Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 PM

726 posts, read 1,370,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Humboldt County is just to remote, to attract doctors and good medical care. It has always had this problem, and it will only get worse as the doctor shortage gets worse.

I know we had to leave Humboldt County back in mid 50s to get medical care for a son. That is why people from there have to go to Bay Area for good medical care and serious problems.
Do they normally DRIVE there for medical care... isn't that about 5 hours?

If I was rich (I am not), I think I'd like to live in Humboldt and have a small condo in San Fran for the big city stuff.

There must be a way to cast the net wide and find new docs who would love redwoods, ocean beaches, rivers, and all the other wonderful things about Humboldt? No?? I did note that the article stressed that docs in the area are over-worked... but if there was a way to ensure they only had to work a certain number of hours a month, seems like it would be paradise for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,628,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post

If I was rich (I am not), I think I'd like to live in Humboldt and have a small condo in San Fran for the big city stuff.

There must be a way to cast the net wide and find new docs who would love redwoods, ocean beaches, rivers, and all the other wonderful things about Humboldt? No?? I did note that the article stressed that docs in the area are over-worked... but if there was a way to ensure they only had to work a certain number of hours a month, seems like it would be paradise for some.
My aunt has an eye condition that requires she go to the Bay Area every few months. There's no physician in Eureka that can treat her.

My family had ties to the medical community there in the 1950s to 70s and keeping doctors was a problem back then. I think it's always been a problem. Eureka's population has effectively remained stagnant for 60 years, so it's not a really growing community. Arcata and McKinleyville, on the other hand, have grown quite a bit but they still are not exactly bustling metropolises.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
Quote:
Posted previously:

To me 5 hours is not possible unless you don't stop or slow down:

1) At stoplights and stop signs in all the small towns you are required to drive through
2) For any bathroom breaks
3) On the highway when you get behind the ubiquitous lumber trucks that you can't pass
4) For the multiple 15, 25 and 30 mph traffic zones on the incredibly numerous twists and turns in the roads
5) If you never get hungry
6) When caught in the ever-present traffic jams leaving or entering San Francisco from Marin County over the bridge
7) If you don't need gasoline
8) For any weather conditions like fog or rain (like that never happens)

I'll stick to my allowance of 8 hours to medical care in San Francisco, especially when transporting someone who's ill.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,760,101 times
Quote:
Hi Eureka1,

Thanks for you comment. Have you seen any signs that this may get better in the future? I've been reading about the improvements to the hospital -- new wing -- but don't know it this will translate into better medical care? I'm curious about the problems in the past and if they've been rectified.

Also, why Red Bluff? Looks like it would be hard to get there in the winter.
I can't give you a detailed account but I know that at one time their heart program was decertified. I've been in the new wing, not sure of its impact. Can't tell why Red Bluff, I've just heard people talk about having ops there. Not hard to get to in the winter. 299 is usually open and then it's a straight shot down I5. I think someone mentioned that a very recent issue of the North Coast Journal addressed the doctor shortage. I have no luck with links but they are definitely online.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:34 AM

726 posts, read 1,370,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Posted previously:

To me 5 hours is not possible unless you don't stop or slow down:

1) At stoplights and stop signs in all the small towns you are required to drive through
2) For any bathroom breaks
3) On the highway when you get behind the ubiquitous lumber trucks that you can't pass
4) For the multiple 15, 25 and 30 mph traffic zones on the incredibly numerous twists and turns in the roads
5) If you never get hungry
6) When caught in the ever-present traffic jams leaving or entering San Francisco from Marin County over the bridge
7) If you don't need gasoline
8) For any weather conditions like fog or rain (like that never happens)

I'll stick to my allowance of 8 hours to medical care in San Francisco, especially when transporting someone who's ill.
Might take me ten hours!

How about commuter flights? Do they exist? How expensive are they?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
$414. today, but can get over $700. near a big holiday...don't get sick near Christmas!

Flights - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California