Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Costco shoppers are there for buying, in/out quick and they spend a lot of money per trip. Heck you even have to pay to shop there (membership). Walmart....well look at the pics and you decide WTF they are doing there! I couldn't imagine Walmart asking shoppers to buy a membership!
Ever heard of Sams Warehouse ? Walmart has Costco type operations and do charge a fee to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
They are two completely different retail stores.

Here's a great article on that topic.

Why Can

looks like the CEO makes a little more than 400k.

Stock Quotes & Company News | Reuters.com

1st article notes at the bottom that new CEO makes double what the outgoing CEO at Costco made

Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Actually the current pay structure is in alignment between Costco and Walmart for their CEOs.

Walmart revenue: 447 billion

Costco revenue: 71.4 billion

Walmart has revenues over 6x Costco (6.2x to be exact)

Walmart CEO: 18.1 million

Costco CEO: 3.35 million

Walmart CEO makes 5.4x times Costco CEO.

Seems in alignment to me.
Per store revenue would be a better measures and I'm thinking your counting stock option for Costco but not for Walmart... Verify????

Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Per store revenue would be a better measures and I'm thinking your counting stock option for Costco but not for Walmart... Verify????
I used fiscal year total for both CEOs

I don't think per store is an accurate comparison because we are talking about as a percentage of total business. CEOs are responsible for an entire organization, whether that is 3 stores or 10k stores.

Now if you want to talk about which company makes more per store (a form of competitive analysis) that may make sense, but that isn't really relevant for CEO pay.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I used fiscal year total for both CEOs

I don't think per store is an accurate comparison because we are talking about as a percentage of total business. CEOs are responsible for an entire organization, whether that is 3 stores or 10k stores.

Now if you want to talk about which company makes more per store (a form of competitive analysis) that may make sense, but that isn't really relevant for CEO pay.
No, per store revenue is a good metric, revenue per sq ft is even better. If a company is making more per square foot they are using the resources better. Hence, the CEO should be rewarded better.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Quote:
I deal with reality, everyone isn't equally qualified. There are hundreds of factors to consider in hiring, on both sides, money should never be your first or only metric. Unless you like hiring, training, hiring, training, it is best to take a long term view. I have been on both sides of maybe a hundred job interviews, no two went the same. Every person is different and it is the skill of finding an employee who will fit the job today and can help grow your business and grow themselves. Going for the "low bidder" invites failure. Cosco vs Sam's Club is a perfect example. Cosco pays more, hires long term and has a happy any motivated workforce. Sam's, not so much.
Everyone is qualified to flip burgers, but not everyone is qualified to be the CEO of Burger King. What you are arguing is contradictory to what the OP argued. Jobs that require no experience go to the lowest bidder; jobs that require the greatest experience go to the highest bidder (because they are the most experienced).

Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
No, per store revenue is a good metric, revenue per sq ft is even better. If a company is making more per square foot they are using the resources better. Hence, the CEO should be rewarded better.
They are two different businesses. It would be like comparing Amazon to Target. Comparing Sam's and Costco in that fashion may make sense, but you are suggesting a comparison between apples and oranges. Read the article I posted a few pages earlier.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Everyone is qualified to flip burgers, but not everyone is qualified to be the CEO of Burger King. What you are arguing is contradictory to what the OP argued. Jobs that require no experience go to the lowest bidder; jobs that require the greatest experience go to the highest bidder (because they are the most experienced).
Well, I'd differ with you there. At any level ability, experience and education improve job performance. A "burger flipper" that has a high rejection rate isn't properly placed. I know someone that is a very capable worker, until you ask them to calculate change at a register. They have what I'll describe as "currency dyslexia", even when the register tells them what change to give they have trouble determining which coins and bills to select to make that change. Is she "interchangeable" with anyone else? Nope.

Actually, there are millions, maybe tens of millions, of ppl that are more than qualified to be a ceo at any corporation in this country, but they will never reach that level becuz of limited opportunities. It is a bit like a good old boyz club with failed CEO's moving from one golden parachute to another. Hostess burned thru, what, 9 CEO's in 12 years????

Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
I hope I dont offend anyone, but if you work at Wal-Mart, how much do you expect to make? Should a Wal-Mart worker with limited skills make the same as a skilled worker?
If 80% (almost) of WalMart workers accept some form of government subsidy, then our tax dollars are subsidizing the company and it's investors for underpaying staff. The only way that they can get away with this is that the economy is in the toilet.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If 80% (almost) of WalMart workers accept some form of government subsidy, then our tax dollars are subsidizing the company and it's investors for underpaying staff. The only way that they can get away with this is that the economy is in the toilet.
Speaking of toilets, I have been told that Walmart employees provide their own toilet paper, tissues, soap and hand sanitizers. Not sure if that is true, if it is, that is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business