Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Actually the current pay structure is in alignment between Costco and Walmart for their CEOs.

Walmart revenue: 447 billion

Costco revenue: 71.4 billion

Walmart has revenues over 6x Costco (6.2x to be exact)

Walmart CEO: 18.1 million

Costco CEO: 3.35 million

Walmart CEO makes 5.4x times Costco CEO.

Seems in alignment to me.
By that logic Walmart employees should also be making 5.4 times what similar Costco employees make. You now have proven, by your own logic, how unfair WalMart is to its people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
By that logic Walmart employees should also be making 5.4 times what similar Costco employees make. You now have proven, by your own logic, how unfair WalMart is to its people!
Good catch.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
I was unaware Walmart employees were in charge of the entire company.

Again, read the article.

Why Can

Employees per square feet of retail space:

Walmart 1 per 335 feet
Costco 1 per 600 feet

Costco runs a warehouse style business (nobody is needed to unload and stock merchandise onto shelves). Walmart does not.

They are two completely different businesses.

Cut Walmart employment in half and give the remaining employees the extra $9.81/hr. The average Walmart employee would then make $19.82 compared to $17.50 at Costco.

Of course then we would have 700,000 people without jobs.

So the question is...what is better for the economy? 50 people that make $17.50 an hour or 100 people that make $9.81 per hour?

My math tells me Walmart puts more money per man hour into the economy (as it employs 2 individuals per 670 sq. ft. compared to 1 every 600 sq. ft).

Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
If 80% (almost) of WalMart workers accept some form of government subsidy, then our tax dollars are subsidizing the company and it's investors for underpaying staff. The only way that they can get away with this is that the economy is in the toilet.
It's not only Wal-Mart employees that are losing money. The middle class is fast becoming the underclass due to tactics like these.

The days of good raises are over; most of us haven't had one in 8 or 10 years. Certainly not enough to keep up with rising costs. Yet the companies are making more profit than ever.

I guess they won't be happy until there is NO middle class and the entire economy goes down the drain. The middle class is the real producer class ~ everyone wants a piece of our spending pie.

If things stay the way they are - with companies making obscene profits and NONE OF THEM trickling down ~ this economy will go nowhere continue to go down.

So much for trickle down. The big businesses got tons of tax breaks to help the economy - instead they only rewarded themselves. They will continue to do so until there is nothing left.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Mizz, sounds like you missed the point made above. If Walmart is so profitable, much more than Costco, why can't they pay their employees enuf that they don't qualify for medicaid and food stamps?

No, I'd rather every company paid a better wage to all their employees. If that means they need to lay off a few at least that means a few end up on the public dole instead of most of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I was unaware Walmart employees were in charge of the entire company.

Again, read the article.

Why Can

Employees per square feet of retail space:

Walmart 1 per 335 feet
Costco 1 per 600 feet

Costco runs a warehouse style business (nobody is needed to unload and stock merchandise onto shelves). Walmart does not.

They are two completely different businesses.

Cut Walmart employment in half and give the remaining employees the extra $9.81/hr. The average Walmart employee would then make $19.82 compared to $17.50 at Costco.

Of course then we would have 700,000 people without jobs.

So the question is...what is better for the economy? 50 people that make $17.50 an hour or 100 people that make $9.81 per hour?

My math tells me Walmart puts more money per man hour into the economy (as it employs 2 individuals per 670 sq. ft. compared to 1 every 600 sq. ft).

Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Mizz, sounds like you missed the point made above. If Walmart is so profitable, much more than Costco, why can't they pay their employees enuf that they don't qualify for medicaid and food stamps?

No, I'd rather every company paid a better wage to all their employees. If that means they need to lay off a few at least that means a few end up on the public dole instead of most of them.
Revenue /= Profit.

Not sure why Walmart gets all the press. Look at Target, which is very similar to Walmart (Unlike Costco which for some reason you keep bringing up). Target Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

Cashier: 8 dollars an hour no different than Walmart. Sales Floor Team Member 8.28 an hour. Very similar to Walmart.

It's not as if Walmart is exploiting people. Show me a company besides Costco that pays a middle class wage to a cashier upon hiring or soon thereafter. I worked for a unionized grocery store for 8 years and my ending pay was $9.75 an hour. I'm not sure where you and others got it in your head that cashiers and stockers at grocery stores or retail stores were supposed to be making 15-20 dollars an hour within a year, but that just isn't the case (the average cashier is employed for less than a year).

Walmart does pay good wages to people that stay with the company beyond frontline. My cousin makes 40k + bonus which typically puts him over 50k and he is just a zone manager (lives in a low cost of living city in the midwest).

I know people that work for WM that make way more than 50k.

Stockers and cashiers are not careers, they never were. I'm not sure why people think they should pay like a career all of the sudden.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Quote:
The 12 biggest companies paying workers the least

With the Great Recession over, not only are many of the companies posting record profits, but executive pay remains extremely high.Meantime, the federal minimum wage earned by many workers at those companies is worth 30% less than it was in 1968 in purchasing power
. . .

With jobs so hard to get, an employee cannot quit, so most just tough it out, but some, like Walmart employees, are starting to strike.
This article is horribly deceptive. It lists nothing about the Average Pay per employee. How are we supposed to take this seriously without financial info to back up its claims? It shows revenues and net profits, etc. Nothing about employee pay though. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Agreed

Most workers at union shops seem to think so. What skill does a union grocery store checker have a WM checker doesn't.
Actually grocery checkers are certainly expected to work harder than your average walmart checker. Grocery checkers have to memorize the produce codes. Also, they are expected to be as fast and efficient as possible. The average grocery list is at least 25 items. Whereas the average amount of items purchased at Walmart is probably 5. I feel like I worked much much harder at the local grocery store than I ever did at any sort of general retail store.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
This article is horribly deceptive. It lists nothing about the Average Pay per employee. How are we supposed to take this seriously without financial info to back up its claims? It shows revenues and net profits, etc. Nothing about employee pay though. Am I missing something?

Actually grocery checkers are certainly expected to work harder than your average walmart checker. Grocery checkers have to memorize the produce codes. Also, they are expected to be as fast and efficient as possible. The average grocery list is at least 25 items. Whereas the average amount of items purchased at Walmart is probably 5. I feel like I worked much much harder at the local grocery store than I ever did at any sort of general retail store.

I have to agree with this- grocery stores have a lot of structure in place- rings per minute,,etc..
walmart cashiers I feel sorry for,,,because by the time the customers get to them,,they are pissed off from waiting in line so long

Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

Walmart is not very profitable. Where are you getting that from?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Profit does not dictate wages. Job qualifications do. WalMart pays people what they are worth. Have you been to either store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business