Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,413,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Not really. Conservatives are the ones who want to change the Constitution. They want to alter the 14th Amendment.

Conservatives want to rely on the "Rule of Law" only when it favors their viewpoint. This makes them exactly like Liberals and everyone else.
What does that have anything to do with following the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
This interesting survey just in (from LA Times). Overwhelming support for legals and illegals across the board.

Disclaimer: I am neither supporting nor condemning the conclusions of the survey ... my personal fascination lies with the apparent contradiction of this survey's results and the overwhelming anti-immigrant expressions I read on this California Forum (and other C-D Forums) ... indicating to me, once again, that this Forum does not reflect the State in many issues. I continue to wonder why the C-D Forum attracts more conservative commentary than liberal. This apparent reality says something about both conservatives and liberals -- but I can't quite put my finger on the "what" button?

Californians hold positive views of immigrants; most oppose deportation - Los Angeles Times
Remember (and I haven't read the article but I will) 1-it is the Los Angeles Times we are talking about, one of the most liberal papers in the country and 2-I am not totally surprised, Ca is one of the most liberal states with many illegals plus legals who have illegal family and friends living with them.

The way a question is asked will often determine the outcome, thus most surverys are biased, regardless of what side one is on. Add to that, most of us, regardless of our politically leaning do not like people who break the law, but we also realize you are not going to deport 12 to 20 million people. There has to be some compromise. (oh I have read the article now) and 2 years here isn't long enough to forgive and forget...That is nuts...

Calif do not share the views of all of our country may I add.

Nita

Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,980,350 times
Quote:
This interesting survey just in (from LA Times). Overwhelming support for legals and illegals across the board.

Disclaimer: I am neither supporting nor condemning the conclusions of the survey ... my personal fascination lies with the apparent contradiction of this survey's results and the overwhelming anti-immigrant expressions I read on this California Forum (and other C-D Forums) ... indicating to me, once again, that this Forum does not reflect the State in many issues. I continue to wonder why the C-D Forum attracts more conservative commentary than liberal. This apparent reality says something about both conservatives and liberals -- but I can't quite put my finger on the "what" button?

Californians hold positive views of immigrants; most oppose deportation - Los Angeles Times
Obviously a planted story by a liberal biased news outlet just before the liberals vote for amnesty and making the illegal’s legal during the lame duck session. I live in SoCal and I have heard no one supporting illegal immigration.

LA Times is known for pushing the liberal agenda.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,900 times
Illegal aliens are not immigrants - period. Illegal means illegal - helloooooo....

Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,915,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Illegal aliens are not immigrants - period. Illegal means illegal - helloooooo....
from Mirriam - Webster Dictionary:
Immigrant:
: one that immigrates: as a : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence

You disapprove, I take it, which is fine ... nevertheless, legal or not ...

Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,900 times
Quote:
Immigrant:
: one that immigrates: as a : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence

Pulling dictionary definintions out of context and using Orewellian euphamisms to reward bad behavior does not make it right.
Why should these folks be allowed to flout our immigration laws? What gives them the right to do that while others do not?

And I do not believe that the majority of Californians are on board with giving illeglas a wink and a nod. Not for a moment.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,413,089 times
Quote:
Immigrant:

I love it when people play the dictionary definition card, as though somehow employing this tactic will end the argument, no matter how far out of context it is.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,704,028 times
Quote:
Immigrant:

By that logic, let's do a definition for someone who happens to take up residence on your own front lawn without your say on the matter:

Definition of RESIDENT

a : living in a place for some length of time :

According to you, we wouldn't need to discuss the legality of it....

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
The problem with illegal immigration is that they strain our resources. If they weren't having anchor babies and going on welfare, then the question of legalization would be more like that of marijuana (i.e., why keep something illegal that's not a burden?) Illegal immigrants, primarily from Mexico, are a BURDEN. They have no skills and do nothing but suck the life out of everyone around them!

I am tired of feeling like a foreigner in my own country! MEXICANS GO HOME!!!
My wife is Mexican, my kids are half Mexican. My wife and kids were born here in California in the United States. They are home.My wifes family came here legally from Mexico. I understand your issue with illegal immigrants, including those from other nations besides Mexico. Funny how we pick on Mexicans when many of those that are here illegally are from Central and South America, Korea, even Canada and England of all places.

we have some friends that are here illegally. Their daughter is in our son's class. real sweet little family. At the same time they are a burden on this state. They get assistance, medical benefits, low cost housing, food stamps because guess what their four kids were born here in the good old USA. My wife has a completly differant outlook now that we have become friends with this family. In the past she held the view that illegals should be helped out. Who else would pick our Strawberries? Well guess what our "friends" are always in need and have this attitude that the United States owes them something. They have this attitude that we owe them something. We have helped them out several times and they seem to expect it now.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,423,981 times
With the exception of the AZ law issue, I generally stay out of these illegal discussions. However, and others have known me to do this, when it comes to illegal immigration, I generally part ways with my fellow liberals.

I do believe that no country, the USA or any other can afford to allow illegal immigration to go unchecked. We're not the only place cracking down on illegals. Actually we're not really cracking down. France is simply rounding up Roma and others and deporting them. Italy and the UK have a big problem with eastern Europeans, especially Albanians and are also taking steps toward curbing that tide. It is in the best interest of all of us to really tackle this problem. I'm all for helping others but I don't see how we can help those less fortunate when we ourselves have been pushed to near the breaking point.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but on this issue, I'm largely on the other side.

And yes, it isn't just a Mexican Phenomenon. There are illegals from many different places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California