Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,699,244 times

Advertisements

It's all about supply and demand. There are unemployed people waiting in line for these jobs, so why should employers pay them more? If you were hiring someone to paint your house and 50 painters show up, wouldn't you take the lowest bidder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It's all about supply and demand. There are unemployed people waiting in line for these jobs, so why should employers pay them more? If you were hiring someone to paint your house and 50 painters show up, wouldn't you take the lowest bidder?
Actually no. If I want a good finish that isn't going to start peeling off in 6 months. I will write appropriate specs and hire the best qualified contractor. Level of the bids is secondary.

Who you want? You want a chronic drug addict (and his buddies) for $6 an hour under the table or a well qualified professional for $20 an hour?

Who would you hire as a nanny?

The only thing WRONG with this country is that it was built by the low bidder.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
I hope I dont offend anyone, but if you work at Wal-Mart, how much do you expect to make? Should a Wal-Mart worker with limited skills make the same as a skilled worker?
My question to you; who defines what a "skilled" worker is? Besides you do realize that illegals and foreign nationals are being either brought in or hired abroad to do these "skilled" jobs you talk about that everybody should be trying to get, right?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is a class warfare thread. I'm sick of people attacking successful people. Notice it is a select rich people who are actually encouraging class welfare. Why is that.. what is in it for them?

When is the president going to be done pitting americans against each other. If people want better pay then go to school to get skills that is worth more pay.

Why is it someone else's responsibility to make me rich?
Cosco is successful, why can they find the budget for higher wages and actually show a better bottom line? Pay a honest wage and you will get hardworking workers, and you will have less theft and better worker retention (lower training costs).

I guess you're saying poor ppl with bad educations need to ask mom and dad for money to buy an education... Problem solved.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM

415 posts, read 615,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's how they manage to stay the biggest companies. If they paid more they would not be making as much money for their investors, and would have to either close stores or reduce staff. If these minimum wage employees could get a better job they would, without these employers they would be out of work.
No, they stay the biggest companies by paying almost nothing AND directing their workers to the nearest government office to get welfare, food stamps, and medicaid.

What, you really thought people lived off of minimum wage? A lot of people on the dole actually do work, but can't get a job that will get them off the dole.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM

78 posts, read 136,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Most of those jobs are low skill. Really, how much do you expect to be paid for standing at a cash register that does all your thinking for you, and all you have to do is press the pretty picture?

A portion of our electoral feel that a company owes the worker a living wage based on their needs.

This is not only wrong but only gives us more lower skilled workers who do not want to learn the skills needed to make more money.

I read they want min wage to go to 11.50 per hour.

A clerk at Wal Mart is not worth 11.50 per hour.

Flipping burgers is not a skill and does not demand 11.50 per hour.

Like I was told at 19 years old by an older man at the job I was working while going to college, if you do not like the money you are making do something about it so you will be attractive to employers who are willing to pay you more. He said not only do you need a degree but you also need other skills with it.

If you do no like the money you are making then do not accept the job. If you have skills that you feel demand a higher wage then you should be able to find a job paying more money. If not, then you dont have the skills to be rewarded more money or dont have the skills to search for the job that does.

No one is forced to work at a job they do not like or feel underpaid.

Wendys has a sign out hiring 11.75 per hour, night shift, 4 to close.

Sign has been in the same spot for weeks. What is wrong with those people who want to make more money? Dont want to work night shift.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM

29,811 posts, read 24,891,001 times
These companies are retail/restaurant/fast food. Very tiny profit margins. The problem is folks with more to offer are ending up with these types of jobs because their skills cannot be utilized in this economy. We're also churning out plenty of college grads with no jobs to be found. Very bad situation. Expect to see the middle class to continue to erode... Keep buying China

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Agreed

Most workers at union shops seem to think so. What skill does a union grocery store checker have a WM checker doesn't.
Most union grocery store workers don't make any more than non union, and they have the added benefit of being forced to pay union dues. Wouldn't say they are getting their monies worth...

Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM

29,811 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Strand-Family View Post
Flipping burgers is not a skill and does not demand 11.50 per hour.
Actually, they don't flip the burgers anymore. McDonalds figured out if you make the job simple enough, you can hire damn near anyone, for damn near any wage. That logic has been applied to many other sectors of the economy. Reduce the need for skills, and you can reduce your labor expenses. If not that, than find ways to eliminate jobs. It's all in the name of competition. Hire one skilled guy, make him do the work of three people and pay him 20% more. Seems to be quite an effective strategy. In this economy, you can push a worker to the brink and squeeze every last ounce of productivity out of them... And they will tolerate it.

Recession over??? Not if your a working class American. Wages down, productivity up, record corporate profits... And people like to pretend America is no longer competitive...

Still waiting for my trickle down...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
The government just ends up subsidizing the low wages in the form of entitlements. These entitlements allow for wage demand to be suppressed. Remove entitlements, and wages will either go up, or prices will come down.

My opinion is that corporations are pushing this entitlement stuff to keep wage demand down. The low wage earners become a burden and a necessity for society; a burden because they do need to be taken care of; a necessity because they are one pillar on which the economy functions.

The "get a better job" is BS. The economy is a pyramid, there will never be high wage jobs for everyone, the economy just cannot function like that. Low wage labor is part of the functioning economy, low wage labor is what assist in others becoming wealthy.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Cosco is successful, why can they find the budget for higher wages and actually show a better bottom line? Pay a honest wage and you will get hardworking workers, and you will have less theft and better worker retention (lower training costs).

I guess you're saying poor ppl with bad educations need to ask mom and dad for money to buy an education... Problem solved.

Walk into a Costco and then a Walmart. Costco is clean, fast paced and everyone is hustling. Walmart seems like it is in slow motion, lots of employees but not too many sweating from hustling all day like the Costco ones do. But then again look at the shoppers of the two stores. Walmart shoppers actually have their own website: Funny Pictures at WalMart

Costco shoppers are there for buying, in/out quick and they spend a lot of money per trip. Heck you even have to pay to shop there (membership). Walmart....well look at the pics and you decide WTF they are doing there! I couldn't imagine Walmart asking shoppers to buy a membership!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business