Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 22,818 times

Advertisements

hello! My boyfriend and I are planning on moving in the near future and are narrowing down our choices. We have done some research, but really just want to spend some time in each place were looking at to get a feel for it before making any big decisions.
We currently reside in Central Illinois. Eureka/Arcata area is at the top of my list. I have read some other post on here and have gotten a lot of different opinions. We visited the area in late May and loved it. I love the ocean and desperately want to be near it. I love nature and the mountains. The redwoods amazed me. Most complaints were about the slow, country type lifestyle. Again, i'm from central illinois, where farming is what you do, unless of course you chose to work in a factory. That pretty much sums up my town...oh and the tweekers. We have those, lots of those. My town is about the size of Eureka, with no major cities for at least 3 hours. The crime rates, seems to be slightly lower though. Basically, the "downside" of the area, doesn't seem that bad to me.
My only concerns are the cost of living and job market. I'm a recent nursing graduate and would be looking for a job in health care. I haven't seen the best reviews for the hospitals, but am curious about other job opportunities. The homes listed for sale online seem outrageous, would renting be the way to go? Or are there some reasonable homes for sale, just not posted online? Are there absolute places to avoid? I've been called a "hippie" more than a few times in my life (which I neither claim, nor deny, I am what I am) so the transient population isn't a concern of mine. Were mid twenties so the college population doesn't scare me off either, I actually enjoy it. Were just looking for a peaceful town near the ocean, with lots of outdoor activities, that we don't have to travel to enjoy to beauty of nature, a stay-cation if you will. The weather in the area suits me just fine. We generally just mid our own business and want to be treated the same. any advise would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,442 times
Eureka california is cold and windy and the crime rate is outrageous! Arcata is a college town with HSU nearby, but the drug and crime problem of eureka definitely spills over. McKinleyville is more remote and allow you space from the problems of the eureka/arcata area, but you still have to go into town or pass thru it, so I would recommend if you have children or are planning on having a family, go somewhere else.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:49 PM

19 posts, read 85,393 times
Default former resident

Eureka is by the ocean yes, however, it is not warm! It is not the kind of water you wish to swim in unless you have a wet suit on. I lived there for 17 years and raised 2 children there. Every place has crime.
There is a lot of fog, so if you have a tendancy for depression, it is not a place to be!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
as for the weather, we lived there for almost 2 years, one day, during mid summer the temps climbed to 81 and everyone was complaining about how hot it was, it rains constantly and is foggy, when not raining. the crime rate is awfully high, not so much murder, etc but property crime as people want to support their drug habits and the job market has always been bad. In fact the area depends or did on the logging industry which isn't at the top of the list any longer, add to that Cal property prices period and you may want to re-think you desire to move there. You talk about living in a small farming community now, that is not what Eureka and Arcada are about.

Now on the positive side, great fresh salmon and crab, yes the ocean (even though it isn't the type one would swim in) and the blue sky when it isn't raining or foggy, plus some of the small towns just south are wonderful to visit.

