Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
If that is true, that seems to be quite the opposite of most countries. Maybe we need to redefine poverty.
Most countries? from this article:

In Mexico and Brazil, for example, where overweight used to be a sign of wealth, it now often marks poverty.

Obesity: developing world's new burden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 04:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I love Southern cooking btw...except it looks like they should be doing some excercises after that great meal.

http://cdn.thefrisky.com/images/uplo...y_111110_m.jpg
that's it, the southern cooking. Last night we had a geens casarole, sort of a quiche: collard grreens, spinish, zucchini (spelling) oninos, garlic, eggs, cheese and 1/2 and 1/2. It was soooooo good and yes, so high in fat..(I reailly don't do this very often) but at least is wasn't home made and not out of a frozen box of some kind.

I am surprised, well not really, that NM was on the list of thinest, a few years ago Alburquerque was among the most fit cities in the country and yet, I think I knew more really fat people in NM than almost anyplace we have ever lived.

Nita

Old 11-12-2010, 04:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,266,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that's it, the southern cooking. Last night we had a geens casarole, sort of a quiche: collard grreens, spinish, zucchini (spelling) oninos, garlic, eggs, cheese and 1/2 and 1/2. It was soooooo good and yes, so high in fat..(I reailly don't do this very often) but at least is wasn't home made and not out of a frozen box of some kind.

I am surprised, well not really, that NM was on the list of thinest, a few years ago Alburquerque was among the most fit cities in the country and yet, I think I knew more really fat people in NM than almost anyplace we have ever lived.

Nita
Fat doesn't make you fat.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,668 times
It is not bad being a single guy in the south, we do have some gorgeous girls who are not overweight. We do have alot of overweight people. I wouldn't blame it on the fast food, it sheer laziness. Every large person i know except one, got that way from laziness and bad eating habits. It's not limited to the poor but largely effects the poor(no pun intended). I do enjoy the south but I can't wait to leave TN after I graduate this fall. Would love to move to Cali.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,405,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
A single, atheist, black man that is in shape

Imagine how fast they'd run me out.
...and if you were liberal...

Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
If that is true, that seems to be quite the opposite of most countries. Maybe we need to redefine poverty.
Not really when you think about it. It's because the poorer people can generally afford the unhealthy foods are it's often cheaper. More often however as someone else mentioned, there's just a lack of education in poor areas on healthy eating habits. More wealthy people not only buy better foods but can afford higher quality.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman2011 View Post
It is not bad being a single guy in the south, we do have some gorgeous girls who are not overweight. We do have alot of overweight people. I wouldn't blame it on the fast food, it sheer laziness. Every large person i know except one, got that way from laziness and bad eating habits. It's not limited to the poor but largely effects the poor(no pun intended). I do enjoy the south but I can't wait to leave TN after I graduate this fall. Would love to move to Cali.
Or exhaustion. That map roughly corresponds to some of the hottest places in the country. I'd be lazy too if I lived in a hot, humid place lol

Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,179,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Or exhaustion. That map roughly corresponds to some of the hottest places in the country. I'd be lazy too if I lived in a hot, humid place lol
Yeah but Arizona and Nevada get very hot and they are some of the slimmest.

The south and midwest states eat bbq and fat all day is why. Then they go home and plop onto the couch with a bucket of KFC.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,907 times
I'm impressed that only 1 in 4 people in California is obese.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,411,289 times
ITT, enlightened and tolerant Californians bash southerners because they're total losers with no lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California