Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Ineffeicencies in the private business doesnt hurt anyone but themselves unlike inefficiencies in the government, which does nothing but feed off the people.
Inefficiencies in the private sector can certainly hurt people, I have no idea why you believe they can't. You put your life in the hands of private businesses all the time.

Expecting the government to do what private industry can't doesn't make much sense. Government workers are not superman, they will never be superman. Yet, a nation needs a government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

764 posts, read 1,557,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Inefficiencies in the private sector can certainly hurt people, I have no idea why you believe they can't. You put your life in the hands of private businesses all the time.

Expecting the government to do what private industry can't doesn't make much sense. Government workers are not superman, they will never be superman. Yet, a nation needs a government.
Your right, a nation needs a government, but they are a neccessary evil and they need to be checked regularly. Do you disaggree? Why do you let your feathers get ruffled any time someone talks about simplifying the system. Isnt simpler better? Is is your pure idealogy or something else that causes you to defend the government, the one group that doesnt need defending? I dont know and i doubt you would answer honestly.

The government is ever expanding its power and influence over us and it wont ever stop. Thats what governments do, they get bigger and stronger and more controlling. The only way to slow them is to check them every once in a while, which is the current mood of the country. When is it enough? Do you want the government telling us how to live our lives? I bolded that because i want you to actually answer that question. Eventually the government will tell us where to go and what to eat and everything in between, hell it already is in a lot of ways. And they will use the same line they always do, "its whats best for you", and "if you have nothing to hide then theres nothing to fear." Will you still be defending them when it gets to that point, i believe you will.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Why do you let your feathers get ruffled any time someone talks about simplifying the system.
You're not talking ab out "simplifying the system", you're talking about getting rid of regulations. I have no problem with regulatory reform that seeks to streamline regulations.

Quote:
Do you want the government telling us how to live our lives? I bolded that because i want you to actually answer that question. Eventually the government will tell us where to go and what to eat and everything in between, hell it already is in a lot of ways.
Nope, but the biggest supporters of government intrusion into one's lives are the very people that are responsible for the "current mood". They advocate for spending cuts, a reduction in regulations while also trying to dedicate who should able to marry who, what you should learn in school, what you can put in your body, etc.

Business regulations don't tell me how I should live my life, they prevent businesses from causing harm to the community.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He slams obama as anti-business.

Says obama's business policies are Robinhood-esque.

"We know what his instincts are ... he is anti business," Buckley said in an interview that ran late Sunday.

"There is a sense among companies that [the U.S.] is a difficult place to do business," he told the FT. "We've got a real choice between manufacturing in Canada or Mexico -- which tend to be more pro-business -- and America."

Therein lies that problem.
While I do not agree with Obama with the bailouts, if anything he is pro-business as the Wall St bailouts supposedly saved the entire nation and businesses left and right.

**** 3M.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
You're not talking ab out "simplifying the system", you're talking about getting rid of regulations. I have no problem with regulatory reform that seeks to streamline regulations.

Nope, but the biggest supporters of government intrusion into one's lives are the very people that are responsible for the "current mood". They advocate for spending cuts, a reduction in regulations while also trying to dedicate who should able to marry who, what you should learn in school, what you can put in your body, etc.

Business regulations don't tell me how I should live my life, they prevent businesses from causing harm to the community.
So, you think drugs should be legalized....by that statement i would guess all drugs. Cocaine, heroin, meth, along with marijuana. Is that correct?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
So, you think drugs should be legalized....by that statement i would guess all drugs. Cocaine, heroin, meth, along with marijuana. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct, though some hardcore drugs should be illegal (i.e., the ones that put the user or others at extreme risks).

Of course this won't happen, because the US isn't a free country, its a country of mob rule.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is correct, though some hardcore drugs should be illegal (i.e., the ones that put the user or others at extreme risks).

Of course this won't happen, because the US isn't a free country, its a country of mob rule.
I actually aggree with almost everything you just said. Actually, im pretty conflicted on this particular topic. I believe people should be free to do what they want with their bodies. But the problem is that when they do drugs it has effects on other people.

For example, marijuana is hard to test if a person is currently high. It will remain in the bloodstream for days and even weeks. So, if marjuana was legalized and i rear ended you going 60 miles an hour while i was stoned (which i have done before) then the trooper wont be able to tell if im currently intoxicated or if it was yesterday that i was high.

Also, are you going to have FDA put warning and limits on the amount of cocaine you use. because there are weeker drugs that i cant purchase because i dont have the right disease but i should be able to do a line any time i want. Should Vikaden be legalized too.

P.S. i was never charged for driving while intoxicated (from marjiuana, a few times for alcohol). Ive also never been in an accident while i was drunk although ive been in three while i was stoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business