Nita

Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
There is just too much bad rapping of Humboldt county on City data. We have had one of the warmest Augusts ever this year. When it hits the upper 70's and the humidity is close to 50%, it feels like the 90's. The ocean is cold here, but there are not too many people on the beaches, one can also drive on several of our beaches. It does not rain all the time, nor is it foggy all the time. If we did not have all the rain or fog, we would not be green and lush. There are parts of Eureka and Arcata that are nice, some with farmland and some that are not so nice, pretty much like many towns in California. May, June, September and October can and are often very nice here. It generally starts raining towards the end of October, lets up some in November, resumes in December into January, usually little rain in February, rains heavy in March and sometimes April. But it is usually pretty much dry from May to the end of October. I have lived here since February of 92 and that is generally the weather pattern. I would much rather have the cool coastal climate then the oppressive heat inland that can top well over 100, even hit 122 in Redding a few years ago. We got to 100 on May 15th of 2008 here in McKinleyville and hit 96 in Eureka on the same day. It can and does get hot here, just not as hot as inland. Think San Luis Obispo and that is much like here, but dryer.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
There is just too much bad rapping of Humboldt county on City data. We have had one of the warmest Augusts ever this year. When it hits the upper 70's and the humidity is close to 50%, it feels like the 90's. The ocean is cold here, but there are not too many people on the beaches, one can also drive on several of our beaches. It does not rain all the time, nor is it foggy all the time. If we did not have all the rain or fog, we would not be green and lush. There are parts of Eureka and Arcata that are nice, some with farmland and some that are not so nice, pretty much like many towns in California. May, June, September and October can and are often very nice here. It generally starts raining towards the end of October, lets up some in November, resumes in December into January, usually little rain in February, rains heavy in March and sometimes April. But it is usually pretty much dry from May to the end of October. I have lived here since February of 92 and that is generally the weather pattern. I would much rather have the cool coastal climate then the oppressive heat inland that can top well over 100, even hit 122 in Redding a few years ago. We got to 100 on May 15th of 2008 here in McKinleyville and hit 96 in Eureka on the same day. It can and does get hot here, just not as hot as inland. Think San Luis Obispo and that is much like here, but dryer.
It isn't just the weather, but that is a part of the concerns. Sure, for many the weather is fine, lots of people like Seattle as well, but most do not care for the rain and fog. You talked about this summer, one summer doesn't make up for 100s of other summers. Humboldt county has lots of problems, I would think even those who live there realize this. We lived there, we certainly could see the concerns many had. Everyplace has its strong points and is right for some, but it is only fair for people, who think of moving there to be forewarned. To be honest, we were forewarned by a family who lived there and loved it, they were right, it is only for a very few...

Nita

Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 13,358 times
Default Crescent City

Crescent City is the most beautiful area...whales...redwoods...farms..breathtaking views all over. Also, Trinidad is nice. My choice is C.C. It's off 101 which I think is why it is not a bigger tourist spot. Check it out. good luck! I'm moving back myself to the Grass Valley area from Maine..expensive but still nice. I'd move to CC in a heartbeat but family not there.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM

8 posts, read 22,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniejmoosecountry View Post
Crescent City is the most beautiful area...whales...redwoods...farms..breathtaking views all over. Also, Trinidad is nice. My choice is C.C. It's off 101 which I think is why it is not a bigger tourist spot. Check it out. good luck! I'm moving back myself to the Grass Valley area from Maine..expensive but still nice. I'd move to CC in a heartbeat but family not there.

We have been looking in this area. It sounds perfect. The ocean i'm looking for doesn't necessarily need to be swimable, more to look at, listen to, collect energy from. I understand the weather isn't what one would expect when thinking "california" but like I said i'm from Illinois. Where temperatures go below zero several months of the year, we have been snowed in, it floods horribly, then is followed by a terrible tornado season that lasts months and gets over 100 degrees many days during our ridiulously humid summers. If 80 is hot there, you won't hear me complaining, and fog and rain is nothing compared to snow. I guess the beauty of northern california is what i'm most attracted to, the problem is finding work and being able to afford the costs of living. We were also considering Maine (totally opposite I know), but not sure where is a good place to look.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
I would very much recommend Eureka/Arcata over Crescent City.

Nursing jobs pay very well in California as there is a general shortage. There are three big hospitals in the area, Mad River in Arcata, St Josephs in Eureka (largest) and Redwood Memorial in Fortuna (probably has best reputation). In addition there are a number of retirement and care facilities and a plethora of other medical businesses, particularly in Eureka. There is a large older population and one can live very well on a nursing salary. There are also always lower-paying jobs in in-home health, nursing facilities and the like. You can definitely make a living in this field in Humboldt County.

