Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,080,904 times

Advertisements

He slams obama as anti-business.

Says obama's business policies are Robinhood-esque.

"We know what his instincts are ... he is anti business," Buckley said in an interview that ran late Sunday.

"There is a sense among companies that [the U.S.] is a difficult place to do business," he told the FT. "We've got a real choice between manufacturing in Canada or Mexico -- which tend to be more pro-business -- and America."

Therein lies that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,382,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He slams obama as anti-business.

Says obama's business policies are Robinhood-esque.

"We know what his instincts are ... he is anti business," Buckley said in an interview that ran late Sunday.

"There is a sense among companies that [the U.S.] is a difficult place to do business," he told the FT. "We've got a real choice between manufacturing in Canada or Mexico -- which tend to be more pro-business -- and America."

Therein lies that problem.
He's right.The US needs more pro-business policies, quickly !

Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,559,078 times
Quote:
I for one have been struggling to get help with starting a new business. This isn't my first business, so I know what I need. But, I'm having a very difficult time getting help.

One of the most recent small business agency contacts I made all but told me to go jump in a lake.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,080,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I for one have been struggling to get help with starting a new business. This isn't my first business, so I know what I need. But, I'm having a very difficult time getting help.

One of the most recent small business agency contacts I made all but told me to go jump in a lake.
I meet small business owners every day.

It's amazing that anyone wants to go through it.

From the state, to the local townships, I hear horror stories.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,374,212 times
A big problem is that nobody wants to provide liquidity to start up a business. Obama can't help that.

But what Obama can do is influence policy to provide a more streamlined, easy process to start a business and not have outrageous taxes on small business owners when many large conglomerates don't pay any taxes due to what amounts to kickbacks.

Personally, I think the 3M CEO is just talking hot air and maybe his corporation had to pay 1% or whatever on their income.

But you can't ignore small business opinions. Something like 70% of small business owners said Obama has a D rating when it comes to supporting business.

But then again, the recession has a lot to do with this. So I don't know how much of that is colored by economic factors outside his control.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,562,388 times
Quote:

Any specifics?

SBA just backed us for a lot of zeros.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Any specifics?

Quote:
I for one have been struggling to get help with starting a new business. ....
^^^ New Business, I have not seen SBA backing for New Business, need to find friends, family, or a benevolent Community Revolving Fund.

Quote:
It's amazing that anyone wants to go through it.
From the state, to the local townships, I hear horror stories.
True, States and Feds are a serious 'disincentive' RULEs, more rules, more taxes - gonna get worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
A big problem is that nobody wants to provide liquidity to start up a business. Obama can't help that. <<< Oh but he CAN help that, and should have at his first round ARRA !

But you can't ignore small business opinions. Something like 70% of small business owners said Obama has a D rating when it comes to supporting business.
... I don't know how much of that is colored by economic factors outside his control.
OB has filled his finance staff with poorly qualified and questionable characters - nothing new, but definately wrong folks for this season. A Smart business person could be effective, politics are failing USA. Today's politicians have never had a job or run a SUCCESSFUL business. They have a 2 yr 'gravy-train' and 'kickback' mindset. They would never have the stamina or creative resources to run a business. IIRC, this is quite different than politics in early USA (politicians were on donated time from SUCCESSFUL business owners)... They needed to get their politicking done and get back to the farm / work. Where have we gone wrong? It is all a numbers game now. Politicians find the areas of highest population and saturate it with schmooze. Rural folks and businesses have little or no representation in Gov. USA is Broken. (EDU, Politics, Medical, economic sustainability)

Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for 7 zeros and a number between 5 and 9 in the front.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Oops... Forgot to say congrats and good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,374,212 times
Quote:
I'm looking for 7 zeros and a number between 5 and 9 in the front.
Sounds like you need to reach out more broadly and market your business case to venture capitalists rather than the small business associations. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business