Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM

312 posts, read 502,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
With the exception of the AZ law issue, I generally stay out of these illegal discussions. However, and others have known me to do this, when it comes to illegal immigration, I generally part ways with my fellow liberals.

I do believe that no country, the USA or any other can afford to allow illegal immigration to go unchecked. We're not the only place cracking down on illegals. Actually we're not really cracking down. France is simply rounding up Roma and others and deporting them. Italy and the UK have a big problem with eastern Europeans, especially Albanians and are also taking steps toward curbing that tide. It is in the best interest of all of us to really tackle this problem. I'm all for helping others but I don't see how we can help those less fortunate when we ourselves have been pushed to near the breaking point.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but on this issue, I'm largely on the other side.

And yes, it isn't just a Mexican Phenomenon. There are illegals from many different places.
I agree however I'm more extreme, I take the North Korea approach. Place landmines at the border, electric fenses and bring all the troops home and out of places like Germany and Korea and place them on the border. See who dares cross then. Also give those who sneak in 10 years had labor with no pay. Boost our economy and frighten people from coming here illegally. It's how it should be. But of course that won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
I don't know anyone IRL who supports illegal immigration here in CA. I don't know what this poll is supposed to be about but nobody is in favor of it. Some are just more hard nosed about it than others.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,286,314 times
The only difference between the far right and far left is that the far right is upfront about its intolerance. The left is just as intolerant of the right and/or American fundamentalism as the right is of the left. I think there are too many people in California, period. So every additional person is like an eyesore to me. I'm sure they are nice people but my opinion is that they should be nice in their own country.

Spin!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I'm sure they are nice people but my opinion is that they should be nice in their own country.
I, too, think it's much more interesting and rewarding to observe wildlife in their natural habitat. Ergo, if I want diversity I'd prefer to visit it there where it belongs in its pure form than have it "celebrated" here.

Pitchfork and torch concession is on the left! Rails, hot tar and feathers on the right!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,640,641 times
IMO, the primary dichotomy at work is while most the CA population - IMO - is at least somewhat opposed to illegal immigration, they're not so opposed to individual illegal immigrants, as many (myself included) know people who are definitely illegal and even more who may or may not be.

I'm personally for stricter border control and stricter immigration laws but am wholeheartedly against demonizing illegals - and find the hardliners' views of illegal immigrants as subhuman to be extremely odious and distasteful. They're people like everyone else. I am FOR deporting violent criminals and extremists who happen to be illegal but opposed to mass deportations (which will never happen anyways)

Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,049,936 times
I dont support illegal immigration cause they are here illegally. If they go the legal route, dont leave used diapers in their yards & flush their used toilet paper down the toilet then i dont have a problem with them.

Some yrs back in the highland/del rosa area of san bernardino i had illegal mexicans for neighbors & these dirtballs stole my mail & caused nothing but problems for me & other neighbors.

I moved shortly thereafter to a apt complex that didnt rent to illegals at that time. Five yrs later the 100+ apt complex was sold & illegals were permitted to move in. I moved to yucaipa within a yr. I will be here 12 yrs in jan & no illegals can move here.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,427,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm personally for stricter border control and stricter immigration laws but am wholeheartedly against demonizing illegals - and find the hardliners' views of illegal immigrants as subhuman to be extremely odious and distasteful. They're people like everyone else. I am FOR deporting violent criminals and extremists who happen to be illegal but opposed to mass deportations (which will never happen anyways)
Always the one that makes the most sense in these threads

Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
IMO, the primary dichotomy at work is while most the CA population - IMO - is at least somewhat opposed to illegal immigration, they're not so opposed to individual illegal immigrants, as many (myself included) know people who are definitely illegal and even more who may or may not be.

Yes they are. So, too, are pedophiles, murderers, thieves, drive-by shooters, gang-bangers, robbers, practitioners of fraud and the entire pantheon of law breakers. Isn't drawing the line at illegal immigrants bordering on racist?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,640,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes they are. So, too, are pedophiles, murderers, thieves, drive-by shooters, gang-bangers, robbers, practitioners of fraud and the entire pantheon of law breakers. Isn't drawing the line at illegal immigrants bordering on racist?
That's assuming that illegals are all of one race which they are not.

There is a difference between illegal immigration and violent felonies.
Do you ask everyone you meet with an accent if they're here legally or not? I highly doubt anyone does that.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times
I think much of the US, including CA, is "against" illegal immigration. I think most support far stronger border protection than we have today. Only a small percentage of the people think the US should ease immigration laws.

The bigger differences of opinion probably relate to what to do with illegals already here, and what kind of services can/should be provided by government to illegals.

I think deportation is impractical, and not really feasible. I think the US should dramatically strengthen the borders and continuously work to make the US less attractive to illegals. California is a "happy place" for illegals. The benefits are relatively rich. Jerry Brown even thinks illegals deserve assistance for college (which I think is absurd). When resources are precious - they must be reserved or biased towards legal residents, who pay the taxes that fund these universities.

I think over time, the jobs that illegals dominate now will be forced to pay higher wages, attracting more legal workers. Some goods will cost more - but that's OK and a fair price to pay for more employed LEGAL residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California