Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:44 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times

Advertisements

As many have already mentioned, the over-crowding is the main thing.
Go to the store, long line.
Try to get some general ed done at the local CC, waitlist for classes and tutoring.
And lets not mention the obvious traffic and DMV problems.
Granted I ride a bicycle, but when the surface streets have more lanes and faster traffic, ugh.

Last, but not least, I've been wanting to get into shooting as a hobby.
10day waiting period for all arms, registration /limits on ammunition, then the lack of open areas to shoot without having residents in the outer vicinity getting scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
I didnt necessarily want to leave, but left at a young age for a change of pace and adventure. Texas was and is booming and it seemed in line with my carreer. There is truth in everything mentioned in previous posts, but I miss California immensely.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Why do you want to move out of California? If you've already moved away what were your reasons for leaving California? Just curious...Thanks.
We originally left because of a job change which took us to Wash DC. We choose not to return for several reasons: the state was leaning liberal, the cost of living was high and we had grown accustom to 4 true seasons. Plus our kids were growing up and they too, were leaving.

The hardest part about our decision was not seeing our friends as often.
After all these years, of course there are things we miss and everytime we return (usually once or twice a year) I enjoy the few days we are there, but then I am ready to leave.

Nita

Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
As a NC native....I kind of understand why people want to leave California...but not really......Yes..housing is very expensive there and cheap in NC...but take it from a 30 something that has lived in NC her whole life..... I would take Cali over NC anyday... California has diversity, culture, great weather/picturesque beaches plus sun and palm trees help.... I have met people at my job that relocated here from CA... they say its not all what it is cracked up to be....Yes..I own my own home and Im blessed to have a job...but....I suffer from sheer boredom....Fingers crossed and once I get that proverbial thing called a JOB...NC will be nothing but a memory......California or ARizona..here i come.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
oh geeze here we go again.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:52 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
I left coastal LA County (South Bay) after living there the first 40 years of my life. With the birth of our third child things had gotten too crazy, crowded and expensive. After visiting my wife's sister and her husband in Denver we decided to give Colorado a go. Sometimes its nice just to get out and explore other parts of the country.

However after living in CO for time we began to miss many of the things the West Coast offers, much of which we took for granted while living here. So we eventually decided to move back, but to a much less crowded part of the state along the Central Coast. Now we have the best of both worlds - wide open spaces, less crowds, traffic, slower pace, beautiful scenery, coastal California (Big Sur, Monterey Bay), multicultural environment/foods, CA produce, access to LA, SF, SJ when we want to visit them, access to the High Sierras (Yosemite, Mammoth, Sequoias), the best weather - 60s-70s year round, snow when we want to 'visit it' just a drive away in the Sierras as well as Fall colors, extended Spring Season with plants that can be grown pretty much year round, etc...

But yes, exploring other parts of the country is enjoyable. We don't regret leaving for a time. And now we appreciate things even more upon return. The only real downside is the cost of admission. Real estate will always be prime which we knew and accepted upon return.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-04-2010 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
I don't get why people say it's too crowded. There are many areas in California to go where it isn't crowded. Obviously if you live right in the city then of course it will be crowded!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:06 AM

123 posts, read 405,520 times
I want out as a business owner because the state/city do nothing but come up with new ways to tax and penalize me for being in business.

I want out as a father because I want my boys to be able to learn to love the outdoors without worrying about the criminals and perverts who fill the news.

I want out for myself because I value freedom, and this state keeps taking that away one chip at a time.

As a 40 year native I am very disappointed in my home state. I have no hope that the situation will reverse itself. Those who have taken over are the popular party. I am not wanted here. It's a shame to see the direction things are going, but I can't change it. Better to go where I do fit in. At least I still have the freedom to do that.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
A huge difference between CA and where we are now, a difference I cherish, just came to me this weekend. First of all, Happy 4th of July, America, and all of you.

In CA, fireworks sales and available variety are strictly curtailed by law. During the relatively short period of time they're available, sales are made behind wire barriers requiring you to select, unhandled from displays you can see through the wire. It occurred to me that this isn't much different from banks in which you transact your business with tellers who are behind bullet proof glass or other clear substance.

In MO, fireworks are available year-round in specialty stores and the variety is extensive and hearty. Most would be banned in CA. Rather than standing in line to transact business a few at a time through slots in the wire enclosures, non-profit and community vendors set up large, open tents and have tables stacked with an awesome variety of fireworks through which you move freely looking at and selecting precisely what you want. Then you take your purchases to another table and pay for them. The booths begin opening two to three weeks before the holiday.

To me, this is indicative of the freedom we're celebrating today.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I don't get why people say it's too crowded. There are many areas in California to go where it isn't crowded. Obviously if you live right in the city then of course it will be crowded!
I know. For me, "moving out of CA" would basicaly be "moving somewhere else in CA". LOL. Can see the point of many people who live in crowded, expensive places but there are less crowded and less expensive places within the state. I guess you can get more for your money in other parts of the country but the tradeoffs are too big for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California