Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,190,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Another excellent point and your last sentence is probably a big reason why immigrants, legal or not, are supported by most out here.

Latinos are often thought of when the phrase illegal immigration is spoken. However LA and SF both have a lot of illegals from Asian countries, Chinese illegals are especially prevalent in the Bay Area.
Quite a few illegals from S. Korea have popped up in the media lately, and I've met illegals from Israel, England and Canada before.

Look at the guy who crashed his Ferrari on PCH. He was a business owner from somewhere like Denmark and they arrested him on immigration charges!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,634,704 times
Im sure that the vast majority of Californians have no problem with immigration--that's not the problem. The problem is ILLEGAL immigration.

I don't like when pro-illegal people try to merge the two as if they are one in the same because they most certainly are not.

I see no problem in putting undocumented people who have otherwise been law-abiding residents on a path to legal status--but I would like to see the undocumented felons deported asap.

If we need cheap labor like in agriculture, then we can provide work visas for people from other countries to come here and work and then go home when we don't need them anymore. They get a lot of money compared to what they would make at home and we get the service they provide. That's a win-win as far as Im concerned.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,430,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I see no problem in putting undocumented people who have otherwise been law-abiding residents on a path to legal status--but I would like to see the undocumented felons deported asap.
This I completely agree with

Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,705,236 times
I support immigration, but not illegal immigration. As I said in another thread, deporting the millions of existing illegal immigrants would be a logistical nightmare for everyone involved. Do we uproot those who have already established lives here in this country and deport them back to their country of origin or do we let them stay and pay back some of the taxes?

Something's gotta give because we can't keep sustaining illegal immigrants.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,532,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ah! ... well, your response would indicate a conservative view, I'd say ... and, without me passing any judgment on your point of view, let me say your response is, in any event, exactly a case in point of what intrigues me: first comment on the survey on this C-D California Forum is conservative ... yet the State at large apparently holds an overwhelming liberal position. Note that the survey reports strongly favorable majority support for illegals, as well as legal immigrants.
Perhaps that response is not so much "conservative" as it is the response from one who values this country's laws, sovereigncy and the unique culture that made it great and is not in favor of those who ignore or try to devalue all three in ther name of progressiveness and enlightenment. That California becomes increasingly out of step with much of the rest of the country is all too sadly obvious. While some of that "innovation" has born positive results is undeniable but at the end of the day, look at the mess it's in now.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,370,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hmm ... Well, I am curious as to why you doubt the survey reflects the majority in the face of the reporting. Do you say this simply because it is not your own, personal, empirical experience: "I know very few people in real life that feel any differently ...", or because you have other evidence to support your feeling? Question -- not argument here.
Because I just don't believe that the majority would support Illegal Imagration, why would they? It costs the state money in support and no real return, It packs the hospitals and raises the price of our medical because they don't pay for services rendered, Illegal is a no win situation.
Thats why. I think the people of Ca are smarter than to support Illegal imagration.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,190,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I support this too.

We need to create a path to citizenship for those who have not broken other laws, particularly if they have lived here a long time or have a "blended" family. I can't see deporting them.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The state is neither overwhelmingly liberal or conservative. What we have is both parties are in the 40% + range with a lot of additional people in smaller parties or that vote across lines

What does it matter if an illegal comes from Latin America, China, Canada, or anywhere else? For those that break the law they need to be deported. Why is it so hard to understand? Kind of a slap in the face to those people who did it the right way don't you think?

It *is* a slap in the face to those who are trying to obtain legal status here in this country. Many have to wait in line for months or years to get approval to get legal status, yet illegals simply cross our nation's border and get a free pass.

Oddly enough, some folks here don't have a problem with it.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM

767 posts, read 1,746,014 times
Immigration is used synonymously with illegal immigration. The two are equated. That's highly problematic because the former actually involves a process involving the Customs depart ment to screen who's coming into this country- does the individual have a criminal background?- and Naturalization department to acclimate those people to living in this country.

The latter involves just anyone entering the country, no matter what their background or how ignorant they are.

That's problematic because the rest of use find ourselves living among people who came here illegally, don't speak English, don't pay taxes and who use our hospitals and public schools all while demanding that we give them those services in their native language.

It's unsurprising that the biggest supporters of illegal immigrants are those who culturally identify with them. That's a bias if there ever was one.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,918,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps that response is not so much "conservative" as it is the response from one who values ... .
etc. ... Okay, semi-fair enough observation ... certainly there are 'liberals' who object similarly ... however, so far, as you all can read, the responses on this post run overwhelmingly counter to the survey results -- which results include illegal immigrant status acceptance.

That is intriguing, no?

Thus, despite Roaddog's insistence, for example, that he "just [doesn't] believe that the majority would support Illegal Imagration (sic), ..." and that he "... [thinks] the people of Ca are smarter than to support Illegal imagration (sic)" -- apparently the majority of Californians do not, in fact agree with him.

And, once again, please do not assume my position on the matter: my interest remains in the dichotomy of Forum political postings running counter to State voting history and statistically professional polling. My position personally is likely not a bit what any might presume and I won't interject at this time. I am not arguing in favor of illegal immigrants -- nor against.

Why, overwhelmingly, this dichotomy of response/survey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California