you have big city withdrawal symptoms just plan a trip up or down the coast to SF or LA.
I agree with this view, but I do not need to be surprised!

Discount Golf

Last edited by apapgolf; 08-16-2011 at 03:15 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes2 View Post
I agree with this view, but I do not need to be surprised!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 AM

405 posts, read 1,346,786 times
My parents live in Pismo and we visit SLO often. I'd move there tomorrow if work was attainable. In my opinion it meets all the things you ask for. 30-somethings might be a little tough because it's very expensive and I can't imagine there are enough well paying jobs for that... but I don't know for sure.

If you don't mind the slightly 'isolated' feel... it's wonderful.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:24 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,770,607 times
Low crime rates, a school district with high acceptance rates into college, a handful of jobs, and with the basics for shopping makes it a desirable town. It's a place where many people want to settle down.

You have Target, Home Depot, Costco, Sear's, Kohl's, and Forever 21 (soon to be replaced with Macy's) and the other big name big box retaillers.

There's also an array of quality car dealerships, sit down restaurants, and boutique shops in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California