Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM

22 posts, read 106,387 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering moving to coastal Humboldt County in the Eureka/Arcata area. I love the area and the awesome forests and beaches. I like how the town of Trinidad looks, and since it is about 15 minutes to Arcata, it fits my needs.

I am married and have three kids. My job can be taken basically anywhere that has an internet connection and phone service so I'm not concerned about the local job market. I would love to move here because of the closeness to nature and the special beauty this place holds. I am an avid hiker and outdoors man, as is my family.

I have some questions though, How safe is Trinidad or other nearby towns for a family? I am well aware of cougars and bears, I'm just curious if its dangerous due to Pot growers??

I am a Libertarian so I am very tolerant to alternative lifestyles and Pot use, as long as it doesn't interfere with my life. To each his own. I just would like my family to be in a safe area.

I should also add that I home school my kids so local schools are no issue with me since I wouldn't be affiliated with them.

So, is coastal Humboldt county a wise choice for me? I would like some opinions. Remember the local economy isn't a factor for me ----- My job is universal practicably Thanks in advance
- James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Trinidad is an especially beautiful section of thr NorCal coast. Combine that with near proximity to coastal Redwoods and it is a nature lover's paradise.

A far a life there for a young family I coudn't say. While visiting the area I did observe a few strange things which may or may not be an issue for you. First of all since the economy is basically flat there there appears to be a lot of homeless, down and out folks. That in and of itself isn't that big of a deal. I mean homeless ppl are everywhere and not necessarily a problem. But then I went to park my car and go on a nature walk just outside of town. And as I parked my car I had someone warn me about recent car break ins. Then as I looked around I saw a sign stating something to the effect that many cars had been broken into recently, so park at your own risk. And then I saw all the broken glass around where I had parked. Ok, I thought, "I caught the drift. I'll park much further away from the trailhead in a more open area." I don't know if auto breakins are indicators of other kinds of local crime as well like more home burglaries, etc... But it at least causes one pause for thought and is worth checking out. I would look into local crime reports for Trinidad. Maybe those incidents are isolated to smash and grab car thefts - don't know.

Ok, before I get labelled by the bleeding hearts as being overly critical/judgemental I thought I would provide some real data on the area in question. So you can draw your own conclusions:

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.htmlModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Derek

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
If you are concerned about running across a grow scene while hiking, you do not have to worry if you are hiking the coastal region, it is too cool for the growing of pot. Any pot grown coastal will be indoor grows. These do exist and probably in every town in Humboldt county. If you are hiking inland where it gets hot in the summer, just stick to known parks and stay on well traversed trails and if you see water lines snaking along the trail, high tail it out of there. Welcome to Humboldt.

Martin

Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 PM

Thank you both for your replies.
Derek, those links were very helpful, thanks. I did some researching and I think Trinidad would be a bad choice, but Arcata looks pretty good. Ideally I think we would move to a house just outside of town. I have learnt that Arcata has a college liberal vibe but I shouldn't be bothered by that.... My wife and I are not definite on moving to Humboldt but we are seriously considering it.

Martin, Thanks for informing that pot doesn't grow well outside in the cool coastal climates. I'm very ignorant on the cultivation of it so I had no idea.

- James

Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Trinidad is an especially beautiful section of thr NorCal coast. Combine that with near proximity to coastal Redwoods and it is a nature lover's paradise. ......

Derek
Trinidad is pretty cool to visit.

To live there ... I have no idea whether I'd like it. To visit ... stop in there almost every time I'm near it, and stayed in the Emerald RV resort too.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Trinidad is pretty cool to visit.

To live there ... I have no idea whether I'd like it. To visit ... stop in there almost every time I'm near it, and stayed in the Emerald RV resort too.

Great shot mdvaden! I love all those seastacks you captured. In many ways this area reminds me of some of the more beautiful seactions of the Oregon coast with similar trees and seastacks along the coast.

Derek

Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Great photo mdvaden, it looks so ethereal...I love it!

I also forgot to complement your wonderful photo Derek. Those Douglas Iris' with the view of the ocean and big rock head is so inspiring.
- James
Btw Derek, have you been to Patrick's Point State Park? It's near Trinidad. It's simply wonderful.
Here's a link to a blog that has pictures and info of it: http://gardenoflamancha.blogspot.com...cks-point.html

Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Okay, So I have said that Arcata looks good. I have done some more researching and I think McKinleyville might be better.

Also I have been reading the forums on Trinidad (Which I guess I should have done before....) and I have read posts saying Trinidad is pretty safe.... However, the online reports seem to think Trinidad is worse than Arcata/McKinleyville.

This weekend I plan to go with all my fam to scout the area to have a definite feel for Trinidad.

Are there any locals who have a knowledge of Trinidad?? thanks so much!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene45 View Post
Great photo mdvaden, it looks so ethereal...I love it!

I also forgot to complement your wonderful photo Derek. Those Douglas Iris' with the view of the ocean and big rock head is so inspiring.
- James
Btw Derek, have you been to Patrick's Point State Park? It's near Trinidad. It's simply wonderful.
Here's a link to a blog that has pictures and info of it: Garden of La Mancha: Hidden Road to Patrick's Point
James,

Thanks for sharing that hike. It looks really nice.

My hobby is nature photography which this area really lends itself to in many ways. Here is one of my favorite destinations when I head that way - Del Norte Coast Redwoods:

Derek

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM

Wow! Those photos are abosolutely stunning! Great work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California