As for housing prices they are only expensive in Arcata in large part because of the University. Eureka is much more reasonable, check Trulia.com for example. This year there is a glut of housing as a result of speculation the past few years in California real estate. Nothing-special 2br houses can be bought for 200k in Eureka, which trust me, is very cheap for anywhere on the coast of California. 300k does you very well in this area.

I'd recommend renting at first. I realize you're from a part of the country where owning your house is "normal" at a much earlier age but in California this is really not the case. It will not be unusual for you to not own a home and I recommend getting to know the area for a few months to a year before deciding where to buy. There are dozens of little pockets of the region that are all accessible, nice and offer different amenities. For example Blue Lake, being inland from the coast, will be warmer. As you get comfortable and learn the lay of the land you will be glad you didn't buy before you got to know the area.

humboldt.craigslist.org is a good resource for rentals and to get an idea of cost. The prices there tend to be slightly higher than what you might find locally as it by nature caters to younger people from out of the area, particularly Humboldt State students. In general it is not difficult to support yourself even on low wages in the area.

As for crime it's not an issue at all.

A start for job listings would be home - Times-Standard Online which isn't much of a newspaper most days but don't judge the region by it, please! You might also check out caljobs.ca.gov which is the state job listing service.

Certain other "employment" opportunities abound although the ins-and-outs of those things won't be clear until you're actually living in the area.

To sum, it sounds to me like you want to be in the area for all the right reasons. I think you'll find the hardest part is getting there because after that it's really not too hard to find some kind of job that pays enough to cover your pretty reasonable rent while you look for something better. Minimum wage in California is $8/hr and two people can find a good place to live in Eureka for $500/month. It a'int San Francisco!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM

250 posts, read 737,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
I would very much recommend Eureka/Arcata over Crescent City.

Nursing jobs pay very well in California as there is a general shortage. There are three big hospitals in the area, Mad River in Arcata, St Josephs in Eureka (largest) and Redwood Memorial in Fortuna (probably has best reputation). In addition there are a number of retirement and care facilities and a plethora of other medical businesses, particularly in Eureka. There is a large older population and one can live very well on a nursing salary. There are also always lower-paying jobs in in-home health, nursing facilities and the like. You can definitely make a living in this field in Humboldt County.

As for housing prices they are only expensive in Arcata in large part because of the University. Eureka is much more reasonable, check Trulia.com for example. This year there is a glut of housing as a result of speculation the past few years in California real estate. Nothing-special 2br houses can be bought for 200k in Eureka, which trust me, is very cheap for anywhere on the coast of California. 300k does you very well in this area.

I'd recommend renting at first. I realize you're from a part of the country where owning your house is "normal" at a much earlier age but in California this is really not the case. It will not be unusual for you to not own a home and I recommend getting to know the area for a few months to a year before deciding where to buy. There are dozens of little pockets of the region that are all accessible, nice and offer different amenities. For example Blue Lake, being inland from the coast, will be warmer. As you get comfortable and learn the lay of the land you will be glad you didn't buy before you got to know the area.

humboldt.craigslist.org is a good resource for rentals and to get an idea of cost. The prices there tend to be slightly higher than what you might find locally as it by nature caters to younger people from out of the area, particularly Humboldt State students. In general it is not difficult to support yourself even on low wages in the area.

As for crime it's not an issue at all.

A start for job listings would be home - Times-Standard Online which isn't much of a newspaper most days but don't judge the region by it, please! You might also check out caljobs.ca.gov which is the state job listing service.

Certain other "employment" opportunities abound although the ins-and-outs of those things won't be clear until you're actually living in the area.

To sum, it sounds to me like you want to be in the area for all the right reasons. I think you'll find the hardest part is getting there because after that it's really not too hard to find some kind of job that pays enough to cover your pretty reasonable rent while you look for something better. Minimum wage in California is $8/hr and two people can find a good place to live in Eureka for $500/month. It a'int San Francisco!
Thanks. This is such a positive, and also well informed post.

Last edited by Morwyn_7; 09-17-2009 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: add and subtract
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California