Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 09:36 AM

6,466 posts, read 5,050,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmosquitox View Post
Seattle, San Francisco and even Rochester all have removed parts of interstate highways. Every single time we hear the argument of "carmageddon" and it never comes to fruition. Those cities, SF and Seattle especially, have thrived since the removal of those highways. Buffalo's radial street pattern, as well as the other over abundance of highways can absorb this traffic perfectly fine. If you're worried about idling cars, sync the lights on our major radials. We also need to be investing in public transit to provide a viable alternative.
I am in complete agreement with you, I think they should put it back the way it was. It won't happen, but it would be fantastic. They should get ride of the I-190, which totally destroys access to the waterfront. Its like the new stadium, a domed waterfront stadium would have been a game changer, but the economic realities killed it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 11:32 AM

37 posts, read 7,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am in complete agreement with you, I think they should put it back the way it was. It won't happen, but it would be fantastic. They should get ride of the I-190, which totally destroys access to the waterfront. Its like the new stadium, a domed waterfront stadium would have been a game changer, but the economic realities killed it
Buffalo leaders have lost the sense of ambition. We used to dream big, dredging the harbor, the Erie Canal, the park system. It's probably because our most ambitious business leaders from back in the day left. I'd imagine if Wells Fargo and American Express stayed, we wouldn't have fallen as far as we did. Hopefully it can start to change. Wish we'd just remove the city highways and invest in transit.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:38 PM

94,673 posts, read 125,786,926 times
Quote:
Buffalo leaders have lost the sense of ambition. We used to dream big, dredging the harbor, the Erie Canal, the park system. It's probably because our most ambitious business leaders from back in the day left. I'd imagine if Wells Fargo and American Express stayed, we wouldn't have fallen as far as we did. Hopefully it can start to change. Wish we'd just remove the city highways and invest in transit.
In relation to this project, what would be some ideas that you would suggest? For instance, I know that a couple of other Upstate systems(CDTA and CENTRO) are getting or are considering Bus Rapid Transit.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:18 PM

6,466 posts, read 5,050,156 times
Funny you should mention that:

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news...-transit-line/

Old 03-12-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In relation to this project, what would be some ideas that you would suggest? For instance, I know that a couple of other Upstate systems(CDTA and CENTRO) are getting or are considering Bus Rapid Transit.
I don't even think it needs to be a heavy investment in BRT/Rail. Those are great and nice to haves in certain corridors. If we can get most routes in the city on 10 minute headways with more through routes and connections in the suburbs, it goes a long way to providing a viable alternative to owning a vehicle.

Harlem, Union, Transit, Milestrip, Southwestern, and Maple should have dedicated routes. I'd also love some limited overnight service on the busiest routes. These are mostly investments in human capital to operate it. NFTA is very reactive, so we're in a death spiral of cutting routes/service, so ridership drops, and more routes are cut.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:57 AM

94,673 posts, read 125,786,926 times
Quote:
I don't even think it needs to be a heavy investment in BRT/Rail. Those are great and nice to haves in certain corridors. If we can get most routes in the city on 10 minute headways with more through routes and connections in the suburbs, it goes a long way to providing a viable alternative to owning a vehicle.

Harlem, Union, Transit, Milestrip, Southwestern, and Maple should have dedicated routes. I'd also love some limited overnight service on the busiest routes. These are mostly investments in human capital to operate it. NFTA is very reactive, so we're in a death spiral of cutting routes/service, so ridership drops, and more routes are cut.
Yes, the investment would make sense due to the fact that 30% of Buffalo residents do not own a vehicle: https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%20Buffalo.pdf

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-12-2024 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 12:34 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,221,860 times
Quote:

Sounds like a lot of money for fewer stops. Going right by shops that could use some business.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Sounds like a lot of money for fewer stops. Going right by shops that could use some business.
In what way is it fewer stops? All I'm suggesting is more frequent headways for buses.

Old 03-12-2024, 05:50 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,221,860 times
Quote:
In what way is it fewer stops? All I'm suggesting is more frequent headways for buses.
For $102 million?

Old 03-13-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
For $102 million?
You should've quoted the article thundarr posted then, because my post was only about headways. Aside from that, "BRT" can work in conjunction with additional stops. In Chicago, there is the Western bus, which stops about every other block, and then the Western Express which stops at major intersections/L stops. https://www.transitchicago.com/bus/x49/

So the more frequent Bailey bus can run at 15 minute headways, and an express bus fires every half hour so people get moved more efficiently down the street.

As for the price, the grant is for repaving with dedicated bus lanes, bike lanes, and most likely improves traffic signals to be more synchronous. Not a bad investment imo, infrastructure is an important part of every day life. Those businesses are going to be served with more pedestrian activